Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Suggestion] Bigger Windmill (More powerful)

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Thales M., Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thales M. Senior Engineer

I made a 2 sawmill and 2 gristmill system but windmill hadn't enough power to run it.

Bigger windmill should have traditional 4 arm i think:
    [​IMG]

2. TheBoot Apprentice Engineer

Interesting. I certainly agree that the current windmill lacks power. Either that or there's too much friction in the system. I would hope that the various shaft connectors add only a slight amount of friction and that most of it would come from the connected tools, and then only when under load. I have a windmill that has a sawmill and gristmill attached. With all the blocks built the system doesn't turn at all. It consists of a horizontal-down that the blades are connected to, two vertical shafts, a vertical to 2-sided horizontal split that the saw mill is attached to and a horizontal-down to which the gristmill is attached. Under no load, it won't turn at all. I had to remove a block to get it to turn. Not very fun.
    Hopefully the mechanical systems get some tuning. While I'm here, I think a good addition would be adding some sort of clutch mechanism to the split block where say, a vertical shaft is converted to two horizonal ones. The clutch would connect one or the other horizontal shafts at a time.

3. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Maybe your windmill is too close to the ground. If you build it taller it will be more powerful.

4. Thales M. Senior Engineer

Oh, i didn't know it. :eek:

5. TheBoot Apprentice Engineer

I built mine taller... still not enough power. The taller you make it, the more friction you add to the system so I don't buy that.

6. torgo Apprentice Engineer

I end up making a double windmill, with the blades on opposite ends of a horizontal down joint. I get enough power for 3 end units at the base.

7. TheBoot Apprentice Engineer

I was wondering if that would work. Perhaps add another size of blade assembly? Small and large.

8. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

Honestly, I want more windmill-powered devices before we get anything else windmill-related. Rope drums, bellows furnaces, that sort of thing.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. Duke Anax Trainee Engineer

I immediately thought that style of windmill blade we have looked a bit odd. I have never seen the like. Especially considering the windmill blade in the inventory looks like those on the big four bladed ones.

10. Merandix Junior Engineer

This style of windmill uses Jib-sails. Which are mostly found near the Mediterranean. I find it an odd choice for the game. Common-sails would have been more appropriate (the four-bladed one).

Especially weird considering the lead dev is a Dutchy, who shouldn't know other windmills than the traditional four bladed common-sails :p

Note, Jib-sails aren't older than common-sails. Just different.

I recommend also implementing common-sails with a ladder design. Modular would be fun. ;)

See also this page.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ghostickles Senior Engineer

Guys, if a mill does grain it did not also do timber.
    Stop trying to cram all the machinery in one windmill.
    SMH.
    :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. traxx21 Trainee Engineer

TBH ive tried making a single drive multiple windmill and it still only runs 2 mills, 3 windmills connected worked, but 4 seemed to make the whole thing stop.

Anyway, my main gripe is that you cant attach regular blocks to the ends of the joints.

IE, I cant have a windmill transmit power along a line and then put catchblocks on that i can attach say anything to!. I'd like to attach some blocks to make gears, and then rope wheels with ropes to make engagement gears, so I can turn my harvesters on or off.

ATM I cannot find a way to attach normal blocks to the ends of the mechanical joints etc which would be lovely!

ATM all the mechanical joints are good for is to run a sawmill and grinder.........???

(Id love to make a windmill powered cart etc but you cant!)

I'd like to have the old rotor back please!!!

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.