1. This forum is obsolete and read-only. Feel free to contact us at support.keenswh.com

Survival tales "First Day in Corruption System"

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Calaban, May 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

They say Survival Isnt about surviving, or that it is too easy. Try the Corruption mod (Massive credit to its creator: @Meridius_IX) . For a day/afternoon. Tell us your story- trying to avoid spoilers on behavioral details. Here are a few of mine, by way of example:

So as you can see, survival is a bit tricky. So tell me your story! :)

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

3. Forcedminer

Forcedminer Senior Engineer

now that randomized mood sounds interesting as well as the pve mod sounds fascinating. :)
    wonder how hard it could be to create a bunch of variables to give a ship an AI feel. sunglasses while getting solar power, sleepy when low energy or uranium. sad with damaged parts. pained when taking damage.

reminds me of EDI you know

thanks to encouragement from @Spaceman Spiff I've gotten rather decent at capturing the default spawns usually just a matter of flying in a figure of 8 or doing a fly by faster than the turret can track you then getting to a point on the ship where the turrets can't get you and burrowing inside or destroying the turrets outside.
    usually the reward is far too great but these sound like annoying little space insects that can cause a lot of bother with a smaller reward.
    I like the sound of that because they're usually not as bad to assault with a rifle and jetpack.
    least it'll be quicker to scrape them right? :p

4. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

yep gooood luuuuuck! A lander start lets you get established in peace, but space is quite hostile.
    --- Automerge ---
    Wow that does sound like a great idea! all we would need is a buncha little AI faces to choose from, annnnd someone who knows how to do the whole "ImyThingy" stuff.

I have found that the "insects" are rather hard to salvage, because after you shoot the hell out of them to stop attacking, that usually means they are not transmitting anymore- and are now drifting away.

And good luck trying to grinder attack them- they are ray-trace lining up their gatlings/rockets onto your chest, directly. while it IS possible, wow do they wiggle around a lot trying to get at ya.

I have found -and joked in another discussion- that the mod should be called "Corrosion"- because the majority of my time is spent undoing the damage to critical systems on all my stuff between the attacks, and the attacks come often enough that I never get to actually fix everything- so it gets worse.. and worse. and oh my god RUN!!!.. then worse.... and before long all my stuff looks like a crumpled beer can... and is "scrap yard" fixed just enough to still operate. This part gives me a smile- because its an aspect of Space Engineering (just hammer and duct tape it enough to work) that I never explored before.

But a lot of my problems stem from my consideration of Shield mods as a crutch- and Easy button way to deal with this particular challenge.

5. Spaceman Spiff

6. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

Ya chose to dig in and be not mobile huh. Yikes! Good luck with that.

And good job with the grinder-fu... although I wonder why the warheads didnt detonate after detecting player...?

I guess we will sit around and wait for a tunneller to dig you out

Or eventual rocket impacts to expose your base

Or a tesla/ hacker drone to mess with your settings

Or.. I could go on. Let's just say- sleep well!

7. Spaceman Spiff

I found a bunch of warheads when I ground into that sucker...and I wonder the same thing...why didn't they explode?

Like a tick, I burrowed deep. Several of the attack drones had run out of rockets trying to get to me. And my response is...

[​IMG]

8. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

ticks.. ah.. dont really burrow, they more like sit on the skin and get bloated... maybe the occasional mind zombification on small children to keep them still while they feed.... not a good analogy.

Now a Bot Fly... oh! wait... WAIT!!!! do NOT- I emphasize do. not. google Bot Flies. Even then, its not a good analogy...

Maybe Gopher?

9. Spaceman Spiff

Botflies...oh, yeah. My name was Bot Fly when I played Counter Strike (you know, because of all the bot's names starting with BOT).

A screwworm, perhaps?
    --- Automerge ---
    That said, there really isn't any way to "win" against the swarm. They can only be swatted away, but they always come back, and usually in greater numbers.

10. Calaban

Calaban Junior Engineer

But yeah, its amazing how a simple emoticon feedback display can give a machine such character.

Like Gerty, in the movie The Moon (I highly recommend it to those who've never seen it yet, but plays Space Engineers, and is oddly creeped out by the notion of medbay respawning)

The boxy Gerty doesnt seem like it has a heart, or a conscience at first glance, and without the emoti-face display it would seem cold and heartless. But watch this clip and tell me you dont feel something genuine from that blue box- simple smiley faces and all.
    --- Automerge ---
    [but back on track resuming the planet start]

oh and I do intend to "win" against this swarm. like everything, its just an engineering problem to solve, with slightly unusual and extreme issues to address. Nothing more. If I can learn tricks to thrive in Armageddon weather, then I am bound to learn some new tricks here for this old Engineers' Toolkit. That == fun for this one.

Last edited: May 25, 2018
  11. mojomann71

mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Was enjoying the story........
    Noticed has been months since you did this.
    Did you give up on it?

12. Spaceman Spiff

Oh, man, this is wa-a-a-a-ay too far back to remember.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.