Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Solved] Just watched weeks of work glitch off into space

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Ernaem, Nov 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Ernaem Trainee Engineer

I know it's a beta (as a programmer myself) but jeez man...

This problem has apparently (according to old threads) been around for ages. I thought it was gone, but I just connected two of my large ships (via vanilla connector) and watched them immediately start spiraling wildly, while glitching off into space.

It's survival, and between the two ships in question, both of my medbays, and millions of ingots (along with everything else I own) has now disappeared.

To be frank, I don't understand why you would (as devs) quite literally work on anything other than this problem until it is resolved. It's absolutely game breaking, and is without a doubt losing you players, reputation, and future revenue (there's absolutely no way I'd recommend that someone purchase this game without warning them about the fact that Survival is essentially unplayable right now).

Love the game, and cannot wait to see how things develop - but please, please, please, fix this problem.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Survival is not unplayable right now. It is 90% the only way I play this game/sandbox. The other 10% is making BP's in creative for my survival maps. There are issues for certain but, If you avoid pistons and rotors you just got rid of almost all of the issues.

For sure there are few... issues with connectors when you connect two grids. Ships to a station grid for example. The ships engines may not recognize your input after a disconnect and have the possibility of crashing into something.

But you become aware of these issues and plan around them. Sure, you shouldn't have to plan around glitches but, THIS IS BETA! I agree that pistons and rotors are WELL know issues that should have been fixed MANY patches ago and were reported as fixed and were not but, well... there you go. I am done ranting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ernaem Trainee Engineer

I pretty much just do not use pistons or rotors, ever, and avoid grav gens too because of some weird glitching I've seen.

These are avoidable. Avoiding connectors and landing gear is really not possible though, if you plan on doing pretty much anything interesting. As far as I can tell, there is nothing you can do to avoid this bug other than just never connecting anything.

Most of the time what I do is connect for a very brief moment to see if my ship will start randomly flying around. If it does (it usually does) I disconnect immediately and pray nothing gets destroyed - and try again until it appears stable. However even when it is stable, if you try moving either of the ships while connected, they go absolutely nuts and start glitching 1-10 meters at a time while spiraling around so quickly that if you leave the cockpit you are instantly killed (same thing happens if you respawn in medbay).

I've had this happen many times now. Once was a very large base on a planet, which glitched into outer space (small ship attached to station). Another time was with my mining ship in space (small ship to large ship), which along with my station flew off into oblivion. Then yesterday, I came back with a load of ore, connected my ship (large ship to large ship), and it immediately began spinning rapidly and hopping around randomly, and I was completely unable to recover anything. In this case my framerate dropped to (not exaggerating) 0.02 fps within about 800m of my ships (when I tried to chase it) so recovery (snagging a cockpit and disconnected the ships) was way out of the question.

I've seen it happen on multiple servers including 100% vanilla - and I've read quite a few articles from other people describing similar stories.

As I mentioned before, I know it's a Beta - and I know that physics sims are a huge nightmare to program. The purpose of my post is not so much to complain as it is to recommend a shift in priority to fix this. The game has many minor bugs, which I would say includes most complete crashes - however this is IMO much worse than a crash. In survival, you can't just log back in to get your entire base back. Once it happens, everything is just... gone.

TL;DR - Wonderful, wonderful game - but please fix this. I'm hesitant to build pretty much anything in survival, having seen my entire game wiped four/five times now since buying the game 3 weeks ago.
    --- Automerge ---
    Very happy to give a nice update.

I spawned in my mindlessly spiralling and glitching ship (5-10 meter jumps every second or so), and was able to disable all the connectors and landing gears via remote control / antenna and it stopped spazzing, and I rescued my ship =). Now begins the 900km journey back home! (thank god for autopilot).

4. Malware Master Engineer

@Emaem psst, it's not a beta yet, it's still an alpha ;) They know very well about the problems with the mechanicals, they've tried fixing them several times. They don't work too bad in single player, far from perfect yet though, but they're far, far worse in multiplayer. And the multiplayer itself has been deemed higher priority to fix as it applies to even more people.

Oh and another little tip. Every bug that affects a certain person makes the game "unplayable" for them and should be fixed "so you don't lose players" etc. That argument lost its meaning long, long ago and is now nothing but white noise... :D I don't have count how many people have tried using that to make "their" bug the most important one. But as a programmer yourself, surely you know that there's a bigger picture to consider, and as only a player, you have access only to a fraction of this picture.

Sorry, it's early in the morning yet and I haven't had my coffee...

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ernaem Trainee Engineer

Very happy to give a nice update.

I spawned in my mindlessly spiralling and glitching ship (5-10 meter jumps every second or so), and was able to disable all the connectors and landing gears via remote control / antenna and it stopped spazzing, and I rescued my ship =). Now begins the 900km journey back home! (thank god for autopilot).

@Malware

You're of course correct, and I totally understand. I know that every bug is important to fix - but I'd say that they should scale in priority based on the impact they have, of course multiplied by the number of users affected. I'm fuzzy on the second one but I know it isn't just me, and it isn't just one server.

My game crashes all the time, for example, but that doesn't really bug me at all. I know it's an Alpha/Beta which is why I paid $25 instead of full price (100% happy with this). My post is not a complaint at all, just a tip as an end user with development experience. I think that this particular bug is an absolute showstopper on par with "game doesn't open" type issues (perhaps even moreso due to frustration factor) - so should be fixed ASAP. During alpha/beta stage, every user and every issue ripples out into release date popularity exponentially - as community reception is more or less the key factor in how successful a game release is. I'd wager that fixing this ASAP would go a long way to not just avoiding people just quitting out of frustration - but it'd also send a strong message that the dev team is doing their best to iron out major fixes in a prompt fashion (not doing this has been the undoing of many otherwise great games).

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  6. Malware Master Engineer

@Ernaem I know. And you're not wrong. But... there's still a lot of work left on this game before it's finished and the Space Engineers team consisted of 14 people in may, including non-programmers unless I'm mistaken, so they have only so many resources. And you're not the only end user with development experience. I've got more than 25 years of it... this game attracts engineers. There's plenty of us here :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ernaem Trainee Engineer

I suppose that's true - and I also suppose that makes for a very unique dev experience as well - although probably in a good way.

=)

8. System Error Message Trainee Engineer

if you have a very big ship the glitching wont be as bad because of the size and speed limit or a block. Just dont connect ship to ship and use stations instead.

9. Ernaem Trainee Engineer

That's usually what I do, however doesn't work in situations where you actually need to move.

As of right now, the only way I know how to move ships together is to put'em all on autopilot towards a waypoint.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.