Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Some suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Pumba, Oct 31, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Pumba Trainee Engineer

Greeting developers.

First of all i have to say that you creating beauteful game. But there are some moments wich can do it better. Of course its just my opinion.
    One of problems that game need a lot of memory when running. And its simple to understand.

For planets mods - 200-300 MBytes because minimal resolution of voxel texture is 2048*2048 if i remember correct. Why not to allow modders choose quality from 512 to 2048?

To be honest i dont understand what for mipmaps needed for UI icons. Mipmaps are understandable for voxel textures, model textures, when player comes closer to textured objects. But what for mipmaps for UI icons? For example light armor cube icon with mipmaps 22020 bytes. Without bitmaps - 16532.
    16532 / 22020 = 0.750772025431
    So we can save about 25% of memory using textures for UI icons without mipmaps. And we can save much more allowing resolution for voxels from 512 to 2048.
    Why it needed? Game will be more poplurar because more people will able to run it on their computers. Not everyone have videocards and computers with 16-32 GB.

A little suggestion about armor blocks.
    [​IMG]

So what can i say guys. You making really good game. It teaching children to math, to be creative. But as i said be more careful with texture sizes. Otherwise game will not be popular because not everyone can run it.

There is also some things to think about. Building in plane mode. I have not found how to say SE in what plane i want to add cubes. X,Y or Z
    And unforunately game stops to respond when i press right Ctrl key.

With best regards, Pumba
    --- Automerge ---
    About LCDs

There is 3 problems now.

1. Detector on LCD
    Its a good idea to add control panel to LCD.
    BUT It should be done so, that austronaut can see information on LCD without blinking.

Sugesstion:

[​IMG]

Problem 2:
    Text on LCDs is emissive, textures not. Its a very simple pixel shader - RGB to output. If we use alpha channel of course need be sorted. I am agree that LCDs is emissives, but lets discuss on what way. They are not projectors. Austronaut should not close his (her) eyes to read or see what on LCD. In real life we rarely look at sun because sun is very bright. LCDs should use shader RGB to output. Both ways, text and textures.

[​IMG]

For people who like space history. On left austronaut from USSR Alexey Leonov. First man who stepped out of ship into open space. On right team of Appolo 13. They had problems with gimble lock on hyroscope, but landed.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
  2. Malware Master Engineer

1. Planet textures with lower resolution becomes lower resolution voxels. It will look horrible. Compare with those who have made super-sized planets, same problem.

2. They don't. But even if they have mipmaps the textures are compressed in a format the gpu understand (BC3 unless I'm mistaken) so in comparison with the rest of the game this memory use is miniscule to say the least.

3. Your image doesn't show. Oh, there it is. Yeah, more shapes would be nice.

4. Ah, the "beloved" lcd highlight... :p

5. You're describing a bug with the lcds. They are supposed to be emissive so if they're not, report it. As for the glowing that's due to Keen's way overexposed bloom effect. It's not directly related to LCDs.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2017
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.