Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

so, no survival overhaul on this major update?!

Discussion in 'General' started by Sagi, Jun 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Sagi Apprentice Engineer

Okay i'm not a programmer and this major update will probably do alot in SE.
    But as a simple gamer i don't have the feeling this is a major update?!

I was really hoping to see the survival overhaul or at least the wind turbines or parachutes in the previous teasers...

• Like Like x 3
    • Late Late x 1
  2. Spets Master Engineer

Major updates only means new stuff? *sigh....

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

If it improves subgrid behaviour, jumping wheels, rotors spazzing out etc in MP then I am as happy about it as a pig in shtaco :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Came across about 3 separate bugs.

5. Stormigedon Trainee Engineer

As a programmer I can tell you the physics multithreading is a fairly major thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Malware Master Engineer

Oh yeah. This one was major alright. All the multithreading will have been a serious workload, and they're not done yet because if they've been able to catch all bugs caused by multithreading on the first go I'll eat my hat.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nacon Junior Engineer

A lot of stuff behind the screen that you can't see. Maybe feel though.

Yes, it's a major update, due to the fact they worked on multithreading physic.

Maybe next week you get to see the stuff you wanted? Nonetheless, patience has its rewards.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Malware Master Engineer

The probability of another major release directly after another isn't very likely though...

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What kind of hat ? :stare:

10. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

i mean i was a little bit sad there was no teased things added yet.

but at the same time i may not understand all the technical stuff 100% but it does sound like it got a serious optimization i heard something along the lines of
    "unnecessarily blocks are updated at a slower rate..." so that must mean armor blocks in generate...no need to keep looking at them every to see if there was any changes.

i just hope we don't have to wait another 6 or so weeks before wheels get the teased thing added.
    hydrogen and wind power seems exciting but really i'd prefer wheels than new power methods. :p

edit: oh damn i totally forgot about parachutes!

11. Nacon Junior Engineer

Oh I know, just teasing him with false sense of hope. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Multi-threading will go a long way with multi-player... but only on independent consumer machines hosting games. Game servers are generally single core instances of server. They won't benefit from multi-threading. In fact, their performance will get worse and worse. But you're paying $10-15 a month for the minimum experience. You have to build/buy your own box and host it yourself in order to get the full benefits.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. OoieGooie Trainee Engineer

Think of performance patches as making the stuff you already use - better. :) My poor laptop is grateful for it ;)

New content usually has a short life expectancy anyway unless it is something functional such as pistons or rotors. Items like this can allow you hours of experimentation building crazy inventions. A parachute has a simple function and although helpful, isn't exactly hours of joy.

14. rexxar Senior Engineer

Survival stuff is months away, just chill.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Found one survival overhaul, you now have to find a method that replaces connectors.

16. OoieGooie Trainee Engineer

I created ejectors and collectors to continue mining ore. Unfortunately it seems doing so crashes my game every-single-time. :(

17. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Multi-threaded physics goes a hell-of-a-long way in playing on a true server. If you go back a bit, Keen was asked about this... and they said "not possible." Then they went ahead and did it anyways.

There's going to be bugs. There always is. But being able to use all the cores in my server to host a game will mean some VERY happy players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. sammyvoncheese Apprentice Engineer

Major update just means new bugs and major regressions.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Herpaderpa Trainee Engineer

They're not gonna be focusing on survival and new blocks for some time. Marek said they where gonna focus 100% on performance and optimization now over the next 3 months.
    I can't speak for you guys, but that makes me really happy at least. Perhaps at the end we'll finnally be able to have some stable multiplayer :D
    (a man must have dreams)

20. Blako Apprentice Engineer

Muliplayer sim speed was killing the joy of a friends only server. If this restores sim speed, its major. Now if rotors, pistons, and wheels start working in muliplayer that too would be major.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.