Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Soooo.... what will this game actually be like after Alpha?

Discussion in 'General' started by TacKLed, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TacKLed Trainee Engineer

I kind of want to buy the game, but it seems like they haven't left us a roadmap of what the game will be about after the Alpha intentionally. I have known about KSH since before Miner Wars was out, and their track record with Miner Wars isn't all that great. I like that the game seems to be in the fashion of sandbox "do what you want", but there are plenty of questions still out.

Does anyone know what lies in store for us? Will the game feature big battles (probably not because of the physics simulation)? Just random questions like this. Does anyone have anything?

2. Gentry Senior Engineer

Its a sandbox.

Its not something you can advertise big battles~ as a roadmap.

Minecraft doesn't offer big battles as a development plan but its technically possible because of the sandbox nature.

But I very much doubt a game like this will be able to sufficiently support a big battle of lots and lots of players in lots of ships duking it out.

3. chessmaster42 Apprentice Engineer

4. FancyD Trainee Engineer

Like Gentry said, a sandbox.

We can probably assume at least 4 players will probably be able to play in the future, judging by the screenshots featuring multi-colored players in the same setting. From this, and the ability to use weapons and fashion stations, we will see some sort of 4-player co-op, where the player can elect to duke their ships out.

From future mechanics already being put into place (Drill, Ore Finder) we can assume this will be a resource based game, making the challenge last longer.

However, what you may be looking for is a story of sorts, or something with story elements. Of that, I am unsure. However, I would love them to go along the lines of Terraria, with no story-telling per se, but bosses and new ore/leveling system as you beat them. That being said, having bosses in space probably will require some sort of story line, which this, as a sandbox game, may not be intended to offer.

Although just in Alpha, this game is showing that it has all it's major groundwork done; it's just a matter of adding more features. I highly recommend this game as a buy. At $15, it's a real thrill.

Edit: a word

5. TacKLed Trainee Engineer

I know that. I was just putting out a question like that because it was the first one to come to mind. And I backed Minecraft before Notch even got his first million dollars, and the people who backed him then got burned on the promises of the game. Not that Space Engineers is the same category.

I'm just wondering how grandiose their plans are for the game. They mention both Space Engineers and Military Engineers, so I am wondering why would they put in Military Engineers with the description it has without there being a war to support.

Oh, and to clarify: I don't want there to be a story. The more dynamic the better!

6. duetschbag Trainee Engineer

I think it would be able to support it big battles just fine (eventually). There are some pretty massive Minecraft and other games servers out there. Being that it's a sandbox game, I don't see why it wouldn't be a possibility especially after engine optimizations are in place and community mods become available.

7. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

With any luck the dev's will have an engine and core that allow the community to make anything space related that they see fit.
    So I'm sure there will be pure-creative servers and some with harsh no-rules PVP out there.

8. Evis Apprentice Engineer

Four players in a 50 x 50 x 50km box? That's it?

That doesn't seem right, at all.

9. duetschbag Trainee Engineer

Technically it's at least 1 player. :p I doubt there will be a max other than what the server side can handle for connections.

EDIT: If there is a max, I'm sure it will be a decent number, otherwise a mod will bypass it.

10. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I have a server with 24GB RAM, a meaty i7-e, and a 100 meg pipe. I'll probably keep a server hosted there and maybe rent out EC2 space from amazon if people are interested in high player cap, month long brawls. Hopefully the servers are flexible in the future on map size and player cap.

11. duetschbag Trainee Engineer

:( I want your server and connection... or is that hosted?

I only have a server with a Core 2 Quad and 8GB of RAM. 30 down 2 up connection.

12. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

I have the connection coming to my house. Business Class fiber internet :) I'm only using it to host a Minecraft world and a few ventrilo channels. Using EC2 would be pretty awesome. You can request a spot instance with like 32 cores and 200GB of RAM if you need to :) The pricing can get a bit steep when you rent a large virtual environment, but its not bad to rent like 8 cores and 32GB.

13. duetschbag Trainee Engineer

Any cost is steep when you have to justify i to your non-gamer wife. Maybe someday I'll get to have fun toys.

Right now I'm hosting a MC server with a few different worlds and a TS3 server. All seem to do really well on it, but I would like to add some more game servers eventually.

14. eelikay Trainee Engineer

Holy shoot you guys! the devs just sent me a top secret full release image! :D Don't tell anyone...

[​IMG]

15. Scorpion00021 Senior Engineer

nice texture edit ;) BEGONE TROLL!

16. duetschbag Trainee Engineer

Consider this topic officially hijacked! lol

17. eelikay Trainee Engineer

lel not a texture edit :woot:

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.