Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Some Beginner Questions after 1 Week of Trial and Error

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by Losen1983, Nov 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Losen1983 Trainee Engineer

I'm playing Medieval Engineers now since 1 week, mostly with trial and error. Most of the things worked like a charm but there are some questions after this first phase. First, yesterday i have created a small windmill. The windmill blades are added to a rotor block. On the back of this rotor i have added a round beam and at the end of this beam is nearby round plate made with square beams. Rotated 90° there are a second plate made with the same technique do transfer the horizontal energy to vertical. On this vertical plate a beam goes now down to the ground floor of the windmill to a second rotor. I don't know if this second rotor is needed or not, but it works. Sometimes the edges of the plates touches the other plate and so the whole rotations stops for some seconds, but after a few seconds they drive again. Is there something i can do, so that they don't touch the edges? As a second question, how can i drive the grindstone with this energy from the windmill? The grindstone is so small and i don't find a way to connect it to my system.

Then i have seen some blueprints. If i understand it correctly, i can save parts of my buildings or complete buildings with this for later use. But how can i use it? For instance, in find it very complicated to put the windmill blades n place at the rotor. How can i save only the the rotor with the attached windmill blades as a blueprint?

Another question belongs to a weather system in the game. I have build my fortress on a high hill and i can hear some wind. Can i use the wind to drive my windmill? What is with rain or water? Are there rivers planed, so that i can build a watermill, where the water drive the mill? Or water for a castle moat and for the plants? Water is for me THE thing which i miss the most in this game.

Ahh additionally i have a technical question: Currently I'm playing only in local LAN together with my son. Is it possible to open such a game as a non-dedicated server to the internet, so that other players can join this multiplayer session? What port must i open for this on my router? Or is there a dedicated server available for Linux which i can run on my Raspberry Pi?

2. Cetric Junior Engineer

Oh-oh, the classic question about water - an all-time favorite in this forum, be it SE or ME. :)
    The prayers of the community rise to the upper spheres of KEEN SoftwareChurch all the time, but alas - no water in view, not even a creek flowing in our direction.
    Never say never, though.
    Same goes for your questions about weather. The sound of wind you listen to is entirely 'audio-cosmetic' and does not mean there is a force (yet) you may use with your windmill. There are mods which help you with bringing in voxels which look like water, for the 'visual-cosmetics'.
    --
    The other questions I leave to my fellow believers.
    --- Automerge ---
    Ehm...
    when it comes to blueprints, you make a copy of the thing you are pointing to, and it gets copied with what it has at that very moment. If you want to make a copy of your mill rotor with blades but without the building, you have first to delete everything else until that is left which you find worthy of copying. Question is how you connect this copied part later by spawning it with a new building so it will work.
    --
    By the way, the plants are growing magically without any water poured on them. At this time of development, that is.

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

There is not now, nor is it likely there will there ever be, a dedicated server for *nix. (and even if there were, a raspberry pi would definately not cut it :)

It is possible and relatively simple to open a local multiplayer game to the internet, connections are handled via Steam, you don't need any router configuration. Depending on the age of your son, you may wish to make it 'Friends only' so that only your steam friends can join, to avoid problems with griefers and potty mouths... `

4. REDSHEILD Junior Engineer

At the moment all crafting stations do not require mechanical power. That may change with the mechanics update, but as it is now they are just crafting menus, more or less. Just put the required materials into the mill's inventory (at the moment, only wheat unless you have any mods) and you can craft flour in the mill's inventory screen.

5. Losen1983 Trainee Engineer

Ahh Ok. If steam is handling the requests than it should be easy to setup the internet game. It's not a big problem with the *nix version, this was only a quick idea, because that box runs all the time (24/7), to serve me and my family with calendar, tasks, contacts and files via DAV and ActiveSync (for a good mail server, the box is to poor on ram). it was also ok for a additional minecraft server, so i came to this idea :)
    --- Automerge ---
    Ahh OK, than i copy the whole windmill...
    --- Automerge ---
    What is the "mechanic update"?

6. Cetric Junior Engineer

He is referring to the next major update, which is going to be HUUUUUUGE, as the little birds are telling us.
    Can happen any week. I am already holding my breath for a couple of weeks or so.

7. ibisgrunk Apprentice Engineer

before going through the bother of making your server MP, i would play some already existing servers to feel out the experience. IMHO create an internal server you build on, create on, and generally be amicable. then go online to experience the fears (which to me is the fun driver) of whether your builds can take assault. so do the stuff you care about on your inhouse server, then go out and see what a catapult or war cart can do to your defense online... feel out the complexities of House politics and even to some degree how to deal with the griefers (this took me about 100 hours, to greifer proof builds).

ME is two games - the building passive side, then to me the real game is then testing (and that can be fun, surprising, horribly troll based, etc.) those builds with the physics of siege engines and other players (like when i learned a wall too close to trees can be ruined from the felling of the trees or the trees rest along the walls and they just walked up the log over my walls! stuff like that you cant learn solo). what good is a castle if doesnt defend against something? experience that Opposing Forces at your pace! the PvP sword play is irritating but i have played with father son combinations where the son loved charging out of the castle under siege to help dad - we dont play dick so if anyone says "stop i surrender" its over, but generally a younger kid does prefer the action element. the minecraft construction and crafting is only going to keep them so long. what we did was say take one week to build up your castle then next weekend we will battle. we do this usually not with someone's prime builds, nobody needs your mechanical farming destroyed - but rather really a gentlemen's agreement makes it a blast. you build a scrap castle, i build a scrap castle, then next saturday we go at it - and put a chest of iron or some reward in each castle for the victor (i used like 10 skulls as the plunder reward).

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Cetric Junior Engineer

Let me ask you an intimate question, as nobody is listening anyway, now as the guest frequency cooled down due to no more update news threads:
    you do not happen to be, by chance, the guy in the youtube commentaries who used to ask for *SKULL STOCKPILES* in one of the first entries at each update video? :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.