Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

small ship welders buff

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Fipmip, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Fipmip Trainee Engineer

I've been trying to make a small grid bomber that can print a small grid bomb 3 blocks wide.

The problem is, the welders only touch a 3x3x2 (z,y,z respectively, x horizontal across the screen, y vertical across the screen, z into the screen) area in front of them, so i need welders on both sides of the bomb. each welder needs a conveyor junction behind it to feed components. So to make a bomb printing bay, i need two sets of welders and two sets of conveyors, and 3 blocks in between the two sets for the bomb. this makes for profile of 19 blocks which is just overly wide for a one man small grid bomber and makes for a cockpit that looks entirely out of proportion.

Furthermore, the welders are just about touching the bomb, which makes launching the bomb really hazardous. If i wanted to bite the bullet and increase the profile to 21 blocks wide to allow for one block clearance between the bomb and the welders, the welders would no longer be able to reach the whole bomb.

space engineers should reward players for thinking beyond the basic turret and static weapons blocks. Bomb printing is a very basic bit of engineering that should reward players for going to the effort of using the physics engine to their advantage, but is currently overly hard to do. It is not impossible and can still be done with finagling of pistons and grinders, it is just very annoying right now and needs a lot more space than it would seem at first try.

For this reason, please increase the z axis of small ship welders by two or more blocks, to allow for both clearance when printing and reach to print well.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.