Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Style Pack DLC

Discussion in 'General' started by Spaceman Spiff, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Pass.

(EDIT: I'll pay $5.99 for more substance.)

Last edited: Jun 6, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. BitsNoKibbles Trainee Engineer

For reelz. I grimaced when I paid for the "decorative pack," and it had some decent blocks. This "style pack" has no substance, and I can only imagine they're testing to see how many suckers will bite.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Eh I took the bite. With the amount of hours I have in game the DLC really paid for itself. Breaks down to less than $0.03 an hour of the total amont of money I have put into the game. Plus I figure Devs need to eat and pay some bills, so I tossed em a few bucks. :)

I know the game is not perfect but hey it has held my interest far longer than any other game. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. jozsefsz Apprentice Engineer

I completely agree. The Deco Pack was an insta-buy. 10+ blocks for some 4$ worths it. Now we got 2 player skins, 2 block skins and animations nobody uses other than video makers for 6$... I WANT to support Keen, but not for nothing. Geometry is content, flat textures are not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. DragonShadow Apprentice Engineer

Ah, 2D games have no content I see. :p

I got the new Style Pack. Between the two DLCs and what I paid for the base game, I've gotten about 40x the hours of fun for less than half the price of a AAA game. I feel happy with that, lol.

6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

I'll buy it on discount one day. I would pay the full price for 10 different armor textures but not just a few and some "animations".

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

I see it semilar .. i have , at basic, no problem to support keen further ....
    But for an survival gamer, to many long standing bugs with planets and gravity ar still unfixed or not fully fixed ...
    Have startet from scratch with an new server and many new maked/Updates mods 1 month ago ... only to see that the old bugs still here... and my faith again falling...
    SE is still way more "Asteroid" (ZeroG) Engineer as an game to play bugfree on planets ... and so i have no desire to pay actuell more for SE ...

8. Malware Master Engineer

I agree, but what are they gonna do? When they added blocks they got yelled at louder.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. JamesAM Trainee Engineer

I totally get why you guys don't want to buy it, that's cool. But the thing is if you don't buy it, you aren't locked out of core game mechanic affecting content like the previous pack. You buy it because you want to or you don't and you aren't negatively affected because it is superficial cosmetics. That's what makes this good DLC. Some of you are saying 'this is wrong' but really what you are saying is 'I don't want to buy this' and that is fine.
    Price could be a little more reasonable though.

10. KissSh0t Master Engineer

This is what I fear is going to happen to SE.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. JamesAM Trainee Engineer

Yeah, that's fair. I don't like that they are doing DLC either. But at least this time whether you decide to buy it or not you aren't penalised for having not done so.

12. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Adding armor textures is cool, the rest of the pack is junk. How about adding a pack like "Military Armor styles" with say 5 different Military themed armor textures for 2 bucks. Definitely much better than this.

This DLC adds less value than most decent mods. And they are free.

13. Malware Master Engineer

@SirConnery As I said, I agree. But they don't have resources to do all that much on the outside. They're still doing a lot of free stuff and that's their main workload after all. And what they're trying to fund with this.

"is junk" well that's a subjective opinion. I happen to not care one iota about any but the clean armor skin, and I never cared about the engineer skins - but I know others do.

"adds less value than most decent mods" well yeah... They're kinda hard to compete against, given that 1. they are free and 2. they have all the time in the world to do what they want, as opposed to an employee :p However there's a fair few who won't use mods. I was very happy about the last DLC myself as that's the only way I would get decorative blocks. I don't use modded blocks.

14. doncdxx Apprentice Engineer

I'm going to buy it. I'm not really thrilled about what's in it, but I really like Keen and want to continue supporting them. I haven't used anything in the last DLC but at least with this one I'll probably use some of those alternate hull textures ...maybe.
    *sigh*

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Decoration blocks was decent enough for DLC, I bought it too. This on the other hand feels more like a cheap cash grab to me.

16. chrisb Senior Engineer

I haven't bought this latest pack, not really played the game for quite a while. But I did go into see what the 'clean your ship' thing did, thought that was a nice new feature. :/
    With the more advanced angle blocks, I call them advanced, most players will know which I mean, the type you need two to make the angle. Anyway I went in and cleaned one of my ships and those angle blocks disappeared from the inside of the ship, so I went outside, they were visible outside but the pattern textures were all messed up, so yet another bug it seems (no I'm not reporting it, seems to make little difference nowadays).

Overall I'm glad I put the game down a little time back, after thousands of hours in. I can see they are not going to be making SE2, but instead, going to suck the current game dry, without really fixing major stuff. They do however, keep producing new bugs.

Plus putting it on xbox, I hope for their sake that it is bug free, players on consoles can be really hostile, which is good for them, really. They perhaps expect better than pc players nowadays. We (me included) seem to put up with developers being incompetent and misleading too, its always been the case with pc. But it seems its getting worse and some devs just take advantage of that.. :( I suppose its our own fault really, for putting trust in people that don't really care.

Look out xbox players, your in for a treat.. Its a very good game, with lots of long lasting bugs.

17. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

That was quite the negative post. The game is honestly quite amazing and it's a wonder it works as well as it does. Still I see your point. There are lots of small improvements that would improve the game experience a lot.

18. Malware Master Engineer

It feels like a cheap cash grab because It is a cheap cash grab. But it's an honest one. They aren't being sneaky about it. They're speaking out quite loudly that the purpose of these items is to allow people who want to support further development of SE to do so :D - both on the release post and the accompanying stream.

• Like Like x 1
  19. bleakhead Trainee Engineer

This Update brings cool new stuff. the coolest things are for free and they are not honoured by all... why? you get a Mod for free as a main part in the game... what is the problem?

The blocks, skins and animations are looking quite good but they are not functional. What is the main problem with this? I totally can not understand the opinion of the less salt in here. Sure it costs money but these packs are for the SUPPORT. Support is not for free, because nearly everything costs money. The free updates cost keen money but we get it still for free...
    --- Automerge ---
    Many users, not all, of the community said, that DLCs can cost a bit more. I pay 23€ for a DLC in Arma 3 weapon/ tank/jet/carts, so I can buy easily a DLC of 5€ of SE. Many others are sharing this opinion. And if anyone does not want to buy this, then do not buy it ^^ easy conflict solving

20. Krougal Senior Engineer

Other than the fact that I think we should have gotten the camo pattern for free as well (I was one of the few people who actually liked the camo pattern when it was the heavy armor default...and yes I realize the digital camo is a new texture) I could care less about this DLC, so I don't care that it's overpriced crap (although I guess compared to the bullshit Frontier does for Elite Dangerous, it's a fucking bargain). I'm against DLC in general, although I did buy the deco pack (mostly for the cockpit). Yes there are modded cockpits, in fact it's almost a ripoff of the rover cockpit, but I'm expecting that if a future update breaks the cockpit that KSH will keep it up to date (unlike the official mods they've released and never updated).

I'm happy we got the clean texture (at least they were smart enough to realize we'd have all had the torches and pitchforks out if they hadn't).

My question though is now if someone textures a ship with one of the DLC textures are we not going to be able to use the BP unless we own the DLC or will it default to plain?

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, I just tested it with somebody else's blueprint; the camo texture reverts back to plain armor texture.

22. Krougal Senior Engineer

Well that's good. Thanks for checking.

23. R-TEAM Junior Engineer

To clarify - i can full understand if one happy with SE in the actual state, if he bought the DLCs , strongly to support Keen additionaly ...
    But i have bought SE "after" the Planet relase, as i (and my gaming group) have no interesst an "only" "asteroid engineer" ... an it shows the planet game mechanic is the unloved child in SE ... and on the bug report forum the most votes going again in the PvP asteroid-action direction ... so for me the future of SE as game where i play is unsure ... why should i drow money in an project thats going in nearly the opposite direction as i would it see ... (fixing the bugs on planets / in gravity environment )

24. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@R-TEAM those who played before planets could have the same argument. The game went in the total opposite direction of what was seen at the time... :)
    At least it is set up for those who would like to continue support to do so, those who don't want to show support still get the main benefit of the update.

So really is a win for all players.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I won.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  26. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

No, I won!

This was DLC I decided not to buy. There is nothing in it that I find compelling. I can see that other people will and I get it. The beauty of paid DLC is that as long as it's not necessary for playing the game, you can express your disapproval by keeping your money in your pocket. I also believe that at some point I might want the character animations (now called emotes, I guess). Should that time arrive I will buy it. In the meantime I will use actual carbon fiber blocks, not for the texture but because they are light yet strong and therefore more suitable for some situations. For me it has to be more than just looks ;)

It seems pretty clear to me that we are not all expected to want every DLC. There have only been two but each one targeted a specific segment of the community.

I appreciate the new features even though they don't affect my play style at the moment. I'll be glad it happened once I transition to "survival" mode. I am probably the only person playing SE that may never use the "clean" armor texture, and it was "free".

Even though I didn't buy this DLC I'm still glad it happened.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Disagree with me, will ya!?! Pshaw! I still won.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  28. Spets Master Engineer

TBH, I was a disappointed when I realized that there was only 2 suit skins and the Fiber and Nextgen was separated ones
    I mean, I want to support Keen, but... this was kinda... no no :words:

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. mleise Trainee Engineer

Wont buy the Style Pack right now. When I bought SE, the first DLC was already out and so I bought it together with the main game for a low price. And even though I'm not using the decorative blocks often, they felt like a well thought out set that found many uses in community creations.

Then a company spokesman said that the main game sold well and the company is on solid footing, and that the DLC is allowing them to become more adventurous in their planned features. From there I gathered, that they'd eventually follow up with another well though out set of "cosmetic" content at some point in the distant future.

The Style Pack came too early, with too much of a mix of unrelated things to justify the 50% higher price in my opinion. The DLC took longer to develop, but the added value is not apparent to the consumer and if - as a player - all you wanted was to get the old camouflage texture back, you kinda feel like it should have been added back free of extra charge and then the whole DLC distills into a highly priced carbon fiber texture.

I see why marketing would want to give everyone at least one reason to pick up the new DLC, but you might have just ended up with too little added value for most players instead. Top reasons to buy are now support for KeenSW, "that one texture I wanted back" and a neurotic urge to collect them all, I suppose. For the future I'd like to see more narrow DLCs that cater to specific use cases and basics moved to the main game instead:
    • have basic pointing gestures as part of the main game, and the all the complex animations as part of a DLC
    • have two visually distinct armor textures as part of the main game, and a whole set of new textures (i.e. little cones, scales, hex tiles, carbon fiber, ...) as a DLC, because right now it feels like the entire feature is behind a paywall
    • corporate identity skins with ranks maybe?

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. Timuroslav Apprentice Engineer

Seems like more than a fair share of content for 6 dollars.
    Heaven forbid you don't see that one movie that came out for that 15 + dollar ticket price and $ 4 popcorn.

No pay to win blocks. No progression halting pay walling. Purely cosmetic Pretty dang cheap transaction.

BRB gotta twerk above my Rover in the game I've played over 3,000 hours.
    But hey go enjoy your 15 dollar movie you feel meh about. It's like 2 hours long I guess.

To each their own.