Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So, this is Mr. Clang?

Discussion in 'General' started by J-Cataclism, Mar 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

I still hadn´t meet this fine gentleman, but I must say I haven´t tried anything "unusual" so far. I also confess to NOT have any curiosity about "him", nor envy for those who already knew him.

Darn it! Mr. Clang doesn´t like rotors on small grids, at all! More than two hours trying and rebuilding stuff, to try to avoid it... nothing!

Had to change my plans and DO NOT use rotors and pistons together, too close. :-(

2. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You win!

• Like Like x 1
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

To combat Clang for pistons and rotors if you build it in space first then paste it in on the planet, all will be fine....usually... :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Yeoman Trainee Engineer

The pipes you were building at the end there looked redundant, maybe just don't place them? I suspect it might have something to do with how close your subgrid was to the wheel. Try turning up the braking force on the rotors a soon as you place them or even turning on the rotor lock until it's finished.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ShadedMJ Apprentice Engineer

"Shoulda had wheeled vehicle locked to ground with landin' gear"

• Like Like x 1
  6. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, but it was deliberately, because I needed some extra kind of "conversion" between the large and small connection types. ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Calaban Junior Engineer

I would guess that was a wheel hitbox overlap. Placing the conveyor elbow made the rotor head "twitch" and the whole grid did a calculation.... And Clang stepped in, reviewed the design, disapproved greatly, and pressed the "wig out right this second" button in distaste and pure disgust.

So, ultimately it was an operator error and design spacing flaw (wheels on suspension are NOT resting places), but yeah, the fact it jumped directly towards other structures, and not just randomly down the hill.... Is how you know you've sensed the intelligent, and malevolent will of Clang. And confirmed for yourself that yes; He hates you. He may be a myth, yet the circumstances still mount, and the cult grows.

You may now join the club. #TheHated. There will be no cool-aid

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Placing a piston on a wheeled vehicle will cause a complete wigging out of your small grid eventually. I tried this in multiplayer placing an ejector on the end of a piston. It was about 30 minutes of cartwheels and grid destruction.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Gee, I've been using my Blue Crab miner for quite some time now without a single mishap. It has two advanced rotors to allow the drill arms to tilt for controlling the drill angle. What did I do right?

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You played in single player.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Pistons...rotors...to-mā-toes...to-mă-toes.

14. Malware Master Engineer

I run two deep-drilling rovers, one small grid with... I think 9 nested pistons, one large grid with more. Both work flawlessly.

Well. I guess only the large grid one can be called deep-drilling, really :p

They've served me very well. In survival, no jetpack

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

But have you tried them on a multiplayer server? That's the litmus test for design stability.

16. Malware Master Engineer

Nope. Things break in multiplayer. Often due to other players, too... :p

17. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Which is a crying shame. Very few of my builds are static builds. My largest ship features a giant rotor. If it breaks there.s no fixing it. In single player it's not a concern. I don't know if it's an issue in multiplayer because I don't think she would be allowed on someone else's server and I don't have my own running yet.

I wonder if there is an answer that does not involve starting from scratch?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Guys, I appreciate VERY MUCH all those tips and expertise!
    Thanks to them, I´ve finally managed to create some stuff with a lot of rotors and pistons (shared on the "Creations" session here in the forums). And ALMOST no Clang this time! :woot:

Much obliged, gentleman!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.