Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

State Of Space Engineers

Discussion in 'General' started by Ravric, Jan 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I wish there was a medium hydrogen tank for small ships.

• Like Like x 6
  2. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Updated my last post to include the picture of the incorrect mirroring of the 2x1 window flat

4. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

At the very least I'd like the mass on small grid tanks to be reduced. As it stands a small grid tank has less than 1/30th the capacity but has 39% of the mass of the large grid variant. A small grid small hydro thruster having a mass of over 300 kg is also completely ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Devon_v Senior Engineer

Well, the whole development has been public, so not quite the same, but it's a great list of outstanding issues that we are now in the development phase to address.

6. m.stitek Trainee Engineer

This GIF clrealy shows the issue I have with SE. Too many explosions. How can armor box made of an iron explode so easily.? The rotor should break down and the armor should deform, but deifnitely not explode. Sometimes I feel that the block are made out of explosive glass.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Everything in this game explodes too easily. -_-

I kinda feel like explosives should be used to make everything since it will make sense when it explodes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. PsicoPato Senior Engineer

I really hope that keen sees this thread. =X

9. Clone Marshal Commander Trainee Engineer

• Small 1x1x1 for small grid
      • Connector
    • Small Advanced Rotor for small grid
    These features should be disregarded. It wouldn't make sense to pump ore through a tube or rotor of that size. Even larger conveyors and advanced pistons are impractical. Not unless the ore has been turned into a fine dust, but we have no reason to believe it has. What cleans the interior or isolates the substances?

• Disagree Disagree x 3
  10. Dwarf-Lord Pangolin Senior Engineer

You need to think in terms of the MST3K Mantra. It makes sense because ore can already pass through all small-sized conveyor blocks. It's about gameplay, not realism.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Tweeked the Blast Door Blocks and Catwalks to be open about getting a blank version. We already do have the ability to create and save custom world settings, just make a template save like I do for SE, Word, Excel, etc. Added Space master ability to repair.

Added
    Added
    Added IMG
    Added
    Hydrogen, uranium and bullets? If you wanted a 45 degree bend in a small grid small conveyor tube you would have to do this.

Now to the best part..

• Landing Gear
        • Large Landing gear is offset __ IMG
      • Merge Blocks
        • Not connecting when attached to rotors/pistons etc __ IMG
    FIXED and removed from the list

Let me know when anyone finds more to remove and if there is anything missing.

• Like Like x 4
  12. D3Seeker Trainee Engineer

:whatever: Well sheesh. I'm clearly off kilter here. Must not be SEing right :eek:ops:

13. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

@Ravric

Blast Door blocks. Atmospheric thrusters melt them. They are supposed to be immune to thruster damage; not anymore. Also, armor blocks clip through them when the armor block is lying on them at an angle. So there's something off with the collisions of armor blocks or blast door blocks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. iN5URG3NT Senior Engineer

15. JD.Horx Senior Engineer

How about raising the max speed to reasonable 200m/s. I'm testing this with a speed mod since almost a year and it seems quite stable (as stable as SE can be).

Edit: I guess probably everybody here tested one of the speed mods ranging from 200m/s over 1000m/s to FTL at least once. I think we can agree that a decent speed increase should be possible.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

Physics updates 60 times a second meaning an object moving at 100 m/s will travel 1.66m between updates. At 200m/s we're well over the 2.5m size of a large grid block which can result in phasing of grids. I don't use speed mods so it's not something I have personally experienced however I've heard that as the speed goes up phasing becomes more and more likely due to the update rate. 125m/s would imo be a good start and then see how it goes from there. Theoretically you could go almost to 150 m/s but this will cause issues with small grids which can already phase a little at 100 m/s.

That's my limited understanding of the problem.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. High Ground Apprentice Engineer

As for increasing speeds I would not recommend increasing speeds for large block ship (we have Jump Drives) but I would be all for increasing the speed of small block ships by to 125 - 150 meter per second. Fighter should be faster than capital ships.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Added
    They fixed this, and gave us a new present this.
    Added

19. KingdomBragg Junior Engineer

Another minor issue I've had is the lack of separate safety lock on and safety lock off for the rotors in the timer commands and g-menu. Having only the safety lock on/off command means that its easy for people to mess up timer setups where you don't know the start condition.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. jonnytaco Apprentice Engineer

agreed. Currently the only way to be sure is to make a little script that forces one bool status or the other.

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Wheel suspension blocks can be complicated if you don't know how to work them properly. They have all of these options to allow for a variety of needs that could be filled, but in reality, there are only going to be two types of terrain; Off-road and On-road. Would it make more sense to have just Off-road wheels and On-road wheels? (Voxel vs Blocks)

Also, where are my concrete blocks?

• Agree Agree x 2
  22. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

Added

Added

They Hot Fixed:
    • World curruption when saving in a cockpit using 3rd person __ BugRep

23. The Churrosaur Junior Engineer

While we're at it I kind of want a pony. Can you do that for me Rav?

• Funny Funny x 2
  24. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

An issue I have is the lack of a rotate clockwise/anticlockwise button for rotors in timer blocks and cockpits. This makes thier use for more complex mechanisms more difficult than nececcery and just ends up with using scripts as a timer block, where a script really shouldn't be nececcery.

25. PyreStarite Junior Engineer

Update the conveyor part of the list, the small 6 way is in the G Menu, it just doesn't show up until you start providing search parameters. Also, straight small conveyor tube and elbow conveyor tube do not match.

26. Farindark Apprentice Engineer

Greetings

Small conveyor points on the two sides of the medium container that are currently blank. Would make adding things like hydrogen thrusters or small generators soooo much easier to small ship builds using medium containers. :tu:

27. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Unless they fixed it (Have not played in a while) the character randomly moves the first person view as they "Look around" making it hard to keep my cockpits with LCD readouts in view when in remote control.

28. Ravric Apprentice Engineer

I'll put that on my project list which is backlogged, stopped and long.
    Added
    Small ship, large conveyor 6 way, and Added the mismatch
    I have never had or noticed a issue with no access to certain sides to the medium container and if you can I would like to see an example which would extremely benefit with the additional ports.
    That is a 3rd person bug that has been around since late 2015.

29. Gakhon Trainee Engineer

I don't think this should be seen as an unsolvable issue (since, if my understanding is correct, it is being routinely solved in games and other applications). One of the solution I read about is to draw an object (obviously an invisible one, e.g. a box or capsule) between the moving body's previous and current position, and check the intersections on that drawn object. If intersection is detected, update the states accordingly before the render step. This drawn object is obviously an approximation, but it should still give better experience than leaving the tunneling issue persist.

Another variation of the solution is to, if I understand correctly, draw the sweep test object in front of the moving body, see if there will be a collision, calculate what time resolution the physics engine would need to be set to avoid the tunneling, and to set it to that resolution temporarily. But this seems a bit more problematic to implement in a game like SE that struggles with sim speed.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  30. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

Actually, the issue I'm talking about is in first person. The constantly shifting up and down is a bit annoying when you are using most of your FOV for data readouts and still being able to see enough.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.