Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Technical Help with Achieving Smooth Gameplay

Discussion in 'Gameplay Help' started by TiberiumFusion, Dec 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. TiberiumFusion Trainee Engineer

First of all, my sincerest apologies if this is the wrong forum/board/area/whatever to post in - never once have I found a forum that gives a clear path for user support for a game. With that said, here's my inquiry:

My friend recently gifted me Space Engineers, which was exciting, of course. Unfortunately, I started up the first campaign mission, ready to go, only to find out it runs like s*** for me.

My setup & experience :

> Win 7 Ult x64
    > .NET 3.5/4.0/4.5.2/4.6.2 installed; all VC redists installed (2005 - 2015, x86 and x64); "Windows 7 Platform Update" installed
    > Basically, all the redists and prereqs are installed and have been so many months before I downloaded Space Engineers
    > CPU: AMD Vishera FX-6300 (running at 4.0GHz target)
    > Graphics card: HQ Sapphire board with AMD Radeon HD 7970
    > Radeon Driver version: 16.12.1
    > 16GB DDR3 RAM
    My framerate fluctuates rapidly while running and looking all around (I've only run the first campaign mission for easy comparison), ranging anywhere from 29fps to 55fps, but usually hovers at 42. Looking in new directions triggers fairly rough lagspikes of ~200-300ms occasionally. Even stranger, both on the lowest possible and highest possible settings my fps is 29fps to 55fps, hovering at 42. The v-sync option appears to offer nothing. Any form of proper anti-aliasing (e.g. MSAA applied via Radeon settings application profiles) seems to be completely ignored; the internal FXAA option responds but yields virtually no improvement, only ever-so-slightly fuzzing aliases. And throughout this all, my GPU peaks at 50% load and my CPU peaks at 60% load - again, regardless of super low or high settings. The Space Engineers process also jumps around crazily in RAM allocation at times, peaking at 4.2GB, and sometimes jumps from ~4GB to ~2GB in a second (especially while loading). I'm using the default branch, that is, no opt-ins or betas or anything.

To further raise the mystery, I surveyed my friend's setup & experience, which is as follows:
    > Win 8 Pro x64 (not 8.1)
    > He's been playing Space Engineers successfully for at least 2 years
    > CPU: i5-4690K (running at 3.5GHz target)
    > GPU: Nvidia GTX 760 (don't know board partner or model)
    > 32GB RAM (DDR3/4 is unknown)
    > Latest GeForce driver, I'm assuming
    With his setup, he loaded the "final" (his term) campaign mission (he couldn't get mission 1 to load), and got an fps range of 40 to 67, hovering at 45. This is beyond puzzling - we have comparable hardware, to which Space Engineers under-utilizes mine yet handles his for "very smooth gameplay" (his description).

While I'm at it, I'd also like to mention an exceptionally obnoxious bug: whenever I tab out of the game (which is running fullscreen), the game decides to not actually minimize like it should, but instead switch to a borderless fullscreen window, and demand my attention (flashing taskbar button). If I click on anything, even another window that luckily landed overtop the Space Engineers one, the game will reclaim focus. Only Task Manager seems impervious to this.

So, with all that said, does anyone have any idea what is going on? Seeing as modern games like Titanfall 2 run beautifully at 60fps on max settings with my rig, my suspicion is that the Space Engineer devs have opted to focus near exclusively on optimization for Intel/Nvidia systems, or maybe there's something obvious I'm missing that's wrong on my end - or maybe both? Thank you to anyone who knows something; I'd love to be able to play Space Engineers smoothly. If you need more info on anything, please ask so I can try to gather it for you.

2. Fus Apprentice Engineer

No mystery here, what you're experiencing is the norm for SE in its current state. No, Im not being sarcastic.
    I use an i5 3somethingX with 12Gb DDR3 and a GTX 670, fps around 25-60 in very busy (SP) worlds. I get micro lag spikes now and then but nothing gamebreaking.
    1920x1080 High Textures but no planet stuff, detest planets and childish wolves/spiders etc.

3. TiberiumFusion Trainee Engineer

Thank you for the reply!

It's a shame that this game has such universal poor performance; it reminds me of gmod

4. bigsteve Trainee Engineer

5. TiberiumFusion Trainee Engineer

Frequency is hardly a suitable, singular way to judge processors. For example, I've experienced modern single core Intel cpus at 4.5Ghz perform only 20% of benchmarks set by older tri-core AMD cpus at 2.2 GHz. Specs aren't everything, what matters is how well the hardware is utilized. As I said in my OP, space engineers under utilizes my cpu, so it is most definitely not frequency.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.