Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

State of Development, Open Development in Early Access, Changes to Release System, Xbox One

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

I have "ZERO" problems to buy , even an high price, sensefull DLC addition to SE - IF the main game is mostly bugfree and playable in multiplayer ...
    If not then i see no sense to put more money in an never bugfree game .... simply ...

Regards

• Like Like x 3
  2. Lord Seth Trainee Engineer

just ask Sean Murray ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

I'm truly sorry you had to wait on my reply for so long to your conclusion, but i was actually rather too busy to reply to the ones who don't actually care about the game that much (either that, or just want to annoy people here on the forum persistently).

The first quote of Stardriver you made was a simply a question, out of shear interest i assume.
    The second was implying that, no matter the outcome, he still would be cool with that.
    I was disagreeing with you being all drama queen about that.
    Wow, that was hard :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

No, he wasn't saying 'no matter what the outcome'- he was saying he didn't need to know ( before or after the announcement that regular updates were to end ) regardless- ergo, contradicting his first statement. I don't understand how me asking him to clarify his stance on the subject could be construed as being 'a drama queen'- I simply asked him whether he cared or not about knowing when updates will drop.

You have a strange way of interpreting plain English- careful with the insults too, you'll get yourself into trouble ;)

As for saying that I don't care about the game and I'm just here to annoy people; grow up. I've been playing for 5 years and obviously I care about the game a great deal, hence why I want to see the bugs fixed so urgently and disagree with people who want to pretend there are no bugs, just 'features'. Do yourself a favour and focus on finding the bugs and reporting them, rather than insulting the people who do.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  5. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

Of those 2 quotes there is no statement that's in contradiction anywhere. You're simply making that up.

Don't worry about me getting in trouble. I'll just respawn after 2 weeks like you did, yet i'm not as... "creative" like you to make it that far, sending me childish-drawings through personal message.
    So having you now telling me to "grow up" is truly a... contradiction.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

Wonder what teenage-style hate picture he comes along with next time... :p

7. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

• Derailing / Offtopic
    okay, one more time:

vs

Those two statements contradict each other directly; one asks which day updates will come out on, the other indicates he doesn't care when they come out. I don't know if the word 'contradiction' means something different where you come from, but around here in the English-speaking world:

I dunno what you guys are talking about regarding drawings or whatever it was- I was given a week or so to 'cool off', then I came back. I must have missed something, but anyway.

8. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

He first asked, if they will still do updates on a thursday or just... whenever.
    He then stated, he doesn't personally need advanced notice.
    I'm already aware of your poor reading capabilities but these are not contradicting questions.
    The question's subject was about when updates would come out, he obviously wasn't sure how'd it quite all work out.
    The subject of the statement he later made was in regards to pre-update notifications. He says he does not personally feel the need to be told that: X, Y, and Z features/bugfixes/etc. are coming in whatever soon releasing update there may be.

In essence, KEEN didn't really give details on when or how updates would come in the future, leaving many of us puzzled as to how they would be done:
    Will Thursday still be "update day", just not every week, or will it just be any day at random? If it were Thursdays still, then everyone interested would know to come check on Thursdays to see if an update has come out, though of course Steam (for most people probably) will auto-update regardless.
    Stardriver, as well as myself, don't particularly see reason to be notified of an update before it comes out. Though IMO if the updates do just occur 100% at random, it'd be nice if they released a basic statement along the lines of: "The next update will go live on *whatever-date-it-may-be*, stay tuned for details!" Perhaps about a week in advance, or whatever seems fit.

There's your answer.
    I don't know why (I do actually) you took the time to analyze two comments from someone and interrogate them on their 'stance', but lets keep it relevant to the thread :I

In other news, just this short break of updates already has me electrified for what's coming. Fingers crossed for custom post-processing options, cause it's useless right now and I'm an OCD graphics enthusiast... really bites my nerves.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. suicideneil Apprentice Engineer

'Contradicting' must mean something different where you come from too- how strange...

If he had actually said 'I don't actually need to know, I'm just curious if...' the first time, then just reiterated that fact the second time, then I wouldn't have asked him to clarify; he didn't however, hence why I asked. Stardriver is a big boy though, he can answer the question himself- he doesn't need you two answering for him ( nor do the devs need you speaking on their behalf- you are doing far more harm than good ).

Take the jump-leads off of your nipples maybe? I am curious myself what's coming though- are we taking bets?...

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Well if we're betting, then I'd bet that the next update won't fix the most obvious issues currently existing. I wouldn't be surprised if the next update was a multiplayer oriented update, because that hasn't received as much attention lately...

And... NOBODY CAN TAKE THE POWER FROM MY NIPPLES!

11. Roxette Senior Engineer

It is very useful for multiplayer server admins to know when an update is expected to be released, as the server will often need attention to deal with whatever the update broke.

12. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

How do they know how or what to fix before the update comes out?

13. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

The patch notes might specify what features of the API would be affected, so that the maintainers of mods that depend on those features would know. Sufficiently knowledgeable server admins may know enough about how their mods work; failing that, the mod maintainers may be able to warn them. Then the server admins can warn their users and disable the mod until it's updated.

A few times, I've seen patch notes mention issues with specific mods or categories of mods that the patch is supposed to fix; so, Keen and some modders are in communication about these things.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. Pegas519 Apprentice Engineer

I am skeptical. it is highly suspicious. It is one thing to say we will do quality updates, that's another taking out the videos and other cuts there have been, and all the things that was said would be done and all the sudden, no, we apparently put words in Marek's mouth. I think there is room to define what is a "finished game" for Keen. It might not be what an end user think it is.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
  15. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

You have asked two questions. The first one is, "do I wanna know when updates will happen?" The answer is yes, I do. The second question is, "do I need to know when updates will happen?" The answer is no, I do not need to know when. I did mention that server admins and Modders probably would want to know when. I was sort of asking on their behalf. I'm sure leaving that part out of my quote was an oversight and was in no way intended to make the previous part seem contradictory.

So, to recapitulate, I was wondering if they were still going to use Thursday as "the day", or if we should not expect an update to occur on any particular day in the week? I'm fairly sure the people that I was asking understood the question, but thank you for the opportunity to clear up any misunderstandings. I'm always happy to set the record straight.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Some of the forum members trying to get used to no update being released each week.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Roxette Senior Engineer

You can never tell what's going to be broken before it comes out, but if you know when to expect it you can at least be ready and prepared to try to fix it when it's due, rather than waiting for the screams of unhappy players that the game is broken again. Routine weekly updates were a bad idea from the beginning, it's just taken a long time for somebody to admit it.

18. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Miner Wars here we come!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  19. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Thrak Junior Engineer

@KissSh0t , thanks for linking to this! I am listening to this right now. Very informative, and it clears up a lot of the things that seemed negative about the original discussion about this plan. The host is doing a great job guiding the discussion based on question the community continues to ask. He's helping Marek be much more detailed and deep in his answers and expressing his philosophy behind this shift. I am about a third of the way into it (it's an hour long podcast interview, essentially), and I can already recommend it for those passionate about this game... and about the idea of a Space Engineers 2.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Some people aren't going to like what they hear. Mostly, people that don't like anything anyone says ;)

22. odizzido Junior Engineer

I don't know how I feel about SE right now....I feel like survival mode will never be more than the disappointment it currently is. Multiplayer might work in the end but multiplayer survival isn't that great and there are no multiplayer modes like deathmatch for creative or anything. Right now SE just has nothing going for it other than messing around for a bit.

23. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

Well that's pretty much the idea of sandbox games :) But I agree with you that the game desperately needs a survival goal, whether it is "get from here to there" or "destroy n pirate bases". Something like that.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. Cetric Junior Engineer

I noticed KissSh0T is monitoring the youtube video front, as far as Space Engineers material and Marek are concerned, and continues to give valuable hints here in the forum about his findings. Time to say thanks!
    --- Automerge ---
    Now imagine yourself in a *real* survival situation. Will you just sit down and despair because there is no manual or someone telling you to "get from here to there"? No. You will set the task yourself. That is all which needs to be said about sandbox games as well. Of course we others who are not short of motives and the developers can't help it if people are lacking phantasy or immersion skill, or fail to set goals to themselves... so they always whine for instructions what to do or they feel lost...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  25. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

I am would be happy with the actual state of SE (content) IF it works as intent and not full buggy in large aeras ...
    For an funny PvP fight in the asteroidfield its working o.k. - but for anything like survival it is an joke ...
    No SE2 or anything for me from Keen is SE not fixed .... have other things i can buy for my money as never bugfree games .....

26. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

I believe that in a real survival situation, the goal is pretty clear. No manual is required - build shelter, find water, find food - in that order. Depending on the current situation - stay where you are so you can be found or try to reach a settlement. Then return to your normal routine. Currently the game has easily obtainable resources, no stationary base is required nor needed. But since we are discussing a game that has different kinds of players, some kind of manual won't hurt. Some engineers like exploring, some like building for the sake of building and there are those who like to follow some kind of scenario. As I see it - you have no reason whatsoever to visit planets or spend a lot of time in search for resources. I will very much love to set some kind of operation with several types of AI drones - mining, defense, transport, exploring, while I spend my time designing better drones. But this is not possible at this time :)

27. Cetric Junior Engineer

Well, if I downloaded an interesting mod planet from workshop and placed it into my 'world' (actually I don't like this word, as we set up space sectors which seem only limited by the capacities of your computer or the game engine, with 'worlds' in it), I am just *dying* to visit and explore it by flying there and landing on it. I think that is a good reason, at least for me. And I may decide to go further and set up a station on it for a claim. I may find hostile forces on it, if I have that mod installed about planetary installations, then the reasons are apparently to overcome those, etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  28. haibusa2005 Trainee Engineer

This sounds interesting. Care to share the planet in question? :)

29. Cetric Junior Engineer

Which one?
    I have a whole collection.

- Andros
    - Yahvic
    - Terra
    - Ravcor
    - Pandora
    - Ares
    - Hyirez
    - Koruta-Islands
    - Lothita
    - Jerun

Have a look for yourself on the workshop. Modders publish them with pictures and some basic description. I only wish we would have weather effects. Really hostile environments. Heavy toxic storms and all that, making a touchdown risky and to stay there even more so.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

This stuff yeah!
    Not sure if the search for food would still be even needed then.
    I think a sufficient aerodynamics-engine can make up for storms, atmospheric re-entry, wings and all of that.
    As i worked with 3DsMax in the past (back when it still used the Havok engine for its physics) the Havok engine already had wind forces and all that.
    Integrating them in SE would still be quite a project though.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.