Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

So you think the wolves eating your armour blocks are unrealistic ?

Discussion in 'General' started by Roxette, Jan 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Roxette Senior Engineer

[​IMG]

Think again! :D

• Funny Funny x 15
    • Like Like x 1
  2. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

Just after this pic was taken, the first wolf exploded, leaving a small pile of metal plates and a handful of computer components.

• Funny Funny x 14
  3. Harrekin Master Engineer

Yeah, steel armour blocks are totally the same as mm thick aluminium :p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

:D

5. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Well, light armor is only about 1.9mm thick.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

*attempts to ruin fun*
    that could be plastic thou!

7. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

SE wolves had 5 - 10 decades to do strength training.

8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

When they were cyberhounds they made sense.
    i must of been one of the only people who didn't mind their creeper-like nature....ka-boom little mecho-doggy..

"alls you wanteds was some attentions and by attentions i mean saws to the face."
    [​IMG]

9. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

I figured they still were sans explosive. They drop metal plates, computers, and other components.

10. Robotnik V Apprentice Engineer

Plot twist, the insurance didn't cover random wolf attacks.

11. Harrekin Master Engineer

The wolves were a stupid addition to the game either way.

Either give them a proper AI or remove them.

An enemy "for the sake of an enemy" is pretty poor game play.

• Agree Agree x 6
  12. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Cyberhounds offered the opportunity for a cyberhound factory mechanic and optional goal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I agree with the proper AI.......the way they move around is so....spastics and derpy....
    like you only really notice it if you're using a gun mod that adds sniper rifles or powerful single shotters....like the engineers defence kit ballistic knife.
    i'm no cod fanboy but the ballistic knife is nice....only needs a touch of iron and nickle...then simple iron for the knifes...horray for spring based projectiles! :D

also seems to kill the wolfs in one shot if you nail them in the head.

but like i said...you only then to notice how derpy their pathfinding is when you're using a slow shooter like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Zoladen Apprentice Engineer

My biggest gripe about the wolves (aside from the leftover cyberhound aspect of eating armor) is that them attacking a person is not typical wolf behavior. I mean, space, not earth wolves and all that, but wolves typical response is to avoid contact with humans. They are scared of humans and this fear starts developing weeks after birth (If I remember correctly. It has been a while since I researched wolves but I do recall that it is early in their development process). Of course if you teach them to lose this fear, you then become endanger of falling on their dinner menu.

I would prefer an animal that is more aggressive in general towards the unknown. I'm sure something suitable could be found with a quick internet search. Of course it isn't earth so they could just make up their own animal like what was done with the Sabiroids. (Or however they're spelled)

And yes, better AI with the creatures in general. Have them hunt. Have them sneak around. Get low to the ground, move slowly and avoid drawing attention to them until they feel they're close enough to strike. Sabiroids are a bit large to be sneaking up on you, but if you have a smaller, pack hunting creature they could more easily go unnoticed.

15. IPD Apprentice Engineer

Mini spiders
    uggh
    --- Automerge ---
    I dont want to be eaten

16. halipatsui Senior Engineer

it would be Would e cool if we could build cyberhunds with some machine.
    imaie pumping enemy base full of those fuckers from beneath the ground.
    o

17. IPD Apprentice Engineer

That would be evil, imagine pumping them into a pit and putting your enemies cryo pod and medbay above it, of course he has no hydrogen so all he does is fall to his death until he gives you what you want.

18. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

sneaking around until they're close enough to strike.
    You've reminded me of the cloak from payday 2.
    spawns in finds a good hiding spot lies in wait until a player gets close enough
    then they charges with a distinctive WOLOLOLO noise attempting to knock them down with a kick.

I just imagine if the wolfs of SE hid around the environment and player built ships/bases waiting for the moment to surprise attack the engineer

--- Automerge ---

Tfw in the future they clone people to torture them to death until they get the information they want. O.o

19. IPD Apprentice Engineer

Reminds me of something else, oh ya that movie were they fight aliens and the main character keeps dying and coming back to life

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

So then.. all the wolves in SE are British wolves.
    :>

Really bad teething problems everywhere

21. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Wolololol?
    You sure you were not attacked by age of empires priest?

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Shatara422 Trainee Engineer

23. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

:p thats how both the payday 2 and age of empires community spells it.
    heres an example of the most haunting sound to hear in payday 2.

whats worse is as the cloaker closes in the distance your camerca is forces to look at him right as he lands the kick or hit.

24. halipatsui Senior Engineer

What happens when sam fisher from splinter cell has a child with a jihadist?
    :

25. damoran Junior Engineer

I apologize ahead of time here but I never got to say my peace about the wolves/cyberhounds. I always thought it was a temporary thing that was a joke until they had time to rework an actual NPC enemy into the game but here we are many many months after they where added, and on a second "skin" if you will of the original and I feel the need to rant a bit.

From a realism standpoint it's not just lazy, beyond that, it is impossible on multiple levels...

It would have been marginally better had they also added the deer from ME along with it. Then at least the wolves have a food supply to explain their continued existence considering they were "dropped" off by humans in previous trips to said planet. Considering the climate is so similar to earth they don't die off from the elements even though it is cold enough that liquid water does not exist (which would also eliminate plant life btw) and there are no microorganisms that would immediately kill them off. I could then at least pretend the deer get water from eating the plants and the wolves get liquid from eating the deer even though this is a stretch by any part of the imagination. But no there are no deer. So then I have to say well where is their food supply? Us? Explorers that just happen to land on this planet frequently enough to sustain what appears to be an unlimited number of fully grown adult wolves?

I'd rather it be some fantastical thing like one of those worms from Dune or Tremors. Seriously, something I'm not familiar with IRL so I can just say to myself there's water underground that I cannot see and they absorb nutrients from the soil of the planet...who knows...but even then it does not make since because animals evolve based on their biological needs. If they absorb nutrients and water from the ground then they probably wouldn't even develop a mouth or teeth for chewing meat or eyes/ears to track prey like a human. This creature would have zero interest in humans at all because it wouldn't have had contact with them at all. The only way that makes sense is if it is supposed to be earth...in which case humans would have to still be there for this creature to hunt in order to survive if we are on the menu. Even if we are a meal of opportunity, what else is it eating that explains it's evolution into a hunter of aliens? ....but also one that eats metal? ...and then you have to say that the planet is visited by enough alien species that this creature can sustain itself on these visitors.

Seriously, where are the realism people on this....somebody whispers something about sound effects in space and they come out of the wood work with books on everything that is wrong with a sound effect in space. Yet here we are with magic damn wolves!

I'll give KSH the benefit of the doubt here and continue hoping that they are going to revisit the wolf again and either remove it (because it's a horrible idea) or make it into something else that makes a little more sense but honestly, you cannot just add one creature and accomplish this which is why I want barren worlds to start with. If it's gonna be extremely half-assed, just don't do it.

26. Harrekin Master Engineer

1.9mm steel vs 1 mm aluminium?

Why are we even having this discussion?

There's clearly no comparison between the two...

You can damage a car by leaning on it.

27. Roxette Senior Engineer

Because finding something amusing related to the game and being able to laugh about it is much better than crying over the broken game physics and all the irritating bugs? :)

• Like Like x 1
  28. halipatsui Senior Engineer

I think we should just be happy that the game screws up our builds.
    Doggie style....

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I was always hoping they're make like derelict stations spawn in that have parts of the cyberhound scattered around these bases that would at least offer some reason that...

oh "a time ago cyberhounds were produced in mass quantities for war and private security these war factories have long since decayed but the cyberhounds can still be found in mass numbers scattered far and wild across the planet still running their seek and destory programming that originally caused the downfall and eventually evacuation of this earth-like planet..."

[​IMG]

Also i have yet to actually see any firefiles....suppose to be around trees and seen at night....

30. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

Most car body panels are ~0.8-0.9mm sheet steel, aluminum would dent more, not be easily righted and would experience greater wear. If they are not steel they are generally plastic or composite, neither of which resemble the car panels and damage depicted. At the given thickness I suspect that outside of damage relating to elasticity (denting) the strength of the materials is very similar with exceptions to sheer strength in which steel is significantly stronger than aluminum even at small scales.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.