Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Suit "inertia" for free-floating ships

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by kuro11, Oct 25, 2013.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

So one small issue I noticed is that if you get a large ship up to speed, turn off all generators, and hop out you are thrown to the wall. This wouldn't happen for the same reason your ship doesn't slow down - no outside force acting on it and you (as a character) were traveling at the same velocity so you should be "flying" through space at the same pace.

So if you are flying, lose power, then get out to "fix" it then you should be able to navigate around the ship using normal suit thrusters despite it traveling at, say, 40 m/s

Another situation: You're traveling on a small ship at 100 m/s and notice a small asteroid knocked a thuster loose. Instead of slowing down you hop out and grab it (before it floats too far away) and attach it again. Assuming the ship was traveling in a straight line and you got out you and the ship would be going at 100 m/s without any change in velocity. Your little suit thrusters wouldn't need to do exactly the same amount of work to travel a few meters in that situation if you were stationary.

A suggestion for possible implementation:
    Remove the suit thruster speed limit but give it a "overheat" so getting really fast would take a long time and disable the immediate "slowdown" but add a "stop" button. So if I impulse forward for 1 second to reach 1 m/s and let go of forward, I continue going that speed until I do another action.

2. renegadejibjib Trainee Engineer

Yes, absolutely. I would hope that this is how they eventually intended for things to be, but if not, this needs to happen.

3. JerikTelorian Trainee Engineer

I think the problem with this is that you also turned off the artificial gravity by turning off all the reactors. I believe that if you leave the gravity on, you move with the generator.

4. Ralith Trainee Engineer

100% yes. This should be fixed ASAP.

It shouldn't matter. He's inside the cockpit going at full speed along with it; getting out shouldn't magically delete all his momentum.

5. Nivve Apprentice Engineer

Is the gravity actually turned off when turning down reactors?
    I was walking down my ship in normal gravity this morning after turning off the reactors.. I am not sure whether I was too close to the hangar though, so I could be walking with that gravity :rolleyes:

I agree with the OP though, you have everything with momentum and suddenly the player itself doesn't abide by the rules. Would be just weird to leave it like this (just like the thrusters/collision mechanics. One uses center of mass physics and the other doesn't...)
    At least keep it consistent, even when it's not realistic

6. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

At a minimum I'd like it configurable - though part of me doesn't want the to community split with tons of options, where some servers fiddle with such fundamental properties.

7. danzer Trainee Engineer

Or maybe you could select an object, and your jetpack would travel at the same relative velocity as the object, for a short while?
    Sort of exactly what you said on your thoughts of implementing it.

8. solver Trainee Engineer

Should not be a option setting. Options are good, but to much micro manegment in this game would make it harder to play on diffrent servers as you will have a hard time remembering what option is on or off on a server.

That said, i completly agree that it is a bit wierd that you go from 100 to 0 while exeting a ship in motion. The falling off things is also stupid. If i walk on a platform in space and step off it, i will not suddenly accelerate into a earthlike freefall away from the object. I would "fall" from it at the same speed and direction as i had when walking to the edge.

9. TechyBen Junior Engineer

If the jetpack did not auto turn on you would continue (I think the game does support momentum currently). I think the main problem is the jet pack is set to automatically break the players momentum to a stop. This is great for creative play, with stations etc. But poor for piloting and engineering on moving ships.

So, perhaps have jet packs only apply breaks if you tap a "break" button. Otherwise it would continue with additive velocity (still to the max 70m/s, so you need to slow the ship if you wish to travel up it).

The "toggle" would be in flight mode of the jet pack, similar to how we can turn of generators/engines/gyros right now, your jet pack would act similarly. In which case, it's getting some simple logic so it knows when to hit the breaks or when to leave it to the player do decide.

10. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Maybe a "set velocity button" such that the suit should treat your current velocity as "resting" and actions you take should be relative to that?

11. wigster600 Trainee Engineer

Or the jetpack just not auto turn on when you fall into an area with no gravity?

12. kuro11 Apprentice Engineer

Still, I need to move about my ship that may have been at speed when I lose power in some way. So while this would prevent me from "stopping" when I get out it doesn't allow me to move around and actually fix the reason I got out of my seat.

13. Thesla Trainee Engineer

Are you sure that your inertial dampeners are off?

14. Digi Senior Engineer

Might want to check the dates before replying to stuff, last post before yours was half a year ago.

15. Neouni Apprentice Engineer

well it still basically applies to the current version,
    try to board a cargo ship on a server you are not the host and try to not fly through all the walls and even get damage for flying through them

also if your not the one driving, everyone in your ship (even with gravity on) will rubberband around

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.