Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Surviving the Meteors

Discussion in 'Survival' started by Leadfootslim, Apr 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. xwhitemousex Apprentice Engineer

I love this statement :D Should add that to the offical wikipedia page about meteorites.

Meteor Showers
    [definition] - They just troll your stuff.

2. Ash87 Senior Engineer

I probably wont activate them until such a time, that there is a reliable way to avoid the meteor showers that doesn't involve moving, or 14 layers of heavy armor. Some kind of means of stopping or countering the impacts is needed.

3. Fixer Apprentice Engineer

You can do what I do:

live behind a rock.

4. Beezilbub Apprentice Engineer

LOL. That's what I do. Dark Side of the Asteroid, new Pink Floyd song.

5. Ash87 Senior Engineer

That doesn't seem like a solution. I mean if that does turn out to be the way around it, that is fine, but given the availability of solar panels, and the cost of time and energy to make them... having some means of protecting our investment doesn't seem unreasonable.

6. Fixer Apprentice Engineer

Keep moving.

The meteors won't catch up to you if you are travelling at a reasonable speed. They 'spawn' and travel at set velocities, so if you aren't in their possible trajectory path you can just outrun them.
    (Although I just don't use solar panels. I prefer to have that nice glow from nuclear reactors in my game.)

7. Tontow Apprentice Engineer

Just Make a cargo bay door and close it when you see them coming or aren't using your base.

The alternative is to make some spinning armor panels.

8. Ash87 Senior Engineer

Now that I got those piston doors working, that would work.

Again though, having a system by which I could stop the asteroids would be nice at the same time.

And again, if the devs want to stick with the system as is we'll just work around it on my end... But it'd still be nice to have a counter. That is my feedback to the system.

9. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Well our solution to the problem is just to slap on as much sloped heavy armor as possibly and use spikes for low cost & efficiant extra protection layer.

[​IMG]
    New base almost as of the meteor update ( we are 2 ppl playing activly ).

10. TheGrover Trainee Engineer

does the direction of the slope matter? ie. does sloping to decrease the angle of penetration (hitting more parallel to the face of the armour, rather than perpendicular) make for better armour? or is it simply that sloped and corner blocks have better armour values than simple blocks?

11. Gamer_62 Trainee Engineer

I myself love the asteroids update..it now gives you something else to consider....The meteors is another story,I only use them for a little fun

if your one that doesn't like them...why moan just switch to safe mode..job done ..asteroids/meteors all gone

I have it set to normal.

I used to have a mass of iron and steel plates...not no more ,as i'm having to build a defence against
    the asteroids and also the up keep to repairing ships,walls etc.

Devs great job..keep it coming

@Tontow...Good idea ,A movable platform...but anyway the asteroids don't do that much damage

anyway so won't destroy many solar panels...we have to much resources anyway...what with ships to

capture and much mining to do..whats the problem

12. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Well i cant really tell you for sure as i'm rarely up and witnessing the disaster hitting my base, but i do know that rocks that don't disintegrate are rolling off in what ever direction the slope was angled at, ill be a bit more on the lookout but i do think that they are more resistant if they are impacting at a proper angle ( i am a Tank driver by nature in games so sloped armor against bullets is in my blood :D ).

13. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

Living behind a rock is a very gamey solution, which won't work when they make the asteroids come from all sides like they said they were going to.

14. jaumem9 Trainee Engineer

Just stay behind an asteroid... I captured a few ships and I'm building a big station with heavy armor defense. But the asteroid becomes small, so survival is now more interesting :p

15. Crescent42 Trainee Engineer

Don't go into the light!

A good roof is well and good for most things but I have a base with fragile equipment, cranes, and just one meteor shower tore those things to bits. They were made of heavy armor and all but the rotors just couldn't handle it I guess. My cranes are my babies. They've made stripping ships and life in general so much better. How can you protect something fragile like that from a giant flying rock?

Beez, a fellow I game with quite often, has been developing his ship on the darkside of an asteroid but with a base I'm interested in having a base fully "outside" or partially in an asteroid. I don't think shielding the rotor will work since the stress point remains the same. So ideas proposed so far are fantastic, but I'm wondering how do we deal with the more delicate machinery and structures?

16. Bental Trainee Engineer

I tow derelicts to between my base and the sun. They were gonna get scrapped anyway :p

17. Crescent42 Trainee Engineer

Then you might have to deal with debris coming your way, or on the way out, no?

18. Ice Forge Apprentice Engineer

Hm how about trying to make foldable equipment and create secure facilitys to store them at?

19. Fixer Apprentice Engineer

I was debating having a large 'fin' of solar panels that come out of the back of a base, and you just 'turn' the base when there are no meteors to get power.

The side opposite the fins is all heavy armor, to protect everything inside.

20. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

considering the fact that you can't detect the meteors, how will you know when to turn the array around?

21. Stonewolf Junior Engineer

I don't just live behind a asteroid. I look for a location that has several asteroids lined up between sun and my base. Little sunlight passing between then for my solar panels, rarely an meteor can find its way thru but mostly the asteroids take the hit.

Haven't tried this yet but was also thinking of moving more ships behind near by asteroids to take some of the incoming meteors, so the chance of my base been hit would minimize.

22. Aurenian Apprentice Engineer

If I were you I'd turn off meteors just before loading your map after every major update. It would suck to come back into your game to find out that the apocalyptic meteors are coming from all directions by default and all your stuff is being destroyed.

23. THE_VB Junior Engineer

1.Hide like cowards inside asteroids
    2.More heavy armor...MORE!..MOAR!!!
    3.Be a pig and use looted noobships to cover your base
    4.Cosplay "Gravity" movie. A succesfull cosplay can bring you an oscar.

24. pyroim Trainee Engineer

According to some of my limited research into the meteors ( mostly for the fear factor during survival ) it would appear they target powered ships and stations and the player!
    Though there seem to be some requirements for them to target inanimate objects and vehicles such as:

A Cockpit
    A power source , whether that is solar or nuclear , your choice, it MUST KEEP THE COCKPIT ACTIVE
    A thruster, this of course applys to Ships only
    Atleast 3 Blocks , though do note this one is unconfirmed, 3 Is generally simple to mount the other required items on and costs virtually nothing if only completed to the first stage, seeing as structural integrity is not of importance here this is just fine.

Though this is just a Hypothesis the thought goes like this. Make a small batch of single thruster large ships with the necessary power supplies and fly them in a direction away from your current location, causing the meteors to have a less likely hood of targeting your main base!

My recommendation for this sort of thing would be something like this

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198052404656/screenshot/3281178331746018829

This Vehicle allows you to fly it in a single direction without dampeners, and keeps the cockpit powered.

DISCLAIMER: I have been hit by meteors still while doing operations in survival, this method of surviving the meteors does not mean surviving, it means giving the meteors MORE targets and making it less likely for you to be targeted as an individual! Also there is ALWAYS a chance of them getting hit and losing power and there by rendering them useless... so yeah

25. AgentMN Trainee Engineer

I'm going to agree with a need to find a way to mitigate meteors. There is of course hiding but even on "normal" the meteors are far too frequent to make anything in the sunlight safe for long (managed to move my tugobat ship just in time after the nose ended up outside the shadow, and that was with just 6 engines, a gyro, and reactor completed). And I don't like the suggestions of "keep moving" or "build a scaffold wall" because they're not realistic. It's exploiting the way the game is simulating meteors right now to only hit populated areas and to immediately stop being a physical missile once any collision happens. In reality those meteors would be everywhere, even in front of your moving ship, and they'd punch through a skeletal frame like tin foil.

Now since we don't have functioning turrets yet, I could see having an automated turret system that tracks and shoots down rogue meteors in a future patch, but having done some research this morning most real world Near Earth Object contingency plans involve a type of deflection in which case utilizing the gravity generators would make the most sense to me.

26. THE_VB Junior Engineer

The space merry-go-round-like system can be used around the ship to make an always moving line of frames/light armor blocks.just make it wide enough to take more damage.

27. OrangeAaron Apprentice Engineer

The best way to fight large meteors is to land on them before they hit and blow them up with nukes.
    I think they do that on the movies anyways.

28. Fixer Apprentice Engineer

If you are travelling at 20m/s perpendicularly to the sun you can also avoid meteors (if you don't go by another ship that already had them, that is).

29. Liath_WW Trainee Engineer

My issue with meteors is that this is a game. If we go for realism, first off meteors wouldn't be purposefully 'aiming' at you. Seems as though the sun hates us.

Meteors are all fine and dandy, but on the realistic and gaming side, they currently aren't fun. If all suns hated the human race, and actively launched meteors at us, we'd have never made it to space, hence no reason why the player is stranded in space :D If suns did in fact possess intelligence, and actively targeted us puny humans, then we found a way to deal with it (that didn't involve constantly running around like chickens with our heads cut off).

On the gaming side, I like challenge. But I like challenge that I can work around. Like creepers in MC -- I love/hate them. Hate them at first, then after a while I make a base that is properly lit, has defences that keep them at bay or dead. In SE, I like meteors, but there is currently no real way to defend against them. I'd imagine that a race of people that conquered gravity would know how to deal with meteors...

30. DocMop Junior Engineer

Just build you base on the dark side of asteroids or inside them.

And about the aiming, just think of it like this: The Sun is crossing a asteroid belt for whatever reason and flings meteoroids everywhere in all directions. Because you are so far away from the sun, all that crap seems to come directly from the sun.

On the OOC side you must understand, that in order so save bandwidth and reduce lag only the meteoroids which can actually hit something are spawned.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.