Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

[Suggstion] Allow servers to whitelist and blacklist functionality.

Discussion in 'Programming Questions and Suggestions' started by Bored, Jan 8, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Bored Trainee Engineer

Hey, so I've been thinking a lot about the future of in game scripting and I think a good idea is to sometime in the future allow the server/host control to whitelist and blacklist functionality for a game. This would allow for servers to self police exploits as well as to give those with different opinions about how much the in game scripts should be able to do the ability to control that. Hell you could even go so far as to allow games to whitelist MyApiGateway if they really wanted to to allow on the fly in game modding.

This thought mostly came from my own desire to not allow use of position data forcing players to utilize beacon/antenna drones for positioning. This could lead to some cool positioning systems which rely on information from multiple static points, but it would also allow for those points to be attacked.
    That however is just one example. And it's the kind of thing I'm sure many would want and many would also despise. You already have a split between servers with GPS mods versus servers with XYZ beacons and this sort of idea seems like a natural split of it. But it has other uses as well such as disabling convert to ship access or other functionality which allow for easy malware, or really just anything which a server finds is against their style of play, or adding stuff in which they want access to.
    What do you guys think? Would you like to see this in the future? Would you like it to go as far as allowing the full modding api in game? What uses could you see for it? What sort of things would you enable/disable?

2. Spartan322 Apprentice Engineer

Now, not that it is a bad idea (I like the concept) but this would require a lot effort for both the ksh and for the operator unless you could find a way to simplify it (and I bet they refuse to use reflection, I know I would)

3. Saladin Trainee Engineer

That would be a great idea as some things that can be scripted that would actually make them use scripting more/or less depending on the abilitys of the servers as they have a complex sorting system run by a not so well built/designed script would lag out the system...

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.