Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Speed Limit for Thrusters

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by druppi, Nov 1, 2015.

?

Optional Speed Limit slider for Thrusters?

Poll closed Jan 30, 2016.
  1. Yes

72.2%
  2. No

11.1%
  3. Make a new Upgrade-Block to control the output on the Thrusters.

11.1%
  4. Make new additional slower RCS-Thrusters witch can not go faster than maybe 20/ms

5.6%
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. druppi Apprentice Engineer

Hi

It would be nice to have an option for the Thrusters Max. Speed too, like the one on the Rover-Wheels

or (also) maybe set a speed limit for the Remote-control / Autopilot

It would be much smother to walk around on your ships while the autopilot is flying towards your destination with just 20-30 m/s and i could be use full in other situations too like on Minigships etc.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
    • Agree Agree x 3
  2. Mr Ixolate Apprentice Engineer

At first I misread this as actually changing the speed limit, but on autopilot this could be a cool feature.

3. Gentry Senior Engineer

its called pressing Z

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. druppi Apprentice Engineer

i primary mentioned this for autopilot or very over powered ships in situations where you want have precision manoeuvring

5. druppi Apprentice Engineer

no its just to adjust the max speed in the thrusters control tab (or the ships info tab) between 1 -104/ms (vanilla)

6. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

Just to say. Your poll will be removed.

7. Malware Master Engineer

I agree with your suggestion, but yes/no polls are disallowed in this forum so if a moderator finds it, it will be removed.

8. druppi Apprentice Engineer

mhh ok!!!??? ..strange especially in this forum it should be compulsory and not disallowed.

9. Malware Master Engineer

They require polls to have a little more "meat" in it.
    http://forums.keenswh.com/forums/forum-rules.313728/

10. Azzanine Apprentice Engineer

But what if the question posed by the poll is primarily yay/nay? Is that question just plain old not up for discussion?

11. SenorZorros Master Engineer

in that case you ad ye olde maybe

12. Scornstar 2 Trainee Engineer

Yes we should be able to adjust a max speed where the forward and breaking throttles will hold us to a speed. For example If I want auto pilot to move at 5m/s to it's next destination. As for the polls. How do you create a topic with enough meat to be accepted while only allowing a yes or no vote? The poll rules are stupid. One might be able to BS such a situation by prefacing the question with several paragraphs of text only to ask a simple question that could have been asked in the first place with no more sophistication than just asking the damned question to begin with.

13. druppi Apprentice Engineer

ok but I see the poll more as tool for the deves to decide if they should go for it or not. Anyway I upgraded it a bit :D

14. Fenris Apprentice Engineer

Sounds like a great idea. I know in the past when I've been mining through an asteroid and hit a tunnel or large opening and my ship speeds up to a point were drills can break on impact I've wished for such a thing. Of course that's just me being lazy since I can always just watch the speed indicator and slow down :D It'd be a nice feature for times when I'm being lazy or watching TV while mining, but only if it was a quick bit of code Keen could write and not something they'd have to spend a lot of time or resources to do. Although with mining I'm wondering if there is a way to use sensors and programmable blocks to get the same effect. And as Gentry said (I think this is what he meant), if your just going from point A to B then just get up to speed and shut off your dampeners.

15. Mash Trainee Engineer

The program block is not that easy to use for many people, a slider for that would be nice and not that hard to implement I guess.

16. SenorZorros Master Engineer

once there would be some kind of visual programming I agree but for now programming cannot be the solution.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Killacyte Senior Engineer

+1 to OP.
    The PB is "for" everything that cannot be covered by already existing blocks and mechanics, and is complicated for anyone without coding experience. An auto-pilot speed limiter is probably not hard to do.

Also, trying to use "the game is called Space ENGINEERS, so go ENGINEER" as an argument is obnoxious. It means something different for everyone that uses it and reads it, so all it really translates to is "I'm right, you're wrong, na-na-na."

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. SenorZorros Master Engineer

it's space engineers, not space programmers ;)

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. ben2150 Trainee Engineer

If we didn't already have such a feature for wheels, then I would be inclined to agree. But, we do have such a feature for another form of propulsion, so I don't see why we couldn't have one slider in the cockpit that limits the speed for different thrusters. Or even fine tuning thrusters, similar to how you can fine tune wheels.

I don't see a need for requiring people to program a speed limit, when the devs can easily make it a part of the interface.

On a side note, I actually would like speed control to be run through the cockpit or remote control unit. Basically, have sliders for general speed, wheels, ion thrusters, hydrogen, and atmospheric. Having individual speed limits for each wheel and thruster seems a bit much. Though, I could see a use for such a feature.

I would also welcome a thruster block that consolidates the maneuvering thrusters into a single block with limited thrust. Ok, I really, really want such a block. It don't just passively want such a block, it would open up a whole new world of designs. :)

20. SenorZorros Master Engineer

for the record, my comment was a jab at the "it is space engineers, not space x" which, at least some time ago, was quite prevalent. I was not very serious about ti.

also, I disagree on your remark that this is unneeded as any feature provided by the programming block is limited by one's ability to program which is not the core of this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. druppi Apprentice Engineer

Yeah its just a little work for the Dev's
    and the sensor stuff is so much buged / unoptimized that u can not use it in Multiplayer ( I.m only interested in MP not SP so all my suggestions are intended for MP ;) )

22. druppi Apprentice Engineer

I want to set up a GPS curs with autopilot and leave the cockpit and do stuff on my ship while the AP is avoiding collisions with asteroids and other stuff and also if you move at max speed its hard to move on your ship (in Multiplayer) I Know it should / will be possible (hopefully) one day to walk on moving ships but realistic it will still take Months / 1 Year for the Dev;s to fix all the MP problems. This little improvement is really simple to make one Dev alone can probable implement it in 1-2 hours

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  23. druppi Apprentice Engineer

because programmes, timers and all the stuff are "lag Blocks" and also to Set up a computer-system for a simple thing is ridiculous.
    In car you just push the gas paddle as much you want right? :D

24. Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

There actually is an RCS thruster mod that are just weak thrusters with a nice RCS model. Designed for docking etc.

25. druppi Apprentice Engineer

yeah but this will not work for AP they always accelerate to max speed

26. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

Speed limits can be hard coded in scripted autopilots. I also have some governor code for my mining ships next update, its still a bit raw
    but Ill publish it when its finished

27. ChaosDingus Trainee Engineer

Just being able to set a target speed in the autopilot system would be great.

28. Takeshi Apprentice Engineer

i was looking for an suggestion of a speed limit for remote control and found this thread. Is it against the rules to create a new thread for that special case?

max Speed definition for remote control?
    to use it for point to point flying by autopilot, for drones, for ....

29. druppi Apprentice Engineer

yes it can but I want it as performance friendly as possible Programmable blocks and timer blocks can be an issue, at this development state.

30. druppi Apprentice Engineer

Shouldn't be, but that is what we are talking about here.

yeah that's what I want for the AP to but I think to
    just limit how fast a ship can go in the info tab by slider or in the thruster groups would be more simple and offers player also additional options for their build for what reason they ever want,
    instad limiting it for remotecontrols only.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.