Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Somebody created decent opening and closing doors to vanilla door blocks yet?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Cetric, Aug 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Check it out. Doors are lockable!!

All you have to do is drop any dynamic object (a block of wood, an iron bar, a plate, whatever) on the inside of your closed door. When you do, the game won't let you open that door. If you do that while you're inside, then nobody on the outside can get into your house unless they bash the wall down! Lockable doors!
    --- Automerge ---
    You know, it might actually be possible to create real working prison doors by stacking a whole bunch of those iron bars as subparts. And since each iron bar would have its own collision detection, the whole door would still allow you to pass things between the bars. That would be awesome.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Oh dynamic block ... i had place some small block on the grid without result! Great Job !! :D

Hum, i think it's possible yes. You have to separate your differents iron bar in several mwm. But each iron must be place relatively than the hinge position. If you don't do that, all of your subpart will be place at the same position in-game.

3. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Thanks much! I have to credit wolfgar7474, his bug report gave me the first idea about the locking "system." And yes, I was thinking exactly that about the iron-bar door. I think technically it is possible. But a 9x4 door would mean 36 layered iron bars. I do wonder if the processor would melt down! :D

4. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Hum ... sure it's a big number of subparts. ;)
    --- Automerge ---
    A test for a metal door.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Cetric Junior Engineer

Hey, wonderful! Aren't you satisfied with being Honorary Cardinals? Does Keen have to promote you to Pope and Counter-Pope? :D Your creativity is running amok lately - and I damn like it!
    Who would have imagined throwing things against the door actually locks them from within? Funny! And clever conclusion made!

[​IMG]

Keen Pope of your choice must be proud of you! Hooray! Ehm... I mean... Benedic nos Domine et haec tua dona quae de tua largitate sumus sumpturiper Keenum Softwarum Housum nostrum. Amen."
    --- Automerge ---
    Marvellous looking prison/catacombs door, both for antiquity and medieval times.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Ahah so funny ! :)

Thanks. Door is not finish yet. Missing some details. And yes, this door could be use in both style.

7. Stori3D Past Productions Apprentice Engineer

Manchou that iron door is already looking amazing! How many subparts are you up to, to get it that far?
    --- Automerge ---
    Nobody was more surprised than I! If only there was a way to stumble into a sound mechanic for them opening and closing. I tried adding every single sound line I could find from any other object or item in the game. But nothing makes the doors or window shutters do a thing. I think if we can figure out how to get a door squeaking or a lock latching sound, then maybe we can talk about new levels of spirituality. ;)

8. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Thanks Stori. I think about 5/10 subpart to have a correct collision stuff.

So i think about it last night ... I think we could do a mod with a script for trully lockable door. I've to test that !

9. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

Maybe it could work when taking some of the code of the ropedrumwithlock thingy

10. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

maybe.

11. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

Hi All.
    I update my Door Mod.

I had two metallic doors for basics stone wall (not for other curves wall for now). Also, the largest metallic door is a bit special. @Stori3D Past Productions Spoke about shoot bullet througt iron bar, so i did it, and you can now shoot yours prisoneers through a door, it's juste an exemple !
    Also, i put in place a sketchfab visualization for wooden doors. So you can turn around and see the hi-poly model.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Cetric Junior Engineer

Hm, being able to shoot through the gaps of a metal bar grid could be favorable in some defense situations. To do this on prisoners sounds a bit... weird. I thought I would be happy just with looking through the bars, but handing things through them gives more of an deluxe feeling, true. Wanted to point at a mod in the Space Engineers section, there is a metal grid block within 'DC Metallbau' mod but less advanced, as you can't reach things or shoot through. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=733410371&searchtext=DC+Metallbau

13. Manchou Apprentice Engineer

True, be able to shoot through door, window or other things is very useful. I don't know if porticullic is on this way.
    And it's not difficult to do, you have just to make a correct collision file.

14. captainbinary Trainee Engineer

Loving the work going on the doors! Looking great!

Keep up the great work both of you!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Cetric Junior Engineer

Manchou's doors I showed in my use in his own thread, here I will document my first use of Stori 3D's iron grilles. Picture shows the entrance to the living quarters of my new monastery, where there are 3 levels of monk cells. Secular visitors are not allowed to enter the quarters so they meet their relatives who went into seclusion here at the entrance where they talk through the bars at certain visiting hours.
    Building is still in construction.
    [​IMG]
    The small parts which can be set together to form individual forms of metal grid are marvellous. Actually you can form many different versions of grilles. I have just begun to discover the variations. From Stori3D I also used the double-wing door for an entrance to subterranean storage caves. Not visible here.

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.