Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Smoke test for air leaks

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Archon_SD, Jun 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Archon_SD Trainee Engineer

I cannot know the complexity of the ask, so I'm making this suggestion from a thematically accurate/useful direction.

I've got a square room with glass walls surrounded by armor blocks. The corners are angular. (side-turned slopes) The glass is touching and welded to 100%. In one room made the same I have air tightness. In this room, which is not block for block the same, but logically "tight", it won't pressurize.

To aid in resolving situations like this, it would be really nice to have a tool to generate smoke, and the ability to tell vents to spill air regardless of pressure, (with consummate oxygen consumption) to allow the generated smoke (or particles floating in space) to be drawn into the leak point.

If anyone from Keen has the chance, can you let us know where you guys are in the process of exposing information around pressurization? (other than a really out of date wiki with part names matching incorrect air tightness qualities?

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

wait... I thought there was a mod that pointed you to where there was a pressure leak.... leme look.

Yup The build info mod literally points right at the leak. It adds a new option to the vents. Any vent in an area that is leaking will place moving blue dots to the leak from the vent you activate the detection from just like a smoke trail.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Archon_SD Trainee Engineer

Thanks @ViroMan ! Using that mod I was able to identify the (honestly ridiculous) leaking location in the room. In a room with 4 corners, for some reason one corner refused to seal, while the other three, with the exact same blocks, do. I replaced the slanted glass (in only one corner) with 2 solid, square blocks, and it sealed. It's pretty stupid on the surface. Three corners are happy to have slanted glass, one corner just isn't. *sigh* Without the mod, I'd never have been able to find it, since it's illogical.

I had destroyed the whole room, and rebuilt it once already.. but it still refused to seal, when it looked like it logically should. By following the leak indicator, I was able to remove one block at a time and replace them with known-good (simple square) blocks until it sealed. I wish it weren't so, but it is.

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

no problem. glad to help.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Nice, i never really do pressurize ship as mine as usually hack job throwaways.
    but thats a fine looking useful mod.

6. Malware Master Engineer

I hope you reported that.

7. Archon_SD Trainee Engineer

I have not. I would not know how to, other than to make a post about it here.

BTW @Malware, even though you disagreed with my first post asking Keen about including tools in the vanilla game to aid in working with pressurization, I still believe the vanilla game, sans mod, should have info and tools to allow the pressurization system to reasonably be used. I can't fathom disagreeing with that notion.

8. Malware Master Engineer

There's a dedicated forum right here.

Um... No I did not?

9. Archon_SD Trainee Engineer

At the moment, you appear to be right. There is a red x on my first message with 'disagree' next to it. I wrote that comment when, after I hit 'list' next to the 'disagree', it had your sig next to it. Now it shows @Vulture800 for some reason. If I was mistaken, apologies. But I strongly remember the page showing that to me originally. Computers, and memories, are both very fallible beasties.

Does this thread count as 'reporting,' or is there a more formal reporting place/process? I didn't fully detail the world and exact components to repro, but I want to be sure where to do it so I only do it once, and to find out if they'd want a world set up (or a file put somewhere) to illustrate the problem?

10. Malware Master Engineer

I know I'm right, because I both want such a tool myself and has suggested such a tool myself in the past. I would never disagree with such a suggestion.

No, I'm afraid it doesn't. While certain devs do look through this part of the forums now and again, it's not the "right devs" so to speak. There are specific employees tasked with transferring forum bug reports to their internal system.

https://forums.keenswh.com/forums/bug-reports.326950/

It's necessary to provide a good description on how to reproduce a problem. This is the only way they can fix it: If they can't experience the problem for themselves, they can't find out why the problem occurs... obviously :p

The more information you can provide to help them reproduce, the better. If you can actually provide a small world showcasing the problem, that's even better.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.