Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

State of Development, Open Development in Early Access, Changes to Release System, Xbox One

Discussion in 'Change Log' started by Drui, Mar 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. odizzido Junior Engineer

Yeah, I have done what I like but survival is simply too easy. I've made custom planets with no ice, no uranium, no oxygen, and threw myself into the world with 10 ice and enough to build an arc furnace. Surviving that is about as hard as it gets that way. For a second challenge I started a game on the banana boat with my visor up and no jetpack with the objective of landing on a planet(the hardest thing I can think of doing with that start)....so yeah. I have no other real challenges left. No survival challenges at least

If they made a deathmatch mode where you can build your ships with a weight limit you could at least be challenged by other players. I think that would be the best we could hope for at this point.

2. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I would like wind physics in SE and Me... Trying to build custom gliders is pretty fun, but we don't have suitable blocks for that purpose... :(

And I think even a slight wind gust would throw the hedgehog thruster setups into a tailspin. :D

3. TenshouYoku Apprentice Engineer

While not entirely similar to what you'd hope it would be, there is a Twin Platform and Dead Drop Arena setup which is made for PVP. The former provides the planes and a drop-zone while the latter provides a platform, 4 planes and a flagship.

4. yokmp Trainee Engineer

But SE is not about Survival but Engineering. The Survival part is just a bunch of Problems you have to overcome through engineering.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

That may be true if you like engineering just for the sake of engineering. But generally, engineering is a result of solving problems. Once you've solved all the problems, you have no reason to engineer new solutions. Sure, you can start a new map and start the cycle over and over, but after about 2 years of doing that, with pretty much zero new content, (unless you count suit skins and parachutes) it tends get boring extremely fast.

That's not necessarily a bad thing at this point, however, Keen need to decide whether they're going to continue dangling the "survival" carrot in front of everyone, or put it away and get on with finishing the game in it's existing form. We were told over 6 months ago (correct me if I'm wrong) that a survival overhaul was coming yet we've heard nothing since.

Multiplayer would help keep the game interesting for at least a little longer, but right now it's as stable as a tripod with two legs.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. Cetric Junior Engineer

'Survival' is a good method to "put a carrot", as Syncaidius described it, in front of those who need getting motived for doing things. And rescuing oneself is a strong motive.
    The other method to make a genius sandbox game more interesting to the masses of less engineer-minded people is to bring in storylines and make them accomplish missions. That has been initiated too and can be enlarged anytime, if even as late as full release, by full campaigns you can follow through.
    The main thing is to leave Space Engineers open to most of the popular gaming styles, to have it customised by the gamer to his needs. So SE can become a survival game for one, a space shooter for another, a multiplayer thingie or a singleplayer heaven, a storytelling roleplay... and once we have the female astronaut, maybe it will be a space dating game as well? Who knows... :)
    For me, the sandbox designing, experimenting and testing part is still the most important. Filled the time until now and I see no end to it. However, I know that must be a minority who is like me. Others need 'carrots' or a roadmap what to do next. And as long as I have this what I want, I am happy for all those who want to find something different in SE and can find it too, one way or the other, by said present or future customisation. We are united in our wish the game has success with a broad fanbase and customer base. Because if it sells well, it will survive and stay on the scene, furthermore encourage the next big project. It all comes down to this: material success, dreaming alone does not feed developers (or anyone else).

• Like Like x 3
  7. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

SE is a sandbox game... plain and simple that means there really is no "objective". The user makes the objective, have you tried that?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  8. Thrak Junior Engineer

Don't be silly. Having a robust survival experience goes hand-in-hand with the "sandbox" experience. Did you ever actually play in a sandbox as a kid? What did you do? You created stories. You built castles, roads, created floods with buckets of water. You brought your toys outside to be in the world you created. You created a narrative in your own, constructed world. SE needs help in that regard. As @Syncaidius says, rightly, it can get stale pretty quickly. More environmental challenges, more things to do are needed. Right now, in survival, the threshold of "surviving" is pretty easy to cross. If we're to build a better mousetrap, we need some mice. There are plenty of examples of where modders have added (or attempted to add) this. SE need not become a become a 1st or 3rd person shooter... but let me ask this... why do you think the tutorial Keen added to the game is in the form of missions, with a rudimentary story?

I have every confidence that Keen will add elements to survival that will, in turn, add challenge to the game. Based on their need to make money, I suspect we'll be asked to pay for it as a DLC or expansion pack. I am cool with that.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Cetric Junior Engineer

And this could change easily if the game sets up more severe starting condition scenarios. Like on planets with dangerous weather effects as has been proposed somewhere else. People then could measure their capabilities by the scenario they can handle.
    In addition, the incidence of ore could be preset for initiation of planets at scenario start - from extremely rare to abundant.
    --- Automerge ---
    Steam workshop is the real asset for SE, giving the material to direct the game experience for everyone into the desired game category. What works now for blocks and programs will one day also add campaigns and storylines, if the authors get a tool to fabricate them for a smooth fitting into the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Syncaidius Junior Engineer

I never said it wasn't a sandbox and yes of course I've made my own objectives, thousands of times. What kind of silly question is that?

What I did say is Keen keep dangling the "survival" carrot/gameplay in front of everyone, so those that want that kind of gameplay are sticking around with the expectation of it arriving. Like I said in my previous post, Keen stated themselves that a survival overhaul was on the way around 6 months ago (and even marked a tech tree as planned on the feedback site). If they're not going to deliver that, it's best to tell the player base now, because the longer they leave it the more damage they do to themselves long-term.

I agree, but as many have previously said, the problem isn't really about how to play a sandbox, it's about what to do when you've done everything there is to do in said sandbox. There's only so many times you can rescue yourself (or others) before it gets boring. There's only so many times you can crash ships together before the novelty wears off, or setup a specially designed disaster scenario, or PVP battles, or PVE battles. Having set them up, you'll already know where everything is, so there isn't really any awesome unexpected surprises that are going to happen in those scenarios.

Mods can only do so much with the existing gameplay mechanics. Take EEM for example, a mod which vastly expands SE as best as it can towards a survival game. It does an amazing job, but it always ends up with the same result; What to do once you've got all the resources you could ever need? You're back to just building things for the sake of it, which you've likely done hundreds of times previously.

Keen would be foolish not to build a full survival experience on the great foundations they have in SE, even if it's via DLC as @Thrak mentioned.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Skyrim is also a sandbox game... That doesn't mean it's a walking simulator.

Don't make excuses for these devs, but especially Marek, who constantly vetos any effort or suggestion of making the game do more than just weld two blocks together.

There are people who try to make sandboxes. You know, with more than just eye candy.

And then there are the people who make walking simulators.

Whoever is truly in charge of SE these days, has opted for the latter.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  12. Malware Master Engineer

Skyrim is nowhere near being a sandbox game. It's an open world game. The very fact that it contains hundreds of quests precludes it from being a sandbox game.

• Agree Agree x 8
  13. Thrak Junior Engineer

I think people easily conflate the two terms, "sandbox" and "open world." Skyrim is certainly the latter. SE is both.

• Agree Agree x 5
  14. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

I'd like to hear what types of things you'd like to see added, because survival is already a thing... It's not hardcore survival where you have to plant and grow food, drink water, find medicine, etc. But it is already (or rather it already has an option for) survival game. You have to manage the resources you obtain, find new resources, and work yourself up "the chain" if you will. Players and things take damage, they and you need fixing. That is a "survival game". Survival doesn't mean objectives and goals that need to be reached whilst literally trying to survive, survival is just non-creative mode. Things can go wrong.

I don't believe KEEN ever had the intent of making a survival game as you seem to be wishing for.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I was merely comparing extremes, for the purpose of creating a scale.

Skyrim was one of the best in depth games ever made. (It was so good, that even Kingdoms of Amalur, also an excellent title in the same vein, paled in comparison and the studio crashed amid rumors of them attempting to create an MMO on state funding (oh Kickstarter where were you when we needed you) and now, the state of California (I believe?) owns the rights to the franchise, which means we will never see a Kingdoms of Amalur II. One of the most bizarre sagas to ever happen to a studio. /end sidenote)

It (Skyrim) is in the sandbox category because all Elder Scrolls titles are partly in that category - simply calling them open world games does not really do them justice. There are many open world games, but very few of them also have sandbox elements. That means, play the game in whatever way you want and have the game react to you, the player. You can set your own goals. Do your own thing. Build a house. Get married. Adopt kids. Solve the world's problems/not solve the world's problems. Roleplay living as a Nord. Be an evil outlaw assassin who is also a vampire/werewolf. You can craft your own legendary weapons and armor.

To just call it "an open world game" is I dunno, to say that Fallout New Vegas is strictly a first person shooter. Skyrim breaks so many barriers of "norms". That's why I used it in comparison.

The point of that scale was illustrating that SE is more akin to the 'walking simulator' side of the scale because it offers you so very little to do, and the world never changes, never reacts to anything you do. You can drill a hole in the ground but I don't call that reacting to you or an element of a sandbox.

You build your ships and take them out for a stroll.

And occasionally if you're trying to play with someone else, shoot at each other until one of you blows up.

That is not a sandbox. It's a creative demo. It's more akin to a walking simulator where you build your own walking/flying thing and other than the above, that's it.

If you told those 2 million people who bought SE at launch that the game would more or less not change for the next decade or so, I doubt there would have been the same interest.

The gameplay is the exact same as it was at launch, save some bells and whistles and 10 coats of shiny new paint. It was innovative. At launch. It sold a lot of copies because people had never been able to do those types of things before outside of EVE Online (Build their own ship, fly it in a nice skybox, mine. That's cool.)

Although it never claimed to want to be EVE with 'build your own ships', people had guarded expectation of where the title could go next. But in five years, the devs sat on their hands, taking the title nowhere in particular. To hear Marek shoot down community ideas on his Q&A stream (and even possibly removing blocks that he didn't feel fit SE)... It's downright regressive. And that's what I have a problem with.

Regressive titles that call themselves things they are not because they offer bare bones options, multiplayer and a Steam workshop.
    --- Automerge ---
    If anything, I would prefer SE call itself a "platform" instead of a "sandbox".

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  16. Malware Master Engineer

@Tenzo Well if you keep using the word "sandbox" for these titles I really envy the sandbox you had when you were a toddler ;) SE has always been up front with being a true sandbox, whether we like it or not. I don't. I don't believe "sandbox games" make for good games, and I'm as disappointed as anyone that SE won't be getting more in-depth gameplay - although I gave up on that hope quite some time ago. But the term means what the term means. None of the bethesda games are sandbox games.

The very definition of "sandbox game" is games that have no implicit gameplay at all, not just that you can do what you want. That's not enough to be called sandbox. The Bethesda games are the very definition of open world games. It's a very strong and positive definition of what those games are. I love those games. True, it's not enough to define them, because yes it's only part of what they are. But the term "sandbox game" is rather specific and cannot be applied to them.

Heck, not even real walking simulator games can really be compared to sandbox games, because even they usually have some sort of story to tell.

Yes, SE is a sandbox. SE is right now the epiphany of what "sandbox game" means, for good and ill.

The ugly fact is this. The very definition of early access games is that you should purchase it for what it is at the time of purchase, not what it might become in the future. That's even stated in Steam's definition of what early access is. One of the reasons why I don't buy into early access games any more, I despise the system for so many reasons. Unfortunately many people (me included) fall prey to expectations.

As a side note:
    You have no idea how unfair that statement is.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 5
  17. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, I get it... I kind of regretted it after I said it.

I meant in context of doing new features they kind of just let it stagnate.

I didn't mean that they didn't put in a lot of work. I mean, the bug fixing, the planets and everything else is not nothing. I didn't mean to diminish the work they put into the game. I used to post on the StarCraft forums and people there accused the devs on sitting on their hands all the time when they didn't do "pro-active" balance changes. So that context can change a lot depending on why they (the devs) are getting heat, but yeah, probably not the fairest thing to say.

If any devs are reading through all of this, thanks for all your hard work.

I meant it in the usual you know, 'user b' is angry that 'feature y' is not in the game. Arrrr, angry face. :)

Nothing too special. Just another Thursday.

@Malware I respect your opinion as someone who knows about code a lot more than I do, so perhaps I expect too much out of the term sandbox? Hmm, maybe. I blame Steam though, they toss that tag around pretty liberally (esp on voxel games).

I think it makes more sense to me to think of SE as a platform though, probably because it's a little too techy for me to do anything like mods or even basic new textures, so I can't really play around with that editing side of it. Thinking back, I think I've always thought of Elder Scrolls as partly sandbox because of those powerful editors that let you customize the game. I did my own helmets - (duplicates) with the model hidden, so that they don't get in the way when your character gets a cinematic finisher on a monster. Feels pretty good when something like that you actually made, works. Their editors were a lot easier for me to use, so perhaps that's why they've had more of an impact regarding sandbox elements.

For me though, SE is just a platform... That expects "plugins". Stuff from outside the game, from someone else to make, with more technical knowledge.

I haven't been able to create stuff for it other than things we can do with blocks in game. I imagine for people with more technical knowledge, SE would feel more positive towards using the term "sandbox" as opposed to "platform". If there were logic blocks in game, that you could assign to various things to create a semblance of factions or AI fleets, whether your own or an enemy, I probably wouldn't mind so much (for example). But because so much of what it can do is sort of under the hood, it frustrates me as a basic user.

It feels out of my reach, therefore my perceptions of the game are rather basic. Marek reinforces that perception by tossing around the term modding a lot when he's asked about features that players want in game, and it really feels hopeless on my end. Esp with release looming around the corner.

So... I wonder, regarding the Xbox release... How are they going to handle that aspect of it, are they going to try to do something more user friendly so that people can add functionality to this "sandbox" in-game? Because you can't necessarily mod a console game. Or are Steam mods going to be compatible, I dunno how that works but maybe they will do something more user friendly before release... Maybe... That will really help users like me inject some life into the otherwise not very sandy "sandbox". :)

Then I could see it too. As a sandbox. Meanwhile, it's a platform, that sits quietly on my shelf, and I look at it wistfully sometimes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Malware Master Engineer

@Tenzo

Yeah, lots of Steam games are mislabeled, this is true. I've even seen non-VR games tagged as VR :p

SE being a sandbox game doesn't really preclude it from being a "platform". It's both. I'm not sure if I've made my anti-mod stance clear to you, but SE is the game that made that happen. While I very much appreciate supporting the modding community, it's just wrong to make it a primus motor of your game in my opinion - and I agree, it really feels like this is what they're doing.

Yeah, the XBox release is either going to have to be something completely different, or somehow support mods. I think this was covered either by the stream or that Captain Jack interview...? Although (insert deity here) knows how they're gonna pull that off. But hey, we're talking about the people who somehow made fully deformable voxel planets (well, planetoids, but you get my drift) here. There's no lack of technical skill, that's for sure. It's just... well, there's so much new grounds to cover. Anyway, I don't care much for that version as I won't be playing that anyway.

There's a not-so-small fact that people tend to overlook when talking about adding a whole bunch of features to the game. It wasn't supposed to be anywhere near as big as it has become. This means that the core engine isn't designed for it, so it's by necessity been patched up and patched up to support the things people have been asking for all this time. This means that it's far, far from as efficient as it could be, and it just doesn't fly to keep patching. This is the reason Marek is talking about the "next" space engineers version. They're gonna finish SE to the best of their ability, then they're gonna start from scratch with what they've learned from this - and hopefully do it right. This is my interpretation of what he's said, mind you. Like I said, there has been so much new research, learning and groundbreaking development happening in this game. It's sad, really, understandable though as it is, that people don't see what they have achieved. People only see what they haven't.

But still. The end result of this version of SE is gonna determine whether or not I will pay for another Keen game - although I think he said that the next version wouldn't be an early access game? I might have imagined that, don't quote me. Anyway I have donated a lot of time and money for this version of SE, far more than the price I originally paid, when we take my contributions into account. Don't get me wrong, I didn't do this with the expectation of getting something back. Well, except getting my contributions into the vanilla game, that is - which I did. I'm just trying to paint a picture of how much I have invested in the game. I don't really expect much. But I do expect something. I'll just wait and see, they're not done yet.

I'm probably starting to repeat myself now, but... I cannot really complain. I have 2769 hours in the game at the point of writing this. Even when we subtract all the dev time, that's still significantly more than any other individual game I've ever played. That's saying something.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Tenzo Apprentice Engineer

I can't say how refreshing it is to hear someone here say that. Sometimes it feels like I'm walking into a room full of well meaning forum members, laughing and I'm holding my whiskey glass like Brick from Anchorman. "Haha. Yes, modding." But can't really add anything to the conversation.

The Xbox version will probably look like this:

[​IMG]

20. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

FIRST!

-Morloc

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Late Late x 1
  21. MagicalFungi Trainee Engineer

lol, they stop weekly updates and you people lose it. Ridiculous demands for features, flame wars and pointless arguments have always been a staple of the keen forums, but this is a new level. I wish they had an "ignorant" or "retarded" emote to add to some of these posts, "disagree" just doesn't capture the proper response.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. DigitalStone Apprentice Engineer

It's an unfortunate byproduct of the internet i think. People can collectively spew out about what they think, then companies "must" work towards the needs of the people to keep their rep.
    Demanding things is indeed a whole new level.
    It's child-like behavior from whose daily cupcake has been kept from, but now demands it's parents to get new fresh cupcakes... and potato chips... and also this and that.

Asking for/bringing up new ideas are totally worth it.
    But demanding is just rude and silly. People want control so bad to, in the end, sooth their taste of that sweet sweet dopamine. That's all it is anyway.

So if Keen can't give it to you, get some coke already :D

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  23. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

It is not the weekly updates that irritates most people. It is the statements from marek. Calling SE feature complete is upfront wrong. It’s like stating the earth is flat.

They can still release SE without any gameplay or progress mechanic for sure. But I can’t tell if I would still recommend it to anyone though. What fascinated me (and many others I guess) about this game was the progress that SE made in alpha stage.

If they decide to release se anyway, I can’t stop them, it is fine. I would also be fine to finance some more features, I put so much time in this game already, so why not. But since keen is unable to formulate a road map or any plan at all for what they are doing that ain’t gonna happen.

Anyway. Please stop blaming people for their expectations. Just watch all the update videos and Keens teasers one after another, and tell me again, Keen did not want that hype and these expectations.

We all are here because we care for SE. Let’s hope the best.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  24. Royale98 Trainee Engineer

Except, people's expectations are a massive issue, people interpret everything in their own way and hype themselves up and when it's not what they expected they complain.
    Of course the Alpha had a lot of progress, they HAD to add features because it was essentially feature-less as is any new open-dev game. Now the game has been in beta, and is (mostly) feature complete and they need to focus on optimizations.
    They've already explained why there won't be a roadmap, and it's not because they're unable, it's not hard to make a roadmap :woot:
    Calling SE feature complete is not like stating the earth is flat. Anyone with ears and the will to listen to cold, hard facts knows the earth isn't flat. SE is (again not 100% finished but mostly) feature complete. It is what it was designed to be and more. But for sure we can hold onto hope that more will be added. Certainly nobody is saying it needs less, well it needs less clang and bugs but that's besides the point.

But nobody can complain that it's not feature complete for two reasons:
    1. The game isn't released yet, so we don't actually know what it will end with.
    2. It is, so far, what it was supposed to be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  25. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

I respectfully disagree with all your statements.

*shows a gun*
    Players: „we will get a pistol“

*shows long trailer of h2 motor/fuel cell*
    Players: “we will get a fuel cell“

*shows trailer with lag free MP raid with 20+ players, full scale battle*
    Players: „we will get a perfect AAA-shit game experience“

THE PLAYERS EXPECTATIONS ARE RUINING THE COMMUNITY FOLKS!

Keen should really use the guys they hired. You have Xoc, use him! He is a really nice guy and the community loves him, so make him the communicator, make the things sound right. He has not that language barrier.
    And you have Aragath, USE HIM, keep the community busy, he can build wonderful creations and he already did so. Make him build stuff for exploration, make something that’s worth to explore!

But keen doesn’t bother. They also didn’t bother to correct the mistake they made with the ship of mine that they integrated into the exploration mode. The Cerberus should initially have a spawn group that could spawn smaller ships. Someone on the workshop fixed it and there is a bug report around for it that is years old.

That’s the level of keen not bothering about these things.

But why should I bother? My complains here won't change anything, so I will return to lurk and finish my latest station.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. RkyMtnDude Apprentice Engineer

Goal. No Bugs and polished? Woot!
    Then the MOD community can finally do their piece, The creators within the community can sink their teeth into the task providing scenarios and worlds for survival use, and players can finally create without fear of clang and can immerse. SE's primary role was was never about a having an experience. It's primary role was always about making your own with some others. MP was always there, but was originally, I would guess, more co-op or small gamer group focused. If you are really bored, maybe try an old time space radio show while you play to help with the fantasy? Idk

The primary reasons, IMHO, that the MOD community lost interest and that support has waned is that the game changes too much over the pre-release development, breaking the mod or game as a result... etc. Even some of the dead or unpolished mods will come alive after release, I bet. Whether through re-interest by the orig modder, or as a community resurrected project.

and on that note... LOL Here is my list of features I would see as being very impactful and should be included and committed to in the core game upon release of SE or as a no-cost expansion to the player very shortly after:

1. Character generator. Make it so you can represent ANY person on earth. Make them AVATARS in such a way that you can change them along the way to SOME, but not ALL degrees to reflect style changes. hair color, weight but cannot change from human to alien. or something like that.

2. Server Sector generator. (made up name on the spot). Ability for admins to denote regions in space to have: Higher likelihood of NPC spawn, auto spawn, or event trigger. player spawn regions. Protection zones. Asteroid free or asteroid heavy (not all or nothing or having to use a third-party tool, routine, or hand place. ore rich or ore free zones (using sliders so maybe an admin can make a region have NO gold). You may say this is all with Mods, or a little work, but I think it should be included.

3. Ship Speeds increased by at least double. It is less than 250 MPH now. Even some cars go faster than that, and planes exceed it. Space ships can't?

4. Laser Antenna range increased. Just please.

5. Suit radio range Increasable with upgrades or simply just longer. Way to short for it to be considered realistic. Kids have better walkie-talkies now!

I will leave it at that order and that short. Good luck Keen!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

"Space Engineers is a sandbox game about engineering, construction, exploration and survival in space and on planets. Players build space ships, space stations, planetary outposts of various sizes and uses, pilot ships and travel through space to explore planets and gather resources to survive."

No mention of "combat" there. I suppose "survival" could be defined by managing suit resources and not walking into grinders/welders/drills. Avoiding pirates is a step in the right direction too. Spiders/Wolves are a WIP. Not a game I'd probably buy...Doh!...too late.

-Morloc

28. Cetric Junior Engineer

How often I have read this allegation. Nonsense. Mods are still getting published, and not the worst ones. Some modders go, some modders come, some come back after finding new excuses - as usual. The talent is still outa there, in the sum. Nothing to make a tragedy about.
    The numbers for speed and distance are not to be taken 1:1 from real world, they are just game parameters. So I would advise not to get upset about those. For instance, my two stations are 18.070 km apart. Which, in space, is like sitting on someone's lap. Ridiculous distance. However, in game it takes me ages to fly a transport between the stations as here 18.070 km feels like 180 light years.
    This I second wholeheartedly. Deep space communication. The laser antennas meanwhile got some major buff a few updates ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

I'm not generally one to speculate, especially with nothing to pin my conclusions on but, I can see only one way Space Engineers can happen on the Xbox.

Since the current game can bring even the most robust purpose-built gaming rigs to their knees, the thought of Space Engineers as we know it on an Xbox is laughable. I can't think of any pc game that works on the Xbox. PC gamers have expectations that they will have all of the resources their pc has to offer available to them. This is why when you buy a pc game, you're not done spending money. Your pc has to be able to play the game, and that almost always means you need a new something: video card, memory, monitor, all that and probably more. With console you buy the game and by god it better work or else. Even a console as sophisticated as the Xbox One along with the Elite controller cannot compare to the most pedestrian pc with a mouse and keyboard. This is why we get Skyrim for pc and Morrowind for console. Both are Elder Scrolls. Other than that they are different games.

So, this is my speculation. I believe the Space Engineers that comes out on Xbox will be the campaign we never got and will never get with the current game. A console game can provide the missing back story so many people crave, and it can provide the shooter experience people believe is the current game's weakest point. If the story is well written and well executed Space Engineers could be right up there with all the most popular console titles.

Microsoft put Halo Forge on the pc and made it possible to download anything you make into the console game. If you can make stuff in the PC version of SE and play with it with your friends on the console version that would probably work. No modded blocks, but scripts might still work. I'm thinking a console SE multiplayer game would look a lot like Dreadnaughts. No giant ships like I like to build, but lots of "big Red" and "Big Blue" sized ships you can fight each other with, and lots of planets/derelict ships/stations to fight over and loot.

And somewhere, someone is keeping score.

This is just me with my limited mind thinking how the hell would I put something like Space Engineers on a console.

30. Malware Master Engineer

blink blink what? I'm confused. Elder Scrolls is a series. There was Morrowind (for PC, didn't even know it was for consoles), then there was Oblivion, then there was Skyrim. Oblivion and Skyrim are on consoles everywhere.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.