Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Some ideas for the game that can be added in a future

Discussion in 'General' started by Crawller, Jul 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Crawller Trainee Engineer

I leave here some ideas that I consider interesting and that can make the game more great. Anyway, the more content, the better. Of course, you can disable some of this in the menu, like the sun rotation or the voxel destruction. I know also there is a lot of mods, but just add to vanilla. Don't think of the performance. A lot of things I say here would have a big impact on the fps, of course, but just don't think about it.

Here we go:

-Possibility of change the actual game soundtrack in the gameplay, like an mp3. For example, tracks list can generate randomly, but you can choose preview or next song.

-Dynamic panels and monitors. Currently, door and cockpit panels are simple images, and screens of flight seats, programmable block monitor, etc are simple blue glow. In a future it would be nice if all these monitors and screens contain dynamic info to see and interact, you know what I say. And when there is no power, all turn off.

-Temperature. Well. In my opinion this is one of the most important features that the game need with the weather. Temperature can add more blocks and gameplay, because you'll need to do something to dont freeze on the space or burn in a hot planet. Of course, you can enable/disable this. I know there is people that dont like features like that, and I respect it.

[​IMG]

-Weather. Another interesting feature in my opinion. Just imagine: sandstorms, snow, fog, rain, thunders, etc.. (yes, you can enable/disable)

-Other objects apart from rocky planets, like black holes and gas giant. I know there is in the workshop, but its better that devs add this to the default game because modders cannot modify the source code etc etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Bigger universe. What I want to say with this? More speed, more big planets.. In summary a realistic scale. I've talking so much about the size of the planets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Wildlife. Hell yeah, other important feature the game need. Planets are very very very empty. You can be driving your rover in the middle of the night without the fear of that any big creature can attack you in any moment. C'mon. Imagine a lot of species to discover, small creatures like a cat or big ones like a elephant; also water and air monsters, etc. There is a lot of concepts on internet about planets wildlife ;)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

-Smooth blocks for make ships more beautiful. Not everybody is a pro making spaceships. I'm a real noob for example. This blocks may help people that dont know so much how to build a nice-look ship and want to do that.

-More cockpit models for fighters and other small ships. Maybe also more station control models, like the Kolt Command Console Pack but with interface movement and some sounds. Just to add more dynamism to the ship/station environment.

-Volumetric clouds for planets. Now, the clouds and the sky are 2d textures.

-Very dark shadows. Yes, there is a mod, but just add this to vanilla with the possibility of change the tone of the shadows.

-Food and water. This is a topic of SE community. Some people want this feature (also me) to add more gameplay to the game. I think is a good idea because you can have also your own farming apart from the meat. Other group of people dont want this to add to the game because there is Medieval engineers, but in ME you cannot build ships and explore the space, soooo it can be a feature that you can enable/disable on the menu. For confort of this people the feature can be disabled by default, its not annoying for me push a button :)

-Ladders. No more to say.

-More astronaut faces. This is only for aesthetic purpose. I dont know you, but I dont like to have the same bearded face that the rest of the players. Also the posibility of choose the gender of your character can be nice, maybe some female players would like it. The posibility of change your suit can be a good idea. For example, the actual suit for space travels and a light clothes when you're in a station, and a armored suit for battle. In the menu a option that let you cange you character gender and customize her/his face. JUST FOR AESTHETIS PURPOSES.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Human npcs. It can be a nice feature if you're a lonely player. You can recruit some npc for your crew and put them to make tasks in your ship or station, even take a few with weapons to explore a planet, and if there is a creature, they can defend you :D Of course you can customize your crew in the medical post. Also hostile HUMAN npcs that can flight ships or take weapons. They can be from other factions like space piraters, mercs, goverment, etc.

-And now, one of the most bigger things: A real universe (something like no man sky), or at least a galaxy. A galaxy with a supermassive black hole in the middle and a lot of solar systems, each one with real physic stars and its orbiting planet. This can be setup by default in one start, but lets got think now in the empty start. What you can do here? Simple. You can be in spectator mode and start to build your solar systems, with lines that indicate the orbits.

-More decoration blocks, like a kitchen, tables, chairs, beds, cupboards, tv, etc...

-Liquid water. :woot:

-A core for the planets and the possibility of blew up them. I think its crazy but dream is free lol

That was a large post and I hope you enjoy and think about it. Thanks you for your time and read^^

There is a bunch of more ideas I don't remember right know, but please, tell me your owns. Lets make SE more great :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. BlackScythe Apprentice Engineer

+1 Love it, all of this! I don't really care about liquid water, but hey i won't be mad :D

• Like Like x 1
  3. Crawller Trainee Engineer

Thanks you!! :woot: I think if SE have all of this, it would be like 400% better than the current game :D

4. PLPM Junior Engineer

Uhhh.

No.

Just... No

Not because I don`t want it, but because of how ridiculous the scale of what you`re asking is or how superflous it is.

¿Real universe? Don`t make me laugh, realism in space is not exactly fun... or engaging... It`s incredibly stale.
    ¿Volumetric clouds? Sorry, but they don`t add much in gameplay for the effort and time put into them.
    "Smooth" blocks were tried already... they worked, but the effect wasn`t pretty or actually nice.
    I`d like more speed and bigger planets, nevertheless, this has been discussed since the games inception (As far as speed goes)
    Interactible blocks... again, it doesn`t benefit the game really, it will improve some things, but those things dont make or break the game as a better procedural generation does. ;)

Still, they`re good sugestions, and I`d like to see them if it came to that, but there are more pressing matters and better ways to implement some things.

5. Crawller Trainee Engineer

Well, its your opinion, and I respect it. I just said Im tired to see that small planets with hand maked mountains (not all). Just take a look to SE Earth
    . In my opinion is a really ugly planet.

6. PLPM Junior Engineer

Oh, it`s not an opinion, it is ugly, really ugly, it`s disproportionate and... really disproportionate.

However, just making it bigger will make an already incredibly long planet-to-space travel, be even LONGER, making it WAY more difficult and grueling.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  7. Malware Master Engineer

Indeed. In fact the current planet size is directly connected to the max speed. The system itself can make bigger planets, they still work quite well as proven by the various mods overriding the sizes, but most people (myself excluded) wouldn't like the travel time. Sad but true.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I love the level of thought you've put into this.

• Like Like x 3
  9. Crawller Trainee Engineer

10. PLPM Junior Engineer

So...

That`s more akin to a jump drive than actually going at that speed...

And as it is now, we`re already having issues if we go too far from the center of the world... at least as far as I know.

11. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

I know its something a modder could.....in time put together.

but i do enjoy the thought of different types of space suits or even different styles of blocks simply for the
    "this company made their own type of X block or suit or tool" feel.

below is a screenshot of ships from a classic racing game named wipeout 2097 ps1
    it featured different teams or companies that made different racing ships each with their own advantage/disadvantage

12. chrisb Senior Engineer

I just looked at the pics and said 'yes'.... I'll read it later.. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Macc24 Trainee Engineer

Those are cool things, everybody wants them, but unfortunately they need a lot of time and of course money. In the end we have limitations on hardware capabilities, thats the key.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Totally nailed it @Macc24 . But I think it's cool if people day-dream about features and looks. Maybe someone will take on the gigantic task of re-skinning the game as full-game mod? Maybe Keen will make it easier to do this and be downloaded as a type of mod from the workshop? Then Keen could promote it as a competition, especially for teams of students in trade schools and college programs for computer art/graphics. Getting recognized by a software company that can move over a million units before alpha? That looks good on a recent grad's resume.

15. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

The problem I have with the stock 'earthlike' is that it is exaggerated in terms of land features....and lacks variety. This is not a reflection of the tools or the game engine, but really is a result of the actual planet heightmap itself. It could be a lot better. There are too many trees spread about, the forests are not dense enough where they do exist and there is far too little flat land or at least land you can drive about on. We have no deserts, no plains, and considering the planet is virtually all land with no oceans, very limited features.

Look at some of the custom planets in the workshop, and you will see how different they can be made. If you try to use 'real' heightmaps, the scale is usually really out.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. [flux] Trainee Engineer

This thread was labeled as future. There's no doubt the writer has the total understanding that the game and you can't handle this now. And in general discussion he had ideas about what would make the game cool and interesting in his opinion.

And then the naysayers come out of the woodwork. And not about his ideas but about the possibility of adding it to the game as it stands currently.
    Future ideas

I'd like to think him for his thoughtful input. I like some of the ideas he has good work

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Bumber Senior Engineer

The game is called "Space Engineers", not "Face Engineers"! ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. PLPM Junior Engineer

Dreaming is useless if you can`t put it down where it matters.

And yes, many of the suggestions are interesting but for how long? When does the novelty wear off?
    That`s why I`m advocating for a much better procedural world instead.

• Late Late x 1
  19. Crawller Trainee Engineer

What the fuck is wrong with you?

A lot of games have this feature of costume your character, at least his face. Anyway, if you want to have the same appareance of everybody's characters, good for you. It's just other trivial thing I think it can enhance the game, you dont need to be an asshole.
    --- Automerge ---
    Hey dude!

Unluckily I only can contribute with ideas. In the past I maked mods and other small things but I'm not very good programing, anyway, I never uploaded any of these. I really would like to work on some ideas to the game, make it possible thinking of all class of players that play SE and molding my ideas to they.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Im dreaming of some better stock planets. Is that allowed?

NO!!!!! SE cant handle it now!

21. FlakMagnet Senior Engineer

SE absolutely can handle better planets. The issue is not the tech ...it's just they need a whole lot more effort and love to make the heightmaps work with the game.

Then the ore distributrion needs to be tailored so it fits logically with the terrain so you can use terrain clues to locate ore rather than silly black stains, and the job will be done.

well..Ok..I do realise how many man hours are needed to make a custom heightmap, and all the restr of it.... but it's just time and effort

22. PLPM Junior Engineer

SE can handle better planets, there`s no doubt about it and I`d advocate for them if I was asked. But there`s a line between "It will take a lot of work but it can be done with dedication" Which is better ore placement and heightmaps for plantes, and "No matter how we try to implement it, it`s going to mess with how the game was made" Which would be a real scale galaxy and rotating planets.

Planets were hard, really hard. But asteroids were already in-game and with simply scaling them up you had a working prototype of a planet.

23. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Anyone else see what happened there?

24. Bumber Senior Engineer

It was a joke, based on the "not Planet Engineers" argument. And it rhymes. Look, I even put a little winking face!

Now who looks like an asshole? Even if you didn't get the joke, it doesn't excuse your tone.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  25. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

On the smaller end...

Planet/moon placement
    I'd like a world generation tool/option that would let you select several planets and "moons" along with a desired min and max distance. Then place those items halfway randomly in a newly created world.

Random base placement on planets
    The option to have 1-5 enemy bases randomly spawned on a planet. Except for the garage portion of the HQ, all bases are on stilts. I propose there be a specific color to designate an armor block that is below the voxels and a block above. SE would use those to place bases and if it fails try another area x number of times.

More vanilla factions

• Like Like x 1
  26. [flux] Trainee Engineer

Jokes? Might as well call this "lost in space"

In case you dont get it, jokes dont work here so well. Sarcasm, well forget it.

27. Crawller Trainee Engineer

Forgive me, I didn't get it. I just thinked you was another of these guys. Sorry, I was an idiot that by a time get TRIGGERED xd. I'll give you other winking face in reward of my behaviour. ( ͡~ ͜ʖ ͡°) <== This is the Lenny wink face. Its special because it only appear one time each 1000 years!!
    --- Automerge ---
    Sounds nice too!!. And all this bases can have a random number of human npcs defending, something like when the base spawn, get a number (for example) between 20 and 45 and the result is the number of the npcs.

28. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I always try to think in terms of the difficulty in implementing when bringing up a wishlist. I'm free to dream up whatever I like. But the reality is that it's going to take a ton of man hours to do anything complicated. If the ROI isn't high, then I doubt it's even worth discussing.
    --- Automerge ---

What's funny is that randomizing placement wouldn't require much work. Planets are placed via an array of coordinates: X,Y, Z. They are simply numbers. Any of those numbers could be randomized with an expression. If planets are placed in a specific order, I don't see why a planet that's been already place can't be referenced to create a relative coordinate on the map.

The placing of bases randomly would take a bit of work. I don't think you'd have to color coordinate where the base should meet the terrain. Every block has a relative XYZ location in the grid. you'd only have specify which block should be the anchor point. The most difficult part would be how to evaluate the planetary surface under the base? How would the game pick a decent spot?

I think a better approach would be a subtractive method. Place a base in every single location you'd find ideal and then have the game delete a randomized portion of them according to the settings. That way bases are always located in decent places but they aren't always in the same places every time a new world is generated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. [flux] Trainee Engineer

nope cant do it untill they fix whats already out there.
    Have some backlash just for having a thought.
    Cant do it. It wont work. Too hard. Cant handle it. Too costly. Nope.

Look, they are too busy to make a vid for this week's update. Its all your fault too.

30. PLPM Junior Engineer

There`s a diference between "thought" and "crititcal thought"
    One makes unicorns.
    The other one makes Internal combustion engines.

One must dream while still knowing the limitations set in place, that`s if one wants to see such dreams come true. dreams don`t make themselves appear just because they`re dreams.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.