Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Somebody created decent opening and closing doors to vanilla door blocks yet?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cetric, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Cetric Junior Engineer

I have seen a number of constructions on base of wood beams but that is far too clumsy. Since the introduced double wing gate is supposed to be moddable, let me ask if anybody created in the meantime single doors for the stone door block containing a door opening (rounded top) and for the rectangular type in the studwork house door element. Which could be opened and closed just like the gate can.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2016
  2. Frostik Apprentice Engineer

Right now its quite hard to add a door block that can be placed in an opening. The gate is a single block that can be placed. It is not devided into door elements. What we could do, is mod the gate into a complete door+block which would function like the SE door block.

3. Cetric Junior Engineer

That is actually what I was hoping for and since it was said the ME gate was fully moddable, I thought someone would have ventured into this, meantime. Looking through the workshop, I saw only constructions done with wood beams.

4. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Soon

• Like Like x 1
  5. Cetric Junior Engineer

Nice. Maybe less dominant textures for 'wood' and a door handle would be advisable. Do you implement a locking function?

6. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

It's not the finished model. That's was just for testing door system. Locking function is not avaible yet. It'll be when the next update will be released.
    --- Automerge ---
    Here is the finished model (i think)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Cetric Junior Engineer

Yeah, exactly! The iron fittings add much life to the design. Looking forward to this one!

I would suggest the paumelle / hinge band would be of much larger size, though. In my opinion it looks too filigree at the moment. It should give a sturdy impression as if it could resist attempts to break in for some time.
    --- Automerge ---
    Here are some examples I found what look pretty authentic.

https://shannonclarkefinalyearproject.wordpress.com/2015/03/10/princess-castle-door-inspiration/
    Not all in this collection, scroll down for the better ones.

[​IMG]
    From Caenarfon Castle in Wales

[​IMG]
    Cathedral of Hildesheim - the 'Holy Portal' in the middle is rubbish (certainly not antique enough), I would like to hint at the smaller doors on the sides.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
  8. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Yep you're right, the hinge looks a bit fragile.

9. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

10. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Yes i see it when i was finish mine ^^ funny no?

11. Cetric Junior Engineer

Don't discourage Manchou, guys, it is indeed quite a coincidence to have to wait for a long time and then two door mods get ready for the community at approximately the same time. But it is nice to have alternatives in design. Let's have them compete with each other and see how Manchou's door will look in comparison with Stori3D Past Productions' work. With different fittings on it there is some room for giving contrast. And which one will have the locking ability first? :tu:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

I want to take a moment to apologize for seeming to beat another player to the punch. I never knew this thread even existed, and I do feel badly if it seems that I stomped on someone else's idea. From the date-stamps, I think mine was in the Workshop before Manchou's first test-version clip was posted here, but still... I was just extremely excited this week to have "cracked" how Keen made the gates work, and I was thrilled to get my mod into the game because the game's needed doors for so long.

Manchou, your door looks absolutely gorgeous. Mine is a humble & fairly ugly peasant's door, yours is fit for a Lord of the Manor. I can't wait to see yours in-game.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Cetric Junior Engineer

Appreciate your approach, Stori3D, we all work for the same goal (well, me not so much, I am no modder - just commenting). And at the end we all profit by variations and additions. I don't think your coming in was perceived as intrusion, I just don't want to see Manchou getting disappointed now that he knows there is a fresh door available and assumes his work would be superfluous.
    Thanks to both of you.

14. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Don't worry guys, it's not a contest between secveral modders :) With Stori3D, we didn't work on the same subject ! Stori prepare a mod pack on the antic roman purpose. As for me, i work on another subject. So there is no conflict with those doors. Rather, it's cool to see different design form other modder. And if we can learn eachother it's better!

In fact it's not hard system. it's like in SE and if i didn't say rubbish, it's Sage who are suggest and implemented this feature.
    For doors, windows or anything else, you have a base part, and this base part call a subpart (the doors). To attach them together, you need a hinge connector with an animation sequence. All of this thing are clearly define in the .sbc file. Then to interact with the door, you need a dummy with a particular name for the door system like: detector_gate_01. this dummy create a box ingame where it's highlight when the cursor is on it. I don't find how to have the hightlight border.

The game need so much thning, but not only new block, a better construction system. On this purpose, there is so much thing to improve. I don't if developpers are expect somethings about that to improve capacity to build casttle more specific and less generic.
    In short, we have both made a door mod, but that cause any problem.

Thanks for your compliment Stori3D. Yours look good too!

About the look in-game, here is some pictures.

15. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Thats one fancy muthahfuckah

16. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

muthahfuckah ?? ???

17. Silen Apprentice Engineer

"One fancy motherfucker." In other words, he means that your door looks good. ^^

18. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

That :woot:

19. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Oh ok! Sorry, i wasn't understand ! So uh ... Thanks ! ;)

20. Cetric Junior Engineer

'muthahfuckah' and related new-age slang expressions are considered non-medieval and thus heretic speech by the Keen Inquisitor of your choice. Also such persons wil be denied the non-existing key to the new wonderful doors! ;)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Silen Apprentice Engineer

Behold thee and bow your head, for we are now in presence of the Holy Inquisition!

22. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

well... i used to be part of the physics inquisition.... but i decided to part ways with them... for pursonal reasons

23. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

You can alway start you own inquisition ( when you prepare enought torches and forks ) :tu:

24. Cetric Junior Engineer

Speaking about inquisition, we will promote Stori3D Past Productions and Manchou to "Honorary Cardinals of the Holy Keen Portal Key" for extraordinary service in modding for the Holy Keen Engineer Church door section.

• Funny Funny x 2
  25. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
  26. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

I've never been a Cardinal before. Though I think red robes will suit me. :) Great-looking mod & a real addition to the game. It's exciting to see energy going into Medieval Engineers. It deserves it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Cetric Junior Engineer

By the way, Stori3D, I have also a suggestion for you. You published a great mod about adding prison-style bars to window/door openings previously. Do you think it would be possible to combine the bars with the working door, so there would be a kind of prison cell door made of iron in the game? Would suit so well to my jail and furthermore for crypts and catacombs, which I have a lot of to supply in style. :p

I guess everyone knows what I mean but I will add examples anyway:

[​IMG]
    That's it in the plainest form.

[​IMG]
    This one is looking great in its 'antique' looking (maybe also for your Roman worlds), but I am missing a visible lock here.

[​IMG]
    This one is great, too, but it is more like a hybrid of a wooden door with inserted bars as a window.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

You're the second person to mention an iron-bar gate for a prison! I really like the idea. It would be tricky and sadly probably a bit unsatisfying though. Since the door mechanism only recognizes one "object" as the door, the iron bars will have to be built together all as one door unit in Blender first. And because the whole thing will then be one block, there will be no way to make any openings or pass-throughs between the bars. It will all be one big invisible wall. And in order not to look silly it would have to be built with really tight-fitting hinges and frames. Doable (as Manchou has shown -- his hinge system is ace!), but a lot of fiddling.

• Informative Informative x 1
  29. SaturaxCZ Senior Engineer

Is it possible creat working second window/door on already moving doors/gates ? ???

30. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Good Question. Doors are made with the base (static) and subpart (dynamic). In theory, it could be have more than two subpart, like three, four, etc ... subpart is a link to mwm subpart file. And not a link to a definition in sbc file. But, it'll be interesting to test if we could link a definition rather an mwm file. If we could, it's mean we can attach several parts together. And build on the subpart to improve door design. but i doubt it's possible.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.