Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Strategic Castle Location

Discussion in 'General' started by calxllum, Jan 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

This is a good idea. It gives a limited amount of spawns because they are not "clones" like in SE. My problem would be: what happens when you log off would your AI defend the castle for you?

2. Erik_3E Trainee Engineer

they have said that if the player wants it enough they will put it in.
    Well if your putting your AI NPCs to siege then you can look for an entrance or if you have a friend he could do that..

3. Erik_3E Trainee Engineer

Yes the AI would defend the area you tell him to defend. It could work like it works when you are in creative in SE and is placing light armor blocks etc. but in ME you can do this but pick a defend block for the AI(witch will be invisible of course). You should also somehow be able to decide what AIs you want to defend what since you might have more than one castle/town.

4. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

Silly engineers, sure WHERE your castle is important, you don't want to be stuck in a bowl. But towers are structural suicide. They are hard to build and big targets for attackers to aim at. In addition, when the come down, they tend to crush whatever is around them, eg the rest of your castle.

I'm going to build a Star Fort myself, bastions all the way. Sure they may not be quite as beautiful as a castle bristling with tall towers, but it will withstand 100x more punishment.

5. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

Well your building more of a fort then a castle. I am thinking If I am going to build a castle I will eventually build an outer ring for defenses (the main wall) then have a highly defended courtyard surrounding the castle. I would also build a deep moat to stop the burrowing rats. but I will defiantly use the underground to my advantage when building my castle.

6. Wintersend Senior Engineer

On towers, you don't want tall spiraling fantasy things. You want low squat things on the outer wall. But for an inner wall, tall towers might be good so that archers on them have a range advantage allowing them to fire at attackers attacking the outer wall. Effectively increasing the forces you can deploy on any one point.

7. waterlimon Senior Engineer

The castle will be defended by your teammates who ARE online.

NPC cannot defend your castle, they are too stupid, this is a game where players can engineer whatever crazy things they want, the NPC AI is not smart enough to counter everything.

This is why PvP with the other player offline should NEVER happen. I dont think either party enjoys it. Defender loses everything while offline, attacker gets a victory against dumb AI (probably abusing some well known flaw in it), assuming there even is AI.

Some alternatives are players vs barbarians, team based pvp balanced to prevent easy wins by the stronger team, game mechanics to move fights from player castles more toward some outside objectives (resource deposits for example).
    The common thing is that these allow making the game so that players wont feel bad if something happens offline (either theyre not attacked, or like in team based pvp its not as personal since its a collaborative effort)

8. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

But in SE you can hide/move your base so you can't be found. On this you can't, so I am not sure how pvp/survival servers will work. Unless it is Players vs Barbarians or your part of the world is locked from editing unless you are on. having AI on to defend your castle while you are not on is better then nothing in my opinion.

9. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

MMmmm! Idea! So while your "offline" you/anyone in your faction can run up the white flag. Basically if the White flag is raised on your castle it cannot be interacted with / not attacked. Disables changes or something. And it could place a zone X distance around your castle where other factions cannot enter.

Once your faction members com back online they can tack down the flag and it's game on! Mind you, this white flag ALSO keep the owning faction from altering that castle as well. No setting up extra defenses in the "safe zone". So it must be your own faction member/members who disable the flag. This also open you up to spies! People who can join your faction trying to attempt to disable the white flag while everyone else is "asleep". This adds the need to vet your applicants and not just bolster your army with random joins.

*shrug* I'm not big into PvP so you guys run with it from here, but that's my idea ^_-

10. Zh3sh1re Trainee Engineer

Totally gonna go all Brennenburg Castle on this game

11. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I generally like it, but I think if enemies are already within a certain radius you shouldn't be able to raise your flag so that people can't just use it whenever they're losing a siege and wait until the other person gets bored and leaves. You also have the problem of everyone moving out on an attack and just raising the flag so they don't need to bother with defense while sieging another castle.

12. Chrono13 Apprentice Engineer

Could add some peramiters to it, such as the flag may not be used unless there is less then x# of that faction online, and/or maybe it's auto enabled when all players of that castle are offline. Also it could require a timer, it does not auto enable instantly, but 5min of no players of x faction online.

13. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Or even something simple like cannot be activated for 1 minute after taking damage, and if more than x# or x% of a faction is online cannot be enabled.

14. calxllum Apprentice Engineer

The white flag idea sounds good, I'd like to see that implemented.

15. RayvenQ Moderator

I'll be building mine in a swamp...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNaXdLWt17A

For those that don't get the reference.

16. calxllum Apprentice Engineer

I need to rewatch Monty Python...

17. Wintersend Senior Engineer

"Someday lad, all this will be yours"
    "Wha'? The curtains?"
    "No not the curains."
    "But I quite like the curtains."

Quoted from memory.

I also know the entire bit about castles sinking into the swamp. I'm convinced the fourth one stood up just because the other three provided a sufficient solid foundation for it so it was basically built on solid ground for all practical intents and purposes.

18. calxllum Apprentice Engineer

Can I be really honest? I only watched Monty Python and the Holy Grail and the first episode of Monty Python's Flying Circus. Really funny but I never got around to watching the rest of the flying circus.

19. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Well, I've only seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail and some of the skits like the ministry of silly walks and the cheese shop.

20. calxllum Apprentice Engineer

I want to try and launch a Trojan horse from a giant trebuchet/catapult in ME.

21. BB.JoeNado Trainee Engineer

The white flag thing could also make it so that you cant just leave your castle and have it be safe from attack.

22. calxllum Apprentice Engineer

Is there anything in the suggestions like this white flag idea, if not I'll put it up.

23. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Nothing like that yet. And can I throw in my two cents before you post?

I think that to avoid abuse with people just logging and turning their castle invulnerable and attacking with no fear of reprisal a few things need to be done.
    1) Can't be activated if the castle has taken damage in the last minute. I figure if an enemy can't reload and fire in this time, it honestly would just be cheap for them to even have the possibility of victory because they are so drastically under-armed.
    2) Can't be activated if there are enemies within 100m of the castle. This way if enemies are charging in the gates, you have to fend them off before turning invulnerable.
    3)Can't build onto the castle while activated, so it essentially makes it unalterable while the flag is raised.
    4)Can't be activated and automatically deactivates if more than x number of players or xx% of players in a faction are online, whichever is smaller min: 2 so the last player can activate it no matter how small the faction. So maybe like 10 players or 50% because that should be a large enough percentage/ number that they can adequately defend based on how many they could have maximum.

I think with these four points it would stop a lot of the potential abuse of the system. Not all mind you, but unless a faction is really careful in working around #4 there I can't see any immediately apparent exploits of the system.

24. cptsteel Trainee Engineer

I really don't like the flag idea for 2 reasons.
    Imagine that the enemy castle is a considerable distance away so you march your army there to find a white flag so you just wasted a lot of food and time getting there to turn around.
    The other reason there no telling how long someone will not be playing the game for seems to me like I should not have to wait for an enemy do decide when to be annihilated. Id rather just attack when I am ready.
    If you want to be protected from players 24 hours you need several teammates who log on at different hours a bit unfeasible.
    My idea would rather revolve around good AI who can detect incoming enemy armies with a line of sight system. Then take measures that you have already planed or ordered to do in case of invasion. Example one of your scouts or lookouts sees an advancing enemy force of 10 soldiers that unit then tries to signal or message your barracks of the threat. Also a bell could be rung to signal ai villagers flee inside the castle for protection. One possibility could be if number of enemies is = to or > than 10 all villagers soldiers take defensive positions inside the castle and close the castle gate. If not a dispatch of knights on horseback is sent to seek and destroy the invaders. That way you being online or not your castle knows what to do if invaded. This also allows you to go out on campaigns yourself and knowing that your kingdom is under a degree of protection.
    I would also like to point out this topic should be started in another tread.

25. Wintersend Senior Engineer

IT was under suggestions already.

26. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

With the new structural integrity video released, do you think people will build the most structural sound shapes of castles or go for a more unique look?

What I was thinking about in my walls was to create circles with the arches something like this:

[​IMG]

It would be then covered in a layer of brick of the outside. This should be strong but also could be turned into a unique design.

27. Yossarian Trainee Engineer

on the top of the biggest mountain i can find

why?
    in the early stages of the game we will only have creative so i dont need resourcess and can bild as i like
    so i focus on building a hard to reach castle wich cant be sieged without huge logistical efforts and than focus on ways how to build good logistics for myself (like a windpowerd cablecarconnection to the valley or other totally freaky stuff (handcartpult everyone?))

28. Trion3 Trainee Engineer

i see a problem with this wall it might work wwll against siege weapons but i think people will get in no problem

29. Clyde A Glide Trainee Engineer

There would be stone covering each side of this wall

30. Textor Junior Engineer

Side of a mountain. I'm going to go full boatmurdered with my design.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.