Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Surviving the Meteors

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Leadfootslim, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Leadfootslim Senior Engineer

As of this writing, I'm running my server on the Cataclysmic setting - and surviving pretty nicely. After a scramble to dismantle my solar panels and put up heavy armor plating on the "roof" of my base, it appears that most of the asteroids stray rather wide; however, those that do hit are pretty worrisome.

I'm loving this so far, however. It's a delightful challenge to deal with! How are y'all handling the new hazard so far?

2. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Hating it as it's really bad on server when you're offline.
    When you go offline everything is okay, when you get back you see a lot of damage on every ship that isn't inside asteroid.
    No and no, that won't do. Survival needs to only be counted when you're present yourself!

3. megatarre Trainee Engineer

Its lags the sever even worse now. Before my friends and I could play together but now we may not be able too.

4. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

Then disable meteors...

5. Zandraak Trainee Engineer

I hope Gavity will works on Meteors, cause actually we can't play with meteor (So, it's a useless update..)
    If we can't fight meteors, we can't use Solar panel, if we can't use solar panel....
    Well, put gravity usefull for fight meteor, and we will build Satelite for defend our station and repulse Meteor.
    Plz plz plz !

6. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

I think I found a way to survive the meteors... KEEP MOVING!!! They will miss even a large ship if it is just going fast enough... this makes beacons even more important... keep your ship moving and beacons on and you should be good to live in a universe with meteors... So far this is working even on Armageddon.

7. Daingerous88 Trainee Engineer

Do you mean to tell me you are playing on an offline server and the game still runs? Or do you mean a mutil-player server and you logged off.

8. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

To be honest I'm loving this...cant help going topside when it starts.
    Waiting to see what the word is on gravity shields..?
    Lost most of my capture tug before I could move it but its fixable.
    Got a military transport I was stripping that I cant move anymore and its taking a ****ing pounding.
    Its a race to get the guns off before they get destroyed.

9. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

gravity shields dont work btw...

I can see this as a good balancing mechanic if heavy armor blocks on stations can be immune to rocks, and large ship guns are good at swatting small ships out of the sky. What will happen is that stations will suddenly have a purpose as well as ships. It would be too difficult to take on a station without a large ship that could assault it, but it couldn't stop without risking meteor damage, so it always has to keep moving unless its in combat or shielded inside a stations heavy armor... That could be the trade off... But these rocks would need to start coming from random directions too. Maybe the prevailing direction could slowly change over time just like the wind.

10. SpaceNut Trainee Engineer

^^^ This is a good game mechanic to implement if not already in the game. These Satellites would in essence "attract" meteors in a sacrificial manner,getting destroyed in the process. This will keep it from being too easily used. Gravity wells may not work on meteors...yet... as mentioned below.

^^^^ This is also a great way to solve the current concerns regarding meteorites. It is a fair compromise between the realistic deadliness of meteorites with the resource investment required to protect one's self.

Suggestions after watching update video:

Just many options, obviously not all needed.

-Make another Tier of Armor (i.e , Light , Medium, Heavy) the latter being resistant to meteors
    -Or make a "stationary" station armour block that cannot move, as part of space stations to make them have the purpose mentioned by Maul555
    -Or just increase the damage resistance (if only against meteors) of the current Heavy armour block

11. RavynKnight Apprentice Engineer

I think its interesting that the devs weren't too keen on making the solar panels.. but they gave them to us because we wanted them.. then they make meteor showers that come from the sun.. coincidence?

12. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

The best way to prevent meteors is to make a wire frame wall in the direction of the sun. The way you do this is you make station and build a long flat plane of steel catwalks, but don't weld them. This means that they only take one interior plate each to build. The meteors will destroy the blocks and bounce off, and all you have to do is make an interior late to fix the hole! The best part is that they let the sun through, so you can still make solar panels effective.

13. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

well I think this has a little bit of bug useing/cheating :/

14. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

What do you mean? It is not exploiting anything, it just is using enginnering to solve problems. It is no different than making light armor "scaffolding" blocks as supports for stations, or like on the mining carriage.

15. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

I agree that if the game gives you lemons, you make lemonade. But once the physics of the meteors is made more realistic, they aren't going to bounce off of a grid and also destroy a heavy armour block in a couple hits.

So I'd expect an update to make the grids practically useless and heavy armour far more useful in stopping meteors. Or at least I sure hope so!

Right now they're best just left off unless you want to see them blow up your stuff for the hell of it.

16. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

This is what I mean. A little wireframe shouldn't bounce a meteor. ^^

17. DarkS33d Apprentice Engineer

I don't see why so many people aren't seeing the obvious solution(or at least no one is acknowledging it here). For the time being, while the devs develop some proper defenses for meteors, simply don't build in direct line of sight to the sun. I had already built my survival base on the dark side of an asteroid for visibility purposes but now I'm also completely safe from meteors as well.

Also, how many people are flying around in huge capital ships in survival? Currently small ships (I'm referring to the building material) are not targeted by meteors. Unless you are retrofitting the derelicts you should be safe flying around in small ships.

18. ArcherV Apprentice Engineer

i fly one. :)
    But im playing x10 since I play singleplayer.

19. Donut64 Trainee Engineer

I played in Armageddon. Honestly its a tad disappointing that all of the meteors come from one direction, and also disappointing that there are so few of them. When it said "Armageddon", I hoped for Armageddon not the occasional orbit meteor shower.

20. Teravisor Apprentice Engineer

And how are you supposed to build solar panels there?

21. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

One solution for the solar panels, that seems to be working for me, is build a very long line of un welded blocks off to one side.
    then put your panels there. Once in a while they get close but no hits so far.
    Engineer around it.

edit...
    Put my base inside an asteroid so this is how I have to do it anyway.

22. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

This only works when the meteors "follow you around". That is one of the most frustrating parts of this for me.

Random meteor showers everywhere in space, from any direction, detectable with RADAR, etc., would be good. But having them just follow you around, always coming from the sun... it's not fun at all.

It reminds me of the "rain god" Rob McKenna in the Hitchhikers books.

23. Maul555 Apprentice Engineer

Whats worse is that it looks like they target any structure on the map... at random. The more stuff I put on a map the less frequently I was bombarded myself. But I also noticed that I could see other large ships off in the distance getting a shiat storm, so it does not just follow you around. Whats more, it appears that you cant even hide something behind or inside an asteroid if you are planning to at any time leave the area. I hid some beacons in the shadow of an asteroid complex and then went off to do some speed tests... Well my beacons started disappearing and now I cant get back. I think that the asteroid dissapeared when I got out of render distance, but the asteroid storms continued to target structures, and so with the asteroid gone because I was out of range, it tore through the stuff protected by an asteroid.

24. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

I take that back....down to just two panels now from six.
    Just enough to run the station cockpit but not the beacon..
    Plan B anyone?

25. McHendrik Apprentice Engineer

Turn 'em off until they're fixed, patched, or are changed in some way that they somehow make sense.

Right now they're a brief amusement like triggering the natural disasters in the old SimCity. Save your game, destroy your base, chuckle, reload without the meteors, carry on.

Hopefully the underlying mechanic that they programmed for this will get used for something meaningful that we'll actually want to leave on.

26. Mad Mike Apprentice Engineer

Not turning them off, I like a challenge but I will probably break a record for the longest gantry...
    I'll keep experimenting till I find a solution...:thumb:

27. moroder Apprentice Engineer

Love it! Creative solution.

28. TDJBMC Trainee Engineer

The survival mode lives from the non stoppable fight against fix problems, awake to this

29. Cronos988 Junior Engineer

Sloped armor seems to have a significant impact. I did not yet test sloped light armor, but while non-sloped heavy armor gets destroyed in a 2x2 area, sloped block seem to only get dented.

30. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

I'm leaving them off for now. You can't detect them incoming, you can't intercept them in any way, they just troll your stuff.

I'll wait until they work in a way that makes more sense and can actually be defended against.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.