Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Super Size Planets

Discussion in 'General' started by chrisb, Nov 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. krypt-lynx Apprentice Engineer

NMS's planets can be very different: it can be some unrealistic thing with flying cubes, but also it can be... just a planet. We need only one system, not a whole galaxy :) I'm in Callisto galaxy, I seen many of them, boring and beautiful.

2. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

So I retested and now world is corrompt if I import the save of Dedicated server to the Saves folder of Space Engineers and I have the message of corrompted world. In the log if you where is the problem because :
    Code:
    2017-10-22 15:36:03.865 - Thread:  1 ->  Exception occured: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MyPirateAntennas.BeforeStart()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.BeforeStartComponents()
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySession.Load(String sessionPath, MyObjectBuilder_Checkpoint checkpoint, UInt64 checkpointSizeInBytes, Boolean saveLastStates)
      at Sandbox.Game.World.MySessionLoader.<>c__DisplayClass1d.<>c__DisplayClass1f.<LoadSingleplayerSession>b__1b()
      at Sandbox.Graphics.GUI.MyGuiScreenBase.RunLoadingAction()
      at Sandbox.Game.Gui.MyGuiScreenLoading.RunLoad()
    not said where is the problem exactly for what file and line.

PS : We can't add attachment ?

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Were you resizing the planet in a clean, empty world or one that has grids already in it? There may be something funky if pirate bases are spawning inside the planet. I would strip everything out of the code that isn't relevant to generation of the planet.

4. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

So I made the two method :
    - If I copy the world directly, is corrompt
    - If I add super size planet with edit SANDBOX_0_0_0.sbs and add vx2 files, planet disappeared
    Anyone have this problems ?

5. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm not sure what steps you're taking, but the idea is to generate a new planet using the cleaned up shell of a scenario. If the world has already been generated, you can't go back and alter it. Once the planet is generated, I've had success by opening two instances of SEToolbox and copying the planet from one instance to another through SEToolbox. If it's a CUSTOM (non-standard planet downloaded from the workshop) planet, then you have to be sure that the mod is referenced in both worlds and that you copy over MANUALLY (through Windows) and png files associated with the planet.

6. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

So I check I have all the mods require (all for workshop (Enitor, Oi,...)) for planets but I copy by hand the code and vx2 files so later if I have the time, I test with SEToolbox.

7. chrisb Senior Engineer

Little late, I know. But I tried this and it came out well. The performance does drop here and there. But overall not bad.
    Thanks again quarior14 for pointing it out.

Any idea how you can increase the atmosphere, because it looks like its trapped inside the planet ?

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  8. Spets Master Engineer

I only want larger planets only because they look epic...

Infinity Battlescape
    [​IMG]

Star Citizen

Elite Dangerous
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

So I not sure but maybe you can edit in SANDBOX_0_0_0.sbs :
    Code:
    <AtmosphereRadius>x</AtmosphereRadius> <!—>x the radius in meters by rapport to the center of the aster/planet</—>
    but I think doesn’t work because is linked to the vx2 files of the aster/planet so the only way is to use modding or edit with mod (replacement) vanilla planet for extend atmosphere.
    Also if you want realist, replace in SANDBOX_0_0_0.sbs :
    Code:
    <GravityFalloff>7</GravityFallof>
    to
    Code:
    <GravityFalloff>2</GravityFallof>
    but the game now don’t have a orbit mechanics.
    If your modding planet for set
    Code:
    <GravityFalloff>2</GravityFallof>
    by default when you spawn the planet, you can add this line in your planet definition (yes is strange) :
    Code:
    <GravityFalloffPower>2</GravityFallofPower>
    I hope helped you.

Also, what method do you use for import planet generate with the Dedicated Servor (the old version) to a world in Saves folder of SpaceEngineers ? You import asters/planet with SEToolbox ? (Because I not test for now.)

10. chrisb Senior Engineer

Thanks.

Regards how I use these in the game now.. Its just old saves I go back too. I don't really use anything above 1200km wide in SE, because they look pretty terrible when enlarged, but its nice to test and see.
    ____

I want planets that are large, but I want to be able to do things on them. At the moment we don't have a game like that, well with space a large part too. Maybe when 'Dual Universe' comes along.
    ED is a joke of a game, but Infinity Battlescape looks good (was early backer in that & ED), but they're really just shooters in space, Infinity will be a fun shooter, I backed for that reason. ED is o.k. as a shooter, however its a great shame, could have been soo much better. But they have moved onto dinosaurs now, so ED will wind-down I feel, no space legs etc..

11. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

So with SEToolbox, there are nothing when I open the world so I can't copy paste planets from save in DedicatedServer depot_244851 to a save of the lasted version of Space Engineers with SEToolbox so I don't know where is the problem so I put my world of DedicatedServer depot_244851 here.
    If is work for you, thank to put a link to the world save when you are loaded to the last version.
    Thanks in advance.

Edit : So is work, I just copy paste the world and change just this line in Sandbox.sbc :
    Code:
    <Scenario Type="MyObjectBuilder_ScenarioDefinition" Subtype="ErityaSystem" />
    to
    Code:
    <Scenario Type="MyObjectBuilder_ScenarioDefinition" Subtype="EmptyWorld" />
    Edit 2 : Link of the world on the workshop : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1187790608

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  12. chrisb Senior Engineer

Your 'here' link doesn't work.. ;)

I think the second part of your post works o.k. Changing the planet name to 'emptyworld' works. I put over a mars that way using setoolbox. Just thinking it may not work as well with vanilla planets but better with mod planets. Not sure. I think the mars was not the vanilla one, but a mod one.. (can't remember)

I can put a 1200km, 1800km, 4000km wide, or an actual earth size planet in. But 1200km seems to be the best. Better still with fewer hills etc, makes the planet look better from space. These are all from old saves. Not sure if you can do it from scratch now they have changed things.

13. quarior14 Trainee Engineer

Yes, I updated the world and the ID change (I don’t know why) so here the new link : http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1187790608
    And yes because texture are pixelated if the planet have too much (by error, I see this with a 12000 km diameter) but maybe in a future, we can without problems.

14. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

see and this is what annoys me keen sais they can't make bigger planets because problems but this seems perfectly fine and with almost no lagg

• Late Late x 1
  15. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Depending on the planet, you'll run into some problems. If your planet has some steep inclines (like tall mountains) it's possible that you will phase through portions of it.

16. KissSh0t Master Engineer

I can't help but think if we actually got bigger planets we would need faster speeds....

17. Levits Senior Engineer

not really faster speeds, but better/more means of getting around space.

Just do what Eve Online does and have the ship "jump" up to 4000m/s and phase through stuff. Gates, increased/upgraded jump drives, etc. <would also expand the playing field a bit as well.

Of course if the focus is multiplayer online, then the limited number of players (I don't know what the max number of players per server is) would make such a large world-map pointless. For single player though it gives you more room to play in with potentially more things to SEE and do.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
  18. chrisb Senior Engineer

So to revive this thread, if only for a short while. My interest in large planets in the game does not wane.

This is a 7200km wide Mars in the new update with Shadows and PP turned off. The new image of the planet further away is better than before (for me anyway).
    Not keen on the new skybox though.

19. Oskar1101 Apprentice Engineer

Looks like only atmosphere is rendered from the distance. You can see stars through "planet"

20. chrisb Senior Engineer

Yeah, the lower part of the planet is slightly transparent, which gives a 'sort of', nice effect. I'm not sure what happens to the planet, the further away, I think the game engine compensates somehow.

Edit.. That transition..

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.