Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Small ship docking!!

Discussion in 'General' started by RangedAssassin, Apr 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. RangedAssassin Trainee Engineer

Hey everyone,

I'm new to the forums, I was just wondering everyone's opinion on small ship docking. Wanna dock small ship inside hanger of my big ship. I have been using connectors seeing that landing gears seem finicky. Just wondering what the best way to do it so they don't move around when I move my big ship.

Which ones won't let go, which is easier to use. I like connectors because you can move inventory, thought that I read somewhere the they have a finite break limit where rotors don't. Was thinking about using an advanced rotor then quick bar attach/detach, though some servers won't let you use rotors. Merge blocks work but are kind of clunky.

Anyway, any feedback would be great! If I posted this in the wrong section I'm sorry. Admins can move it or I can delete it.

Thanks!

2. Tobyz28 Apprentice Engineer

Honestly the "safest" way to dock is to stick a small ship on a big ships landing gear, and lock the big ship gear. Also turn off inertial dampeners on the small ship. I actually haven't tried docking connectors in a while though, i would imagine if inertial dampeners are off on the small ship it may be do-able.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

To my knowledge there currently exists no safe way. I hear Connectors are supposed to work but they look unreliable to me what with applied force being able to separate them. There's also the Small-Rotor-To-Large-Rotor trick but that's not safe at high velocities and i suspect it corrupts safe files. And Landing Gears do buck-all, it seems. If anyone knows a way i'd like to hear it too 'cause so far i'm planning on leaving my Hangar Bays empty for safety reasons.

• Like Like x 1
  4. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Use both a connector and a large ship landing gear. And make sure you disable all gyroscopes and thrusters on the small ship (I have them grouped into a group named Ship Controls so I can turn them off all at once). That will keep it working fairly reliably. Of course, with all those disabled, you don't also need to turn off inertial dampers.

I have run into problems at maximum speed, though, so I don't recommend going 101 m/sec. At those speeds, the small ship shifted on the landing gear due to a game glitch (this sometimes happens when a world is loaded, too), causing the connector on the large ship to break. However, the large landing gear survived, and the ship remained locked solid. It lasted several minutes at that speed before breaking. So try to keep it below 80 or so. The game glitch that causes this particular combo to break appeared fairly recently. In 1.075 I believe. It's not a physics engine glitch. It's a game state glitch that causes objects to abruptly jump to a position different than they're supposed to be.

The system is shown here on my Mining Hauler Refit:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

By the time a Galaxy reaches 80 meters per second i've long since arrived at my destination ^^ thanks for the suggestion, will probably try it. But it does sound rather dangerous for my tastes. Honestly i wish we could just use the Large Ship Holoprojector to construct (unconnected) small

shi... wait, small rotor to big rotor tri....

OH MY GOD I NEED TO TEST SOMETHING DON'T WAIT FOR ME

• Like Like x 1
  6. chrisb Senior Engineer

I use the mag-locks mod (not sure who the maker is). I have run a ship up to 1000ms (speed mod) and the small ships stay attached. However, I've run for around 20mins or so, so not sure if it would be o.k. on constant long period.
    I have them on a ramp type thing, not sure if you can make it out in this pic below. Its two mining barges on raised ramps.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  7. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Ah, shoot, forgot the Projector doesn't support multiple grids :( i have not played too long.

8. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

As far as I know, advanced rotors don't support the attach/detach functions.

• Like Like x 1
  9. RangedAssassin Trainee Engineer

I have the mag lock mod also, set to auto lock then just hot bar block group of them for off/on! Works great! But,
    1. You can't move inventory through it.
    2. Its not a stock block, so some servers may not use it.

I find the large ship landing gear to be bulky, same as the merge block.

Thanks everyone, appreciate the super fast feedback.

10. mecra Apprentice Engineer

I do what other people have said. I have a connector on the bottom of the ship that's on. it kind of guides the ship down onto the two large ship landing gear. I then lock the large ship landing gear and turn off the small ship thrusters. This design seems to minimize the rattling that happens. you can also use timer blocks that unlock and then relocks the landing gear after 30 seconds. This allows the small ship to readjust itself according to the connector, and then locks back into place.

L-C-L is the configuration. the connector sits between the landing gear and the small ship straddles them.

-Edit- This configuration allows me to move up to 750m/s with no issue. (speed mod on server with hyper thrusters)

• Like Like x 2
  11. RangedAssassin Trainee Engineer

I like that idea! Can you still use the connector?

12. mecra Apprentice Engineer

Yep. You can either use it before or after the landing gear are locked. I'll take a pic when I get home and upload it here. I don't turn off my connectors, so when you pull away from it you just have to adjust your departure course to compensate for the pull of the connector. To remove this issue, you can just turn off the connector when you turn off the gear but I like leaving it on because it guides my ship onto it when I come in.

-Edit- Leaving the connector on also makes the landing on the gear far more gentle as the connector does all the positioning for you. I still have armor blocks that I use as my small ships "feet" but you could use anything in place of that.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Kain Reaver Apprentice Engineer

You could turn off the connector on the small ship temporarily until you've cleared the large ship/station connector. This helps prevent potential accidents caused by the connector pull.

• Like Like x 1
  14. mecra Apprentice Engineer

Definitely. I didn't include a toolbar option for that when I made the original blueprint and I don't want to rebuild the cockpit again just for that option. I just got used to the pull and compensated. But yeah, if you are worried about doing damage, you could just toolbar option the small ship connector off and on as needed.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Try using a large to small connected to the projector and then a small to small connection attached to the other side of the projector, if I'm not wrong that should work.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

I thought about that but i want to keep the ship piston- and rotor-free to prevent corruption.

17. plaYer2k Master Engineer

The by far best version i know is the large-to-small-rotor trick in combination with a connector.

Here is my quote from a recent reddit post:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/spaceengine..._you_dock_your_ships_or_how_do_i_make/cqc4xpq

Bring head and base in proximity when detached, save the world and reload it. That will make them reattach again.

18. Aldakoopa Apprentice Engineer

Well that's a roundabout way of doing it.

19. plaYer2k Master Engineer

Same for having to apply "Attach" to rotors in order to connect them again.
    Especially when one is used to simply throw them into place letting them automatically attach.

While there sure is a convenient method to automate the "attach" action, using save and reload still is more convenient imo than having to manually access the terminal and apply the attach action on the rotor you need.

So sure that situation is not idea but it works. It got reported several times afaik but the advanced rotors never got an attach function and some people - obviously not including me - even think that it should be that way.

20. mecra Apprentice Engineer

[​IMG]

Sorry for the noisy picture. But as you can see, the connector sits between the landing gear. I just leave it yellow until I need to lock it.

• Like Like x 1
  21. DiBBz Apprentice Engineer

this on multiplayer or Singleplayer ?

landing gears and locking them onto the ship seems to work fine for me same with a connector. but please note thats not the case in MP as landing gears are buggy as all hell when you lock stuff with landing gears

either use a mag lock or connector

22. Lupus Irae Apprentice Engineer

I make sure on my utility ships to make a small "skid" of light armor. The ship "lands" on a large ship landing gear. I lock the large ship landing gear remotely, then power down the utility ship.

Edit:That is on singleplayer. On multiplayer, our large ship mobile base does not move much, or very quickly, so I cannot attest to how well it works.

23. mecra Apprentice Engineer

You are partially right. Pistons and rotors can cause the large ship to shift and can cause the small ships to move on the lgs. I removed those on my ship on my small craft are solid in place. Like I said in an above post, you can also use timer blocks to reset the lgs to allow the small ship to readjust after some time. I only play on my mp ds server so I can confirm it works

24. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

The connector alone seems to be doing a good job as long as you're not docking a really heavy small ship. With enough force the magnetic force of the connector can be overridden. The more mass your small ship has and the more severe the maneuver/acceleration the more likely the small ship will break free.

Under 30,000kg should be fine with just the connector.

25. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I'm still mostly afraid of landing gears.
    My small ships tend to be very lightweight, using just a connector has worked great for me.

26. ajacstern Trainee Engineer

I typically use a maglock and connector to dock my small ship to a large ship. I do wish keen would make it safer though. Maybe a specific docking block?

27. mecra Apprentice Engineer

What speed is your larger ship capable of traveling at? I was traveling at high speed (500 m/s) and a server save caused my small ship to propel forward from the connector and explode all over the place. Ever since then I used large landing gear and that hasn't been a problem. The big thing about LGs is to reset them every now and then.

28. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

just 104, i have not gone that fast on an online server. Most servers won't even have such a high top speed because of strange issues like that (among others).

29. ltdan83 Apprentice Engineer

I just grind the ship up when I'm done then rebuild it when I need, I can make a small ship very quickly.

30. mecra Apprentice Engineer

gotcha. Our server runs very minimal mods and as such don't have many problems with really fast speeds. As long as the players know of the speed mod, they usually design things that don't cause problems, or they just make sure their max speed doesn't go very high. Simply going 250 vs 104 can make a world of difference!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.