Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Survival Mode Ship Trouble(New Player)

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by SouthernMountain, Apr 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SouthernMountain Trainee Engineer

I've only been playing for barely a week and I'm having a nightmare of a time with getting my ships off the ground.
    I played through the initial introduction scenarios.

I'm playing:
    Survival Mode
    Earth-like Planet (located in an entire Solar System)

I've already destroyed two previous ships out of frustration but as I'm now on my third with the exact same problem, I'm desperately asking for help.

I can build the ships fine, and even get them to take off. I can get them to a Connector where they charge up the batteries and I'm good to go. The first ship allowed me to take off(converted the pod to flyer). Had several issues getting it to allow me to disconnect. I gave up and grinded it down to parts out of frustration. The second ship I built with more thrusters in case it was to heavy(even though it was lighter in weight). Once I landed it empty after the maiden flight and before charging the battery, the landing gear engaged. I tried turning it off, with no change. I tried to Unlock/Lock it using "P", with no change. I destroyed the Rock Grinder(nothing in it, so nothing came out) and it allowed me flight. I had used so much energy trying to take flight, I built an additional battery. I took off, and connected it to the Connector. Couldn't get it to take off after that. I scrapped it, and built a 3rd atmospheric flyer(near identical to one I saw Splitsie's 'Ugly Duckling'). Flew it to the connector with no Landing Gear built or attached. Connected and started recharging the battery with no problems. Ensured the battery was fully charged. Disconnected with "P" and flew around. Added a missing directional thruster, and took off to go mining. Tunneled around for almost half an hour just excited to be digging holes so much bigger than hand mining. Picked up around 14k in Iron(Fe) and flew back. Reconnected to the Connector with "P" and it started unloading and funneling materials to the Refinery. Within seconds it was empty, so checked the recharge timer and within a minute I hopped back in and couldn't take off. Double checked "P", and the ship Collector went from Green to Yellow. Engaged the docking again, and it went from Yellow back to Green. Disengaged again, still no flight or control. Pressed "Y" cutting the power. No change on turning it back on. Checked the thrusters, and none are damaged. Flew around and nothing was damaged at all. I checked the base inventory and saw the Collector was chock full of minerals and materials I'm guessing it pulled up from the Storage block underneath the Connector that the Conveyor System is also connected to. No matter what I did, nothing would come out of the Base Connector. So I destroyed the Base Connector. Of course the ship performed a tiny crash onto the landing platform I'd built. Everything on the ship was then fully green. I still can't take off...

I've manually turned everything off and back on again with no result. Batteries are 99% full with only seconds necessary to charge. I have no Landing Gear to be an issue. Nothing is damaged.

What am I missing? What am I doing wrong? To use the word 'Frustrated' doesn't do my current feelings justice. I don't know what else to do. So please help me troubleshoot/educate me on what I need to do to resolve this.

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Calaban Junior Engineer

A player in the multiplayer server Keen NA #4 was describing this same issue last night.

We tried to help him, but- like here, there are just many many many reasons that this could be. So many complications, so many factors- both in build design and in control interfaces/ user operation.

I myself have never had this issue. But I would dearly like to "See it in inaction" for myself to be able to give a solid "its a glitch" or "oh, you had this that the other thing".

IF the problem persists after exiting the world and reloading, could you publish your world to steam, and link it here? that way when I get off work today I can load your world and see it misbehaving for myself.

[edit] after re-reading the steps you went though: here's a thought: Your connector and landing gear may be misaligned. misaligned as in when one of them unlocks with P, the other one Locks. P does a "switch lock" command to all connectors and all landing gears. You should see the green/yellow lights of the landing gear- when you have a green connector but a yellow landing gear- yeah- P wont really get you anywhere, because you landing gear locked at the same time.

This misalignment happens when you dig around in the Kontrol panel and start switching locks manually- its hard to keep them all agreeing on if they should all be locked or unlocked at a particular time

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

...Nice, @Calaban .I´ve done that same mistake many, many times! :woot: But SouthernM. seems to be no longer using both landing gear and connector, as for what I think I read.

@SouthernMountain , regarding to the "Y" shut down but not coming back issue, it has been happening to me A LOT since the latest upgrade. I´m pretty sure it is a REAL bug in the game, but I haven´t reported it yet because I intend to make other tests. But I had the same problem recently: if I connect using connectors and shut down ("Y"), there is no way to bring the vessel back on. I once also destroyed the connector, and then was able to turn ON the ship, but no response from the thrusters, even when they are ON. This rebel thrusters issue seems to be random, and can usually be "solved" by reloading the game.

If you could successfully fly your ship even after it was full of ores, there seems to be nothing wrong with your built itself.

Did it happen to you also after reloading?

Still, if you are in doubt regarding to your ship, I´d suggest to download some small ship from workshop, specially one of the "official" ones, and tear it down into pieces, to see how they´re done. Just like a kid does with their toys to see how it works. I´m relatively new here too, and that tip has helped me a lot.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
  4. SouthernMountain Trainee Engineer

@Calaban , The mis-match was the second ship. I eliminated the Landing Gear with no change. I then eliminated the Connector and replaced with Landing Gears, which also resulted in me ultimately scrapping the ship out of frustration and anger. On my 3rd ship(most recent one) I only entered the control panel to set up the ships conveyor/ejector systems. I didn't touch a thing(that I can recall) regarding the ship Connector(other than naming it the Ship Connector/Ship Battery, etc). I don't know how to publish the game, so I will research that and come back here to post it for you. It may very well be a simple oversight or as mentioned something I've done(which I identified with my second ship) that's impeding my game play.

@J-Cataclism , Yes, when they have flown, they fly well(to me at least). I don't know enough of the game to feel comfortable attempting mods when I'm already having difficulty with the base portion of the game. I've watched several hours of videos by Splitsie to already help me figure out some of the things I was doing wrong as I wanted to dive right into the Survival Mode. Once I felt I was banging my head against a wall, I'd go watch his videos to see "How it should be done" versus "My Process". I learned things, but building someone else's designs isn't something I've tried. I did freeze frame one of his videos at different points so I could see his "Ugly Duckly" small mining ship, which I build a Cockpit instead of a Passenger Seat.

From last night until today I've not reloaded it. I'll log in now and see if that's it or if more troubleshooting on my part may yield results. I'm not sure if I can though as this is my 3rd attempt and the only common denominator at this point is me.
    --- Automerge ---
    Update:

Upon logging in, my ship took flight... This has been enlightening as much as it has been frustrating. Now I'll have to consider relogging into my trouble shooting process that I spent on hours previously, but can at least add this to the list of things to try.

*sighs*

Thank you both for attempting to help me. I will still research how to publish so that if this or another problem comes up I can show what I'm up against.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Calaban Junior Engineer

Where you choose which game to load is where the publish button is

I have made the mistake of locking connector and turning off power out of habit, and having that shutting the whole base down ( GilligaaaAAAN!!) and with the connectors power off of course everything undocked and fell. Powering the offending ship back on right then and there seemed to work ok, only then going out to turn the base back on.

So perhaps having locked connectors both lose power, then restore power in same state.. causes a glitch

Last edited: Apr 2, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Roxette Senior Engineer

This is a known (old, recurring) bug that Keen have allegedly fixed (again) for the next update...

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

It's possible, although the going rate for guesses is three for a quarter right now, that you don't have enough gyroscopes. I've found the controls locked-up on my ships when there's not enough torque in the gyros to rotate the ship when it's at a standstill (either parked or hovering). Try wiggling the mouse when you're trying to take off - I've had to do that a lot lately - to see if it'll "break lose" from your stopping point. Or try adding more gyroscopes, then try taking off again.

My experience has been that people often underpower their ships so that their power meter is redlined and the thrusters are correspondingly not running at 100%, and then wonder why their ship doesn't fly, or that they do not have enough gyroscopes to rotate/move the ship. Heck, I'm guilty of that many times too many.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Calaban Junior Engineer

All we can do is guess... gimme dat world file, pls... I mean unless its an embarrassing mistake.

..because then I'd have to demand it.

9. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Allright, sir @SouthernMountain !
    In my rookie opinion, the recent videos from Splitsie are the BEST to learn, right on current version of the game.

And don´t you worry about downloading other players ships: one of the very first things the guys here in the forums taught me is that a MOD is different of a BLUEPRINT which is different of a SCRIPT.

In this case, you would download a BLUEPRINT and paste it in your gameplay, with no other intervene from it in ANY configuration of your game at all.
    Still, let´s fix these damn thrusters! :)

10. Namdoolb Apprentice Engineer

I don't know if the issue has been resolved (thread is a few days old, so possibly). But I do have input that may help, so:....

There is an attractive force between connectors that pulls them together. it's quite a strong force, and might well be stronger than the amount of lift your thrusters are putting out.
    Disconnecting from the connector disables that force, but only for a few seconds. If you don't get off the pad quickly enough, it's liable to turn back on & keep you in place.

To get round this you can turn off your connector after disconnecting; that might help you.

Also; it's good practice not to use the "P" key if you can help it. The best thing to do is assign the landing gear(s) and connector to buttons on your hotbar in the cockpit. That way you'll have much better control over what's locked & what isn't. Usually if I'm locked by connector I don't engage the landing gear (and vice-versa).

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.