Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So, even or odd number of blocks?

Discussion in 'Community Creations' started by mecra, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. mecra Apprentice Engineer

You all know the question I'm asking. :D

2. BoredBoz Apprentice Engineer

Both, It all depends on the design that you are going for. My large grid combat vessels seem to be on even number grids, while my exploration ships have been on odd number grids. All of my small ships have been on odd number grids and I imagine most will be because cockpits take up a space of 3x3 blocks.

3. WardenWolf Junior Engineer

Odd. Things are just harder and more awkward when your ship doesn't have a true center.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

Most are odd, but two of my three corvettes are even. When you're trying to keep things small, every block counts.

5. Chimochay Trainee Engineer

These.

It's always nice to have a center to work with, but if space is at a premium you compromise.

6. Barley672 Trainee Engineer

For large ships I generally do odd, but my current "Flagship" of sorts is actually even. All my small ships are odd because of the cockpits being 3 wide.

7. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

I've done both, but odd more often than even.

8. Maximinus Trainee Engineer

Odd, because corridors are much better 3 wide and I tend to have them in the center. This leaves room for lights in the middle and thin (modded) interior walls to the side that give more space in the adjacent rooms.

9. taksraven72 Trainee Engineer

The center line is an important thing, so most of my ships are odd. Generally when I have made them even it hasn't worked out too well. It can cause issues being odd with the new airtight doors, however......

10. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

I can't think of a single time it's been even. Just the nature of my ships, the walkway/doors are just 1 wide.
    One of my favorite ships that I've made so far (Nomad) is asymmetrical, not sure if that counts.

11. mecra Apprentice Engineer

Even numbered block ships simply don't exist in my plane of existence. The only circumstance I may do it is even numbers height-wise, to allow for large hanger doors. However, with the extra long hanger door mods, I can even do odd numbered heights too.

12. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

although now i just had a brainstorm to use the newer 1/2 height armor to make a 2 block wide 'centered' hallway..

• Like Like x 2
  13. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Started out even numbered but have changed to odd numbered because of corridor issues.

14. chrisb Senior Engineer

Its what I've been playing at. ;)

OT: I do like the centre block..

15. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

I am odd.

Therefore, my ships are also odd.

16. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

Odd. Off centre cockpits in an otherwise symmetrical ship annoy me.

17. kittle Senior Engineer

Both.
    it depends on what you are building and what they are supposed to do.

Stations usually are even because i can expand in any direction I need.
    Ships vary a lot depending on the purpose and starting point

18. mexmer Senior Engineer

it's not odd, to have all odd. just because.

19. Hellothere! Apprentice Engineer

I keep almost all my ship's width odd, simply because cockpits, doors and docking are very awkward otherwise. I sometimes build even heights though. Also, a number of small drones have even width.

20. Wizlawz Master Engineer

odd, i always do odd, gotta love that center, comes in handy for many things

{wish mods were the same, what a pain in the arse trying to center a mod that just does circles around it}

21. Gentry Senior Engineer

Mostly Odd with a few exceptions.

22. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

23. UrbanLegend Apprentice Engineer

Odd. Otherwise you need double doors

24. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

Here a good way we can all have a little fun and get out of our "comfort" zones. We each need to build a ship, if you normally build even, built an odd. And if you normally build an odd build even. And let's all post our results here and see what we all come up with.

• Like Like x 1
  25. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

This is a odd question with a odd answer.

• Like Like x 2
  26. Swanicus Apprentice Engineer

Odd. Can't seem to build many even ships that I actually like in the end

27. AutoMcD Senior Engineer

28. Spets Master Engineer

odd most of the time, cockpit is 1 large block or 3 small blocks , so, also the large thrusters, large cargo, large reactor, etc. so if you want them in the center the answer is obvious, that happen also in MC with the doors and stuff

29. RyansPlace Apprentice Engineer

Six block wide cockpit. This ugly rig is a bomber with a gravity gun I worked on last year (a bit outdated). The pilot flew from the right seat while copilot operated the weapon systems from the left seat.

I used timers on large/small rotor merges for the instruments. It have a damage control display that received pings every five seconds from timers placed around the ship. A dead timer would show as a red light on the yellow panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  30. Agnar Apprentice Engineer

Odd, always odd. My biggest pet peeve when flying a ship is not having a centered cockpit, it annoys me to no end for some reason so all my ships have a centered cockpit.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.