Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Space Engineers at Ridiculous Resolution(15260x8640)

Discussion in 'General' started by 666Savior, Jan 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

So recently I got a GTX 1070 FTW graphics card and have been putting it through its paces maxing every game i have. Recently, i starting trying it on SE. I'm running 4k DSR and maintaining at least 60fps in space and around 30fps on planets. While playing around with the game's screenshot function, i decided to have fun. I set the resolution for screenshots to be 4 times as much as in game resolution.

What i ended up with was a 15360x8640 monstrosity of a screenshot that is 85 mb. You can zoom all the way in and examine the individual scratches on the wheel rim in the picture.
    It actually surprised me at the quality of the picture and render. I'm now working on making high quality high resolution shots for use as backgrounds or posters. Here is the first.

I would also like to mention that i have a failure rate of about 70%, in which the game crashes.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  2. ViroMan Senior Engineer

I didn't know it is possible to take screen shots at resolutions higher then your screen.

3. FatalPapercut Senior Engineer

While a very cinematic shot, I cannot help but imagine the engineer staring headlong into the sun going "Durrrrrrrrrr..."

Something about his stance, I think.

4. ViroMan Senior Engineer

Seems to me for such a shot, a thumbs up with visor open, would have been appropriate.

5. 666Savior Apprentice Engineer

Pretty much what im doing is telling the game engine to render what is on my screen in a higher resolution and then output it as a picture.

This was just a test shot to see if my computer could actually get a decent screenshot without crashing. Timing is hard because the game freezes when i press the screenshot key as it starts to try and render the image. I dont know if using the animations will result in a ghosted image of multiple engineer positions or a perfect shot. I still have a lot of testing to do before i do any major cinematic screenshots.

I think I found out what is causing my crashes when trying to take these screenshots. While running an osd, i noticed that my GC ram was being maxed and my GPU, which is supposed to only oc to around 1800 mhz is ocing to nearly 2000mhz. I assuming its hitting the max memory available which then causes it to crash.

That being said, no idea how i got the screenshot i did. Have yet to be able to get one that is pristine and not borked. Ah well, off to arma to have fun with editor and screenshots. Will try more with SE tomorrow.

6. Taemien Apprentice Engineer

16k...

Well that's a new definition for PCMR

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.