Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

State of the game: IMO

Discussion in 'General' started by Dragonspride, Feb 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

I love this game, I love the way the resource management works, I love mining, I love building. I love the new wheel update, I like the new visuals. However what I hate? This game is shallow hole that looks like a pretty picture. Let me explain. I can visit different planets, I can mine asteroids, I can find a few creations here and there. I can build a larger ship too..., er. I can build a space station because..., I can build a venator star destroyer by hand in the game to scale because....

That is the problem. Space Engineers has the best features in the genera, Planets, voxal destruction. All the bells and whistles. Even a small touch of multiblock construction via upgrade modulus (more of that, please!) But what it is sorely missing is content. There is no antagonist, other then a few dumb guided ships with a SOS trigger. After you have a solar panel and some ICE you have everything you need. Survival is handed to you. Sure you have some wolves, and a spoiler alert few aliens to fight. But the universe is dead. No trade, no factions fighting or vying for power. No police forces to run from.

I know about multiplayer and mods, but you shouldn't rely on the community to finish your game specifically when it has the potential that this one does. I've seen beloved genras die because of that *Rip Silent hunter 5.

So thoughts?

TLDR: Repeating everything I wrote.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Once the game stabilizes a bit more there'll probably be more content. KSH made a campaign that was sort of a tutorial with story. Other modders have created content, my favorite being Escape from Mars, but that one was broken for a while by updates.

An official "big bad" in the distance to defeat would be nice but unlikely.

3. Silvrav Trainee Engineer

But game is in BETA....Major content adding is done

4. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Campaigns are already a feature though. I can't imagine they would only ship out the game with just 1 offical campaign. My main concern is to decide at which point additional Keen campaigns as dlc are acceptable. Also, the game is very much a sandbox, so there is the mod community.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Most of the features are likely done yes... Content, I hope not. Because currently a lot of the features are running pretty sparse assets that if expanded upon could make a very, very good overall experience. Cargo ships for example, which are using basically the same behavior as they did when first added. Only the Argentavis demonstrates the ability of the cargo ship system to handle more intelligent craft. The encounter system demonstrates spawning stationary things, such as pirate bases or mysteriosly stationary ships, yet they are very rare and often very odd inclusions due to the failings of the approval process.

And we still have the hydrogen engine and wind turbines coming at some point which were teased months ago, so definatly not done with new blocks. Nearly done I would think though.

6. Sich Trainee Engineer

Another EA game that I know was stalling for a long time...
    And once they have finish the core of the game they where able to add a lot of content very fast....

I just hope that once they have finish the core game and multiplayer they will make a lot of job on pve and survival...

Because yes, atm you need some mods to make the game to be really a game...
    Without mods the game lack a lot of content...

7. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

BETA, theoretically, means the game is largely "feature complete", as in most desired systems are in the game in a reasonably working state. It's also when elaboration beyond those basic foundations can happen and more "fluff" content is added to the game, like nonessential blocks, more wildlife, etc. Obviously they are still working even on completing some features, so it shouldn't be surprising that more content is likely (and hopefully) going to be added.

Features =/= content

• Like Like x 1
  8. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I think that's a bit different for SE and ME. Most games aren't also making their engine as they go. Beta may simply mean that all the basic fundamentals and their frameworks are in place, even the ones not yet functioning.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Xelo Trainee Engineer

Building and mining is so much fun (for me).
    I don't need any armed warfare against players or NPCs. For this we have the real life, so I don't need even more conflicts in a game... at least not me.
    Instead I would really like to get some instructions or orders from my company or employer.
    F.e. "Build a satellite/station in orbit, which is able to support arriving ships with lots of hydrogen".
    "Prepare a planet for terraforming"
    "Prepare a planet for colonization"
    "Build a spaceport"
    "Get blackbox of crashed deep space miner "Bumblebee" to gather information of accident. Look out for survivors."

etc etc

What I really would like to have is the possibility to "jump" to other star systems, to explore, to build, to invent and to solve problems which the nature is throwing against me.
    "Explore ancient alien structure on Tubulus Vb. Be careful to not damage any of them. Prepare for arrival of archeologists. Build habitats for them."
    or
    "Build heat and xray resistant exploration drone to gather information of the untypical flares on star Tadrovosh B"

THIS would be the kind of game, I would be interested in. Building structures, preparing planets for future operations, establish an infrastructure, helping scientists to fulfill their objectives, help colonists to survive in case of a natural incident (f.e. impact of large asteroid), etc, etc.

I don't know if this is possible to realize. But nevertheless this would be the game, I would be interested in. And not in destroying the constructions or ships of other players/NPCs.

The game is called "Space Engineers" and not "Space Marines".
    I really miss the engineering part: to solve problems.
    And I really miss more star systems with a wide variety of planet types and stars.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  10. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Good idea but i fear it might be a bit hard to implement

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  11. Dragonspride Apprentice Engineer

Star Trek, before they compleatly went off their rockers with the new ones heavily influenced me. Having confrontations is needed. It is needed because of the emotions that it brings up, fight or flight, etc. It ads so much depth if done right.

12. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

These are definitely the spirit of what I'd want from scenarios for Space Engineers, though in practice I'd think they'd have to be narrower in scope. The blackbox scenario seems pretty close to doable, though, and I've imagined something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Xelo Trainee Engineer

My examples were only very simplified examples, which I found while I wrote my comment. Of course these objectives should be more precise.
    Thank you for finding them quit interesting. I have a whole bunch of those in my mind,... SE offers infinite possibilities for jobs like this and I always found it very boring to play SE just to destroy something. I would like to create something, not destroy something.

Such a nice and beautiful game with such a creative potential I was looking for a very long time. There are other games like this... I know that (Empyrion, Avorion, etc) but to build or mine with a futuristic laser multitool disturbs my immersion. To have a grinder, a welder and a drill was the reason why I gave SE a chance. and I was not disappointed, but a little more of content would be very nice, preferably some peaceful content like some objectives I described above, which forces the player to be creative.

Sorry for bad english. It is not my native language. But I will try my very best. Thank you for reading.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

With a few tweaks those are doable. Terraforming is out but the others can probably be scripted. Each station or base would have the connectors and simple armor block structure pre placed in voxels.

I still want NPCs and basic intersections. Specifically NPC passengers for compensation or rescue the crew type missions.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. FoolishOwl Junior Engineer

Oh, definitely. "Terraforming" is probably way out of reach. But, "Build three terraforming engines, which must include this custom block that requires 5 MW of power and only solar panels and batteries on the grid, and must be at least 90 km apart", may be possible. (And come to think of it, some custom blocks that look like they do something-or-other, don't have any specific function, but can have some details set via scripting, would be helpful.)
    Yes, but I think proper NPCs would be exceptionally difficult to implement in SE. On the other hand, it should be possible to have character models follow assigned paths and do stock animations -- Xocliw's machinima to show off the major update featured some, and something like that appeared in an April Fools' Day patch a few years ago. Or just sit in a chair.

• Like Like x 1
  16. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

I envision basic NPCs shells that utilize the saberoid pathfinding, except targeted to passenger seats with certain tags. Health stats but no jetpack or O2.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. PLPM Junior Engineer

"Space engineers, not space marines"

I`m sorry, there`s a loading quote in which it specifically states that engineers are expected to perform in a miriad of scenarios, one of them being combat
    (found it)

"In war times, space engineering involves military engineering as well. Such tasks typically include construction and demolition tasks under combat conditions."

I`d be sold on just doing some orders like you`re proposing, but denying that launching rocks or combat is not a part of SE, well.

There are a lot of ways SE could have branched out and specialized in a single area, but right now, we`re severely lacking in all of them.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Xelo Trainee Engineer

Exactly something like this I had in mind.

"Prepare a planet for terraforming"

To be more precise:
    "Prepare Tantulus 3c for terraforming. Establish 4 locations which are at least 90 km away of each other. Provide a stable energy availability of at least 50 MW each using solar panels and batteries. Connect them all with a stable laser antenna network, so a communication grid between all terraforming stations is established. Build relays on mountain tops if necassary. At least one terraforming station needs a docking possibility for a 50x10x10 block sized large grid ship. Ensure there the availabiltiy of a starting amount of at least 5 full hydrogentanks.
    Attached is a blueprint for one of these terraforming stations and another blueprint for the docking port."

or:
    "Prepare a planet for colonization"

To be more precise:
    "Find one location near an ice lake to build a habitat for at least 100 settlers. Establish a stable energy support of at least 10 MW with either solar panels and batteries or reactors if plenty of uranium is available. Build 5 refineries and 2 assemblers. Find, prospect and mark near ore locations and find at least one for each type of ore, except platinum. Build at least 3 relay communication satellites in orbit above, so the settlers can always communicate with arriving ships in space, independently of planetary rotation. Connect satellites and colony with antennas or laser antennas.
    Attached is a blueprint for the colonist's habitat."

etc, etc....
    THIS would be fun, I think.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.