Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Suggestion/Discussion: Buy-able only items?

Discussion in 'General' started by Spets, Jul 14, 2019 at 07:43.

1. Spets Master Engineer

I feel like the Store is going to get old pretty soon for some reason. Like, why would I buy stuff if I can make/get it myself? (Edit: this is just me, I guess some people will find buying ships and items very handy.
    So, why not adding items that can only be obtained in the Store?

Examples, ideas:
    Special Hand Grinder (or whatever name): it will be like a normal Grinder but it will not destroy items when you grind a container, also it will not destroy the Power Cells.
    High End Hand Drill: Detection Range 100 meters or more, Auto Ore Collection, faster drilling, etc.
    Rare materials, ore: Platinum, Uranium for example. coz I don't think they will add more... like Aluminum, Titanium, Copper, etc common space engineering materials that SE doesn't have...

Also, should be weapons and ammo only buy-able items too?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019 at 07:51
    • Like Like x 1
    • Late Late x 1
  2. Malware Master Engineer

Hmmm. Jump drive and gravity components comes to mind. Maybe also reactor components.

The "not destroy power cells" thing needs a completely different solution. They destroy the cells for a reason, if they're gonna let you salvage them anyway they might as well just not destroy them in the first place.

I still say the power cells should actually store the power, so you can remove them but you don't get any free power.

3. Spets Master Engineer

Agree with that too. I didn't want them for the free power, just the components.

4. Calaban Junior Engineer

You buy stuff for the "7-11 convenience store" availability. Sure we could make it ourselves, but we could just pay $$ for having the convenience to get it now.

With the list of things that can currently only be bought:
    Power kits -suit backpack recharges
    Medical pack -suit backpack heals
    Zone Credit -power a shield-not-shield for an hour

It seems like other exclusive items would be easily added to this already implemented mechanism. OR even better- extended out in Mods...

5. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

Malware, you're a programmer, right? Are you sure you would like power cells to store energy in Space Engineers? All these additional indexes and errors in the world file. Clang would be happy :D A better solution would be empty power cells instead of scrap, which could be recharged in a assembler or survival kit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Morloc Apprentice Engineer

I've never understood why it wasn't already done this way.

-Morloc

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Calaban Junior Engineer

Players intent on finding exploits could exploit it, is why.

and while i would greatly enjoy a SpiffingBrit video on how "Space Engineers is a perfectly balanced game with no exploits"... I dont think KSH would appreciate the publicity

8. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

They already do now, there are at least 2 mods on the workshop ( probably more) that let you keep your power cells. :)

9. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

What if you could buy DLC with Space Credits? Not all DLC, but the kind of things that some people want that others... might not appreciate, but definitely does not alter the balance of the game.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Calaban Junior Engineer

There is large potential in buyable only items. In a world of abundance of all things (in that we can make the things to make everything), indeed money has no real point other than buy-able convenience- so "things you cant make yourself" are going to be irresistible.

Maybe they have plans for many great things not seen in this first public test, or maybe they are a bit burned out and need some think-tank inspiration.

So here is my list.

- "Military grade Jumpdrive" Jump takes 5 seconds, instead of 10, and of course needs 200% the power.
    - Military grade large reactor. (Military items can only be purchased and spawned in safe zone and have to be manually fitted)
    - "cut and paste" credit- consumable to cut and paste a targeted grid you own to de-Clangify it.
    - "teleport booth" old school respawn selection ability consumable
    - Salvage station purchases
    - PCU credits.
    - Jet bike personal atmo flyers
    - Sabiroid capture cages
    - "Sector maps" giving rough representation of faction stations in space or on worlds over a region.
    - deployable old Cyberhound deployment crate

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 03:53
  11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

And for wolves, too! And the ability to poke sticks at them!!!

12. Calaban Junior Engineer

or sell them as part of contracts... or dump them near a neighbors' base...

13. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

I'd buy the stick-poking animation.

They call them emotes now, don't they...

14. Lord Grey Apprentice Engineer

In a world of abundance resources, it's the plans that get extremely important. How to manufacture things, cool designs, Artist's work to say so. Sure, you can manufacture a simple chair, but a little bit more knowloedge leads to a confortable, cool looking chair. That's now from the SciFi point of view. In SE that's only marginally applicable. Maybe the progression doesn't unlock all plans, some must be bought. Jump drives as an example. Maybe more efficient ion drives.

Maybe privateer license, so you can hunt down a faction without reputation loos or indulgences to get the reputation to neutral again. Maybe "Health insurances" so that you can spawn at a station if you lost your last own spawn point and buy a new ship to start again, without loose of all you still have. Or some medical supplies for the survival kit and Med Bay that are used to respawn?

NPC to man your ships? Would be a little bit much work to implement, I guess, but cool.

• Like Like x 2
  15. Malware Master Engineer

Yes, I would. It wouldn't really be a new feature either. See oxygen/hydrogen bottles.

It also depends on implementation. The cells don't really need to have a value until they're removed from the battery. This is quite solvable.

• Like Like x 1
  16. cataractus Apprentice Engineer

Gas bottles are a little different. After all, they are tools like a rifle or a grinder. And most of all, they don't stack up. Adding a charge level to the power cells would require a table to describe the amount of power cells in inventory and the charge level of each power cell. Is the game ready for this? How would it handle such a change in the save file? Also, how do you check the power cells stack charge level in the current interface? How to choose, for example, only 50% charged or discharged power cells in the current interface?
    I wish the power cells had their own percentage of charge. However, I realize that such a change may be related to the reconstruction of too many elements of the game. Adding an empty power cell is a simple procedure (there's a mod for it! but I like it vanilla ;) ) that won't disturb the current balance.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019 at 23:54
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Malware Master Engineer

@cataractus No, you're right. At least about the most important thing you're arguing - how they will be represented in the inventory screen. The cells don't need to store the actual charge value though. That is an unnecessary detail. There could simply be 0%, 50%, 100% variants. Or even your suggestion of just 0 and 100%. They just need to seemingly store charge. Losing the charge of a single cell is no big deal. This argument has been made before, and I agreed back then too, I don't know why I suddenly needed to argue against it this time. The Internet bug bit me, I guess. Sorry. Or me trying to respond to technical arguments way, way too late in the evening :p

Implementation wise though, ignoring that particular problem, they really could be exactly like bottles. They're not as different as you seem to think, so the technology is already there for that. But this wouldn't work in the inventory screen.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. domingo Trainee Engineer

Some high-tech gadgets are OK, but must be carefully balanced in multiplayer so it won't change to hunt for the biggest stick ...

And then maybe some bit unbalanced but available only in singleplayer ?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Reflexus Apprentice Engineer

High tech gadgets would be very cool if buy only.

However there could be some specials materials/parts which could be used to produce let's say more powerful thrusters. For example a tier 2 thruster, which is 30 more powerful than it's original counterpart.

20. Calaban Junior Engineer

I would even be ok if progression was buyable only.. Similar to Escape From Mars mod- you wont get to place atmospheric thrusters unless you A) buy the block blueprint, or B) grind to learn

21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I wish grind-to-learn worked again. I really like that mod.