Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Survival v1.189 Start Guide Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Soup Toaster, Mar 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

This article is primarily aimed at players of medium experience or old-timers just looking to get going as quick as possible. Space start isn't really covered here. Lots to get to so lets DIG IN.

--------------- TURN YOUR LANDING POD INTO AN AIRCRAFT:

Turn your pod into a proper aircraft more suited to a refined gentleman engineer:

1 - make sure the landing gear attached to the battery is locked to ground

2 - grind landing gear off oxygen generator, rebuild it anywhere, grind off again. Now you can build a cockpit (and other stuff)

3 - grind off oxygen generator and stick onto battery, big port facing out

4 - add medium container onto it

5 - mine stone, get materials to finish medium container if needed

6 - move SKIT onto other end of container

7 - grind passenger seat, conveyors, hydrogen thruster, timer and beacon from inside pod

8 - add cockpit onto SKIT, possibly a landing gear or two as desired.

9 - add two more atmospheric thrusters, one pushing left one pushing right. Grind one of the pods thrusters off for this. Makes the ship much easier to control.

[​IMG]

Now just fly it like a helicopter, lean forward to go forward, lean backward to slow down. You can also "slide sideways" using your side thrusters to speed up and slow down. Note that 3 lift thrusters is easily enough to keep the ship in the sky. Fly where ever you want (should have about an hour of flight time).

--------------- TURN YOUR POD FLYER INTO A MINER:

Fairly simple, sort of. Add a mining drill to the front of the cockpit--problems is you need large steel tubes.

- First, clean all the excess junk off the back of the ship.

- Now put a large steel block frame into the ground, but don't build it. Just the frame is enough. Add a 45 degree slope block frame to the side, then place a Starter Assembler on top of the block. Build the assembler, then add 8 blocks above it (frames only, save those plates!) Now add your wind turbine. Unless you're on top of a mountain, 1 turbine should power it. Take some iron out of your SKIT, put it in the assembler and make at least 10 large tubes. Better to have some extras.

[​IMG]

- Disassemble the turbine and assembler structure, and use the parts to build the drill on the front of your flyer.

- You can now also use some of those large tubes to add a 4th lift engine, 1 forward thruster and 1 backwards thruster.

[​IMG]

- Ta da! Now TWO IMPORTANT NOTES before you start mining stone:

1. Queue up 1000 ingot packages in the SKIT before you start mining, that way as the stone comes in it's immediately getting processed.

2. Drill with the craft totally horizontal and flat! Be very careful tipping forward.

Between the storage capacity of the drill, cockpit, SKIT and medium container you CAN overload the flyer and it'll fall. Just don't dig high up a cliff face. Once you're in your mining tunnel, get the ship loaded up then lower it down and lock a landing gear, this will save you a lot of power instead of letting your thrusters scream to keep you up while the ore is processed.

This way you can gather a lot of stone while simultaneously using the SKIT to make resources while still looking for a place to build your first base.

--------------- TIPS ON YOUR FIRST BASE:

The big thing getting established is power, which is where the wind turbine trick comes in. Put a base armor block down, then build eight 45 degree blocks up. Now add a square block on top with another block out the front, back, and both sides. The goal is to have 4 wind turbines sticking out horizontally from this point. The turbines will all have "optimal" placement and (depending on your altitude) generate 1.2 to 1.6 mW of power per level. Add five blocks above the joint and add 4 more turbines as needed. Basically build a tree of wind turbines for tons of power.

[​IMG]

To get your base off to a good start I recommend building a stone drill off the side of your wind tower. Go 5 full blocks up from the ground and one block out for clearance and place your piston. Conveyors down to a storage container, then build basic refineries off one of the ports. How many refineries depends on the number of drills. 5 drills need a minimum of 3 refineries to keep up with the stone.

[​IMG]

Add a drill/drills to the end of the piston and start drilling. You don't get a lot of stone till you make it through the dirt layer but then you'll get a lot more. Go down the full piston length, raise back up, grind off the drills, add 3 conveyor blocks to the end of the piston, add drills, keep going. With five drills and two plunges I got 20K iron, 1.73K nickel, 2.63K silicon, and 10K gravel. With this system you can actually get a lot of resources to work with until you can find proper deposits.

--------------- TIPS ON ASSEMBLERS:

The new Basic Assemblers actually beat tier 2 assemblers in some ways. For instance in the beginning it can be better to have more basic assemblers than an upgraded T2 assembler. A T2 assembler with 1 Speed Module takes up 4 blocks of space and uses 1.12Mw of power. However, 4 basic assemblers takes up the same space, uses the same amount of power, but makes components TWICE as fast. Possible components are limited and you have to queue up all four basic assemblers individually, but you also have the option to make 4 different things at the same time too. IMO: basic assemblers are awesome, use them!

--------------- SEARCHING FOR ORE:

I was under the impression that there were no more visual marks where you can find ore, but I was wrong. There are signs, but they are more subtle now.

Earth - Plains: Looks like dry grass
    [​IMG]

Earth - Meadows: dark splotches
    [​IMG]

Earth - mountains: Couldn't find any indicators.

Earth Moon - Yellow Splotches
    [​IMG]

---------------------------------------------------------

Mars - Plains: Snowy patches
    [​IMG]

Mars - Poles: Couldn't find any indicators.

Mars Moon Europa: Couldn't find any indicators.

---------------------------------------------------------

Alien - Plains: Kind of looks like a snowy/dry patch.
    [​IMG]

Alien - Slime Meadows: Looks like a dry gray patch.
    [​IMG]

Alien Moon - Plains: Snowy Patch just like on the Mars plains.
    [​IMG]

Alright, hopefully this stuff is helpful to someone and I didn't just waste a few hours. Have fun everyone!

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Nice little guide. Only issue I have is my Survival Kit never auto pulls ore. I always have to move the stone into it...

3. ObjectZero Apprentice Engineer

I'm stuck in the "earth mountains" Bio. I figure if there are indication in the other bios and planets there should be some in that one. I'm still just trying to figure out what they are.

4. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Are you queuing up a ton of ingot bags before hand? When I've got ingots queued up it always pulls for me.

Yeah I looked as hard as I could but I can't tell any difference between ore locations and plain ground in the mountains. Makes it much more appealing to fly out towards the equator if that's where you end up starting.

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

Yes even with 2000 ingot bags in queue, I still have to manually push the stone into the kit.

6. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Hey, I found that turning the wind turbines sideways significantly reduced their output.

7. Soup Toaster Apprentice Engineer

Remember they need to have a bunch of open space around them as well, think of it as "blocking the wind". As long as your tower is designed like in the picture, you shouldn't run into problems. Also make sure they are 1 block out from the tower, not right on the tower itself.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yes, that’s an important parameter, too. I intentionally build with multiple windmills that are five blocks apart to ensure optimum airflow.

9. J-Cataclism Apprentice Engineer

Great, great guide!

That´s some crazy nazi swastika on the last picture!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Aethel27 Trainee Engineer

This is awesome and really helpful!

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.