Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Some facts and maybe discussion about damage

Discussion in 'General' started by kleineMax, Nov 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kleineMax Trainee Engineer

Hi,

yesterday i did some test about the critical speed for "touching" a ship or station with another ships landing gear.

Small ship to large ship (landing gear from small ship to Light Armor Block of large ship)

< 2,4 m/s -> no damage
    = 2,4 m/s -> no damage / damage to large ship / damage to both not allways the same results
    > 2,4 m/s -> damage to both

Larg ship to station

> 0 m/s -> damage to station
    > 4 m/s -> damage to both

Small Ship to station (landing gear from small ship to Light Armor Block of large ship)

< 2,3 m/s -> no damage
    >= 2,3 m/s = 2,4 m/s -> no damage / damage to station or ship / damage to both not allways the same results
    > 2,4 m/s -> damage to both

Testsubject were the default small ship and a smaller version of the blue large ship

Oh and one funny thing, this happens when only the landing gear breaks of:
    [​IMG]
    The surrounding blocks get pulled to the old center of the landing gear....should be the other way arround .... a little bit buggy :D

2. Clint Trainee Engineer

The blocks probably get pulled to the center of where the landing gear was due to the game expecting the landing gear to have been "scraped off" thus it'll have tension damage and not compression damage as you're applying when you crash into it.
    Still a bug though :D
    I've not done a massive amount of quantitive testing with speeds and such, but I've done a little qualatitive testing using flat surfaces and pointed surfaces.
    Pointed surfaces penetrate deeper at the same impact velocity than flat surfaces, meaning that the game takes pressure into account and not just the overall impact force.

3. kleineMax Trainee Engineer

Yeah noticed that to, which ist great.

But what i dont like is that i can not get in contact using a large ship with a station. I mean... 0,36 km/h (0,1 m/s) i dont know if i can even move this slow :D but still i get a dent in my station. Would like it if they change that.

4. Merced Trainee Engineer

Actually "Large ship to station" collisions at low speed don't necessarily cause damage to the station.

I've expanded the starting platform into a little asteroid base featuring docking ports on one of it's sides and I have several ships that I frequently dock at these slots.
    The ships are rather minimalistic and thus low in mass (I tried to create a sort of puddle jumper/shuttle here) so their impact probably isn't as much as that of a larger ship, but it still renders the assumption that large ships touching stations cause damage to the station false ;-)

Take a look:

http://cars-inc-game.com/images/other/se_stationdocked.png

(Linked it as I don't want everyone to have to download it, as the screen is rather large)

5. kleineMax Trainee Engineer

Ok the mass of my large ship that i used for testing is 1,127 million kg (, is the dezimal seperator, cause im from germany ^^) thats not that much for a large ship.. still i assume yours have about 1/3 of that mass.

But still, why landing gears if it still destroys everything at the lowest speed? Hope they make them a bit more like a supsension :D

PS: The force applied by the small ship was 63480 N (2,4 m/s with 26450 kg) and for the large ship 112 kN (0,1 m/s with 1127000 kg), so its not that much more if you think about the difference of mass. (Not included was the area the force was applied to, larger at the large ship -> lower force per m²)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.