Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Suggestion] Shared Memory Block

Discussion in 'Programming Questions and Suggestions' started by aRottenKomquat, Feb 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. aRottenKomquat Apprentice Engineer

Suggestion:

A Shared Memory Block is a new block type which is simply an array of data. Any Programmable Block on the grid can connect to it using normal GridTerminalSystem functions, and it has functions to read/write from specific memory locations.

This is a very low-level type of memory system but could be fun, and astute developers could easily use a few memory locations to implement a stack or heap. Then various Programmable Blocks on the grid can use it for inter-process communication or long-term variable storage.

2. Blako Apprentice Engineer

If a program could output to a text panel would that fill your need?

3. happyjack27 Apprentice Engineer

speaking only for myself here, but i think i/o (both reading and writting) to any shared data store would suffice, albiet some data structures would have less overhead than others. (read: having to serialize / deserialize the entire store each time just to read or write one value would be less than optimal) though programmatically reading/writting to a text panel -- or chat -- would be useful in itself.

as an alternative, people have also suggested being able to call functions / reference classes on other programming blocks. maybe having a mainframe block. this functionality would be a shared memory block and more - well, provided things on it can be defined as static so that each call doesn't just create its own instance of everything.

4. TitonX1 Trainee Engineer

I like the ideaof such a block.
    I/Ocan be implemented as adictionary

5. Immersive Apprentice Engineer

I think text panel should suffice, although I'd also like to see Keen an some JSON.NET support.

You will still have to think about record/file locking mechanisms, but that could be pretty trivial if you just use an OffOn state.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.