Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Suggestion] Fallow

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by Thales M., Oct 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Thales M. Senior Engineer

After the harvest, the soil should become Fallow ground for a period of time. In this period, plowing becomes impossible for that land (similar to deep forest soil). When Fallow period is over, soil becomes avaliable for plowing again.

Feature Advantages:
    - Farming becomes less repetitive action.
    - Increase the need for larger farmlands.
    - Varied farmlands for different crops; because farmer can no longer harvest wheat after flax, pumpkin after cabbage..etc in short amount of time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

Crop Rotation intensifies.
    [​IMG]

maybe if medieval engineers begins to focus on farming...heh farm-engineering.
    we'd have to learn about proper crop rotation to prefer the formation of Fallow land.
    then learn about methods to fertilize lands with the produce grown to keep production gud.

"peasant coming through"
    dark souls peasant intensifies

edit: just want to stress I say maybe as in im saying its cool but by all means im not saying nor do i have the power to say this is how they should do it. O.o

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nibs_1983 Trainee Engineer

For true Medieval farming a field wasn't left Fallow after a years farming. Below is an example found on the internet which lists a 3 field, 3 year crop rotation from Medieval times.

Field 1 Field 2 Field 3
    Year one Fall: Wheat and Rye Spring: Oats, Barley, Fallow
    Peas, Beans and Lentils

Year Two Fallow Fall: Wheat and Rye Spring: Oats, Barley,
    Peas, Beans and Lentils

Year Three Spring: Oats, Barley, Fallow Fall: Wheat and Rye
    Peas, Beans and Lentils

Oats and Barley were mostly grown to feed horses whilst all others were for humans.

Perhaps it shouldn't stop you planting on it but perhaps it could either lower the fertility of the soil (if this is possible) or perhaps there could be a series of quests to help instil this way of thinking for the player. Of course with the above example this then raises the question of is there a decent quantity of food variants in game?
    --- Automerge ---
    Sometimes I wish the ratings buttons were editable. I like the way CanOmer is thinking and agree that it would be cool to introduce more realism by adding this but then I think the idea needs tweaking slightly (see post above)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.