Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Survival

Discussion in 'General' started by Paracelse Alchemist, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Paracelse Alchemist Trainee Engineer

How would you see the game in Survival ?

2. MOFO_Pisatel Trainee Engineer

Well, easy and complicated at once :)
    Basically player starts with few tools with which he can gather resources for building. Then player gather resources and build build and build again. This will be even harder as in MP you have to defend against others, and you also need to manage energy. I think the most part of MP survival will consist of roleplay though (people teaming up creating corporations, factions).
    Maybe in future if devs implement oxygen (maybe even food) it ll be even harder!

3. CodenamePingu Trainee Engineer

Where will you start though? Will you start with a small ship? Or on an asteroid?

4. sanjai Trainee Engineer

From what i've heard there will be different scenarios, so you can choose to start in a large space station or floating in space near an asteroid belt with the bare minimum of items.

5. Stiletto Apprentice Engineer

For a challenge in my mind, I want to start without anything but the provided hand tools.

So that I can build my tiny space-shed and chew on a straw of space-hay while I do my space-mining. :D

6. enkar Apprentice Engineer

I wanna grow space weed and go sell it to the Teladies like in the X serie! You have no idea how much thoose lizards like smokin'! but not sure this will be implemented... Or may be as a mod! Otherwise i think that the survival will be pretty awesome, you'll start like a space ant, with you're armorless mining ship and a base in a small asteroid, to then become a king ruling on an asteroid belt with it's carrier, after, you'll get f*cked by a corp and return in you're shitty starter asteroid and start again to build you're empire, and take you're revenge! That's how i see the multiplayer survival.

7. Cyrus Deacon Trainee Engineer

Please dont mention the X series. Rebirth made my throw up.

8. Sgt Doom Trainee Engineer

X3 Terran Conflict/Albion Prelude is brilliant though, and still looks very decent. Shame Rebirth was so arsed up.

9. wesleybruce Trainee Engineer

Starting in space with just asteroids, the hand tools and a mini-fabricator that can make only cubic rock station blocks, power, a refinery and the assembler could work.

It would depend on the back story and I have one or two ideas there.
    I gather recipes are still work in progress. Only worked out the drills and refinery so far. [And pranged a few ships.]

For multiplayer securing things like cargo, doors and blocks need to be thought of. A security field generator that makes all blocks in range unbreakable would do the job. It must be turned off to make changes or fly. We may also need to hide bases so we need rock blocks cube, wedge and bumpy corner. So you can build a proper base inside a asteroid or make our ship look like a small asteroid.

10. wesleybruce Trainee Engineer

Having an escape pod start would be fun. Your hand tools break it down to make the starting parts for a refinery, power and assembler. Add mined ore to bulk things out and you're off and ... er ... 'running?'. The lifepod would not have any usable ship parts or blocks just stuff the grinder can salvage.

11. wesleybruce Trainee Engineer

End game tools and objectives need to be considered to so your starting tools etc are not too powerful relative to the final game play.

12. Paracelse Alchemist Trainee Engineer

What would you think about NPC being included in the Survival like some sort of crew and maybe some population for the station that could grow as you expand your life support system so the world would'nt look this empty ?

13. sanjai Trainee Engineer

What would the final gameplay be though? there will be no objectives, and likely no more tools than the ones already in the game will be added, it's a sandbox game, you can't beat it, there is no final gameplay.

14. freshmango55 Apprentice Engineer

I think he means grades of equipment. example - In minecraft there are wood, stone, iron, gold, and diamond tools, diamond being the best.

15. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Survival is one of the things I am really waiting to see how it shapes up.

Thing is, at this moment, there has been no mention of Astronaut needs for survival, and I am not 100% as to what will materialize. Thing is, right now the facilities that you construct simply do not require a ton of space. I can cram everything into a relatively small station. This, in and of itself is okay, but I would kind of like to see things be just as rewarding from a station building perspective as it is from the ship building perspective.

Things I would like to see:

-Pressurized cabins
    -Food production
    -Oxygen management
    -Drone management
    -Advanced construction facilities (Larger objects or advanced versions of tools)

All of these things will mean that I have More things that I can decide on building if need be. Further, depending on the level of commitment, it could drive people closer together and encourage specialization on servers.

16. AhtoS Trainee Engineer

How to you make first assembler, refinery and reactor if you have only hand tools? At the moment there must be at least starter ship or platform like there are or some crashed ship/station for loot.
    Anyway, how did we got there?
    Crashed ship if we want to leave this place and go to "home". Starter ship when you want to stay there and start build some mining/trade station and stuff.

17. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

I think survival should be an ongoing thing rather than just a start up. Too many survival games are too easy to survive once you have gone through the first couple of hours to build up your inventory. I would prefer the game to start in a small space station with the basic equipment and enough resources nearby to build a small ship. The major survival would take place after you have built up a little, moving around space you will encounter other players, space storms, moving astriod belts and other space anomalies which could rip holes in your pressurized hull or cause too much damage to repair having to limp this ship back to a space station.
    Furthermore, I think food management would be unnecessary but oxygen management would be ideal meaning that pressurized hulls would be required and players can't spend too long from their ships.

18. Grim Apprentice Engineer

Why do you think food managment isn't necessary?

19. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

I think the food aspect is overdone. Every survival game you can think of the basic survival aspect of it is food. Here you have a unique opportunity to make something else the basic survival (adding both food and oxygen would be far to complicated and bore alot of players) of which oxygen is the most obvious. Also so far there has been no talk or hints that food would be in the game but pressurized hulls have. Safe to say that this will be the way of it.

20. Vrmithrax Senior Engineer

Food and oxygen would be real survival considerations, but they can be easily accounted for in a simple hydroponics type of mechanism or assembly (provides food and oxygen). Maybe that will get factored in later, if at all, but for now this is all about resources and basic building (and potentially combat, of course).

21. shadow250 Apprentice Engineer

i thought the survival was going to be single player. thats actually why i bought the game. i live in the boonies here and the connection speeds required i just cant get. i can get the 3 mbps down but only get a measly 128 k up. i called the isp to see if they could do anything but nada.

i would like to see an ai even if they didnt build ships. they could just spawn prebuilt ones at random intervals and let a few missiles loose. also have the option to turn it off or on at the beginning of the game and set difficuly levels that determine how many ships attack and how frequently.

just my 2 cents

22. niteowl84 Apprentice Engineer

i tihnk the food aspect is pretty realistic and that to me is what this dev is striving for. The food aspect would give more for us to do and open up other venues for us to engage in such as hydroponics bays and what not..Oxygen well thats just obvious and a must have in a space survival game. Also even water for thirst..could mine it from the ice in the asteroids and use it to both drink and water plants in the hydroponics bay... i dont think it would bore anyone as alot of players seek this kind of survival aspect and if this game continues with what its' doing, adding something like this would be a great idea.

23. radam Senior Engineer

I think that if you are in space the food is the least of your worries. Having a ship and lack of food, the first thing on the mind would be to get back to a planet you came from... Or hydroponics if you can wait a month for thing to grow.

24. niteowl84 Apprentice Engineer

they are striving for realism so i think food def would be something to worry about otherwise you would starve long before u ever reach home providing thats the level of realism they are heading towards for survival. I tihnk hydroponics would be intresting to add... food doesnt have to be top of th elist importance but would be nice to have it in there for that realistic feel to it.

25. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

If you start adding too much survival aspects it becomes too much of a survival game. Think about day z, you spend most of your time looking for food and water rather than doing the "good stuff." Here if you put too much emphasis on multiple survival elements you take away from the core which is the engineering part. Simple is usually better. Sure add a mod so people who want complicated survival can do it but I think for the core game having oxygen as the main one is enough but then have survival events like electro storms, moving asteroid showers ect ect which would be far more interesting than making sure my food bar is at full.

26. Paracelse Alchemist Trainee Engineer

The core of this game is engineering and building project to adapt to your envirronement. In survival mode you definitly need multiple thing you need to worry about. So our base , ship and other construction wont be meaning less. Creativity will come from the problem of the struggle for surviving.
    If survival is too easy and just about building well stick to the creative and leave us the possibility to have an insanly hard survival mode. It's space damm it not a carebear paradise :p

27. whistler118 Apprentice Engineer

I see your point paracelse but as I said, yes make it hard but not through food and water. Oxygen yes but It will become mundane and boring if you have to upkeep food resources like you had to in minecraft. I would want hard survival but in the form of, as i have said, space anomalies and space environment related things. To put an example out:
    Imagine you are flying along in your pressurized large ship. You spend your time going from asteroid to asteroid. You locate a resource rich rock and harbour next to it. Going through your ship into an airlock you make your way into the hanger and get in your special mining ship. After some resource gathering you return to "recharge" the power cells and then your sensors start flashing red. A small asteroid shower is heading your way. You have no time to escape so must quickly find a place to hid your large ship. Too late...one of the leading asteroids cuts straight through one of your engines killing your thrust power. Desperately trying to nurse your ship into protection a second stone breaches your hull. Alarms go off and emergency doors slam shut to preserve the pressurization. After the shower you move outside in an attempt to repair key points in order to limp the ship back to your space station for further repairs.
    That is the kind of survival I want where space is indeed dangerous but it does not become repetitive and dull like food hording is.

28. niteowl84 Apprentice Engineer

while i can appreciate your view on this whistler i think food and oxygen and sorts should be something that you would have to worry about. Realism is key here so if you were in space would you not want to have food? i think it adds to the realism of it all and adds that little extra for ppl like myself that love very hard survival environment where there is a constant struggle...if it's all bout building its going to get rather boring don't you think? growing food gives us that much more to do once we grow tired of never ending building... im sure many ppl will agree with mine as well as your view. I hope that they do implement something like that unless people don't require food or anything of that nature to stay alive in space these days. I love the challenge of a hard survival game, makes it fun and worthwhile and when you struggle to create a massive ship with hydroponics bays and such to keep you alive, you feel a great sense of accomplishment.

29. Grim Apprentice Engineer

I am going to have to disagree with having to worry about food being "boring". If you're low on food resources you're going to worry. The closer you get to death from a lack of food, the more you are going to panic.

30. Leon026 Apprentice Engineer

DayZ in space, I do not want. Would rather be interested in meaningful diplomacy and trade, rather than shooting everything in sight "because I need them can of beans".

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.