Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

Territory & maps

Discussion in 'Suggestions and Feedback' started by SilentShadow, Feb 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Assuming more factions will get introduced into vanilla, I suggest a method for AI and humans to claim territory. In space there would be a 3d grid of 40km cells. To claim individual cells an antenna set to a specific name and transmitting to 50km from within 3km of center is required.

The AI factions could gradually claim certain number of cells. Trespassing results in armed response even if more than 20km from AI ships. To avoid tracking thousands of cells, set a max number of cells for each faction and require contiguous cells when attempting claim territory. Perhaps limit to the number of continuous groups of cells, basically main territory plus x number of colonies.

2nd idea, maps. Just to display territory, waypoints, and planets. No roids and or such.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sioxernic Senior Engineer

Problem: Map is infinite, territory wont matter.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Malware Master Engineer

Solution: Also incorporate the improved mapping system which generates asteroid fields and optional planetary rings rather than the silly uniform field we have today. Allow these fields to be placed manually as well as automatically generated, this way it's easy to create limited resource fields and territories matter.

I have a hard time believing there will ever be this kind of AI though. But this would still be good for MP.

• Agree Agree x 5
  4. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

The asteroid field idea is a great one, but I wonder if the current uniform field is too central to the code to be reasonably altered.

WRT AI I hold out hope that SE and ME will be a testbed of sorts for GoodAI. Perhaps alpha versions of AI will visit as NPCs from time to time to test decision making and such.

5. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

a fun enough idea would give players something to do.

but i can already hear sim speed killing itself over the thought of having to render 1 more ship. -_-

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. DDP-158 Master Engineer

What's being alluded here is something similar to minecraft chunks. You know, back in the glitchy days when you'd find that square pit in the middle of nowhere. A number of these chunks are used to create a biome in mc.

To my knowledge, minecraft works because it only loads the chunks near you so people can go in all sorts of directions and build. The only time simspeed would be affected is when you bring your supermassive ship into chunk range of somebodies other supermassive ship.

7. Forcedminer Senior Engineer

The good ol times of looking into it first of all to see any ore.
    then jumping into it and ether slowly falling into the void or bouncing up and down rapidly.

[​IMG]

8. Malware Master Engineer

They already have exclusion fields. Making inclusion fields shouldn't be much more difficult.
    --- Automerge ---
    Yes, they will be testbeds for GoodAI. Testbeds. Meaning something that's an addition. A plugin, in fact, which already exists. GoodAI is not game AI. The AI won't be ready even for this kind of interaction for years. People need to understand this, they won't be providing something fun for any game because that's not its purpose, not what it's made for, and proper, good old fashioned game AI will provide more game-type fun. If you find AI interesting and fun, then this is for you. If you want to play a game with NPC opponents, it's not.

9. SilentShadow Apprentice Engineer

Hmm. I suppose thinking of teaching AI to trade or propose deals. Basically a training environment.

I don't expect the GoodAI to fight worth anything. Just decide when to fight, flee, or bargain.

10. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

Problem with holding territory in SE is that the resources held in asteroids quickly get depleted. A space based faction would eventually need to be nomadic. Mining ores in an area until such ores are depleted. On planets, things would be, possibly, different. Content on planets is currently sparse (only a half grade up from space). BUT an expansion on planet content could make holding a planet side base hugely beneficial. Holding ground would then be a goal.

11. Levits Senior Engineer

This is where actual sources for infinite supplies of specific material would work. Iron, gold, and other ore-based resources would have to be mined and thus depleted; but there are potential infinite resources out there that could be added that would warrant building permanent infrastructure.

That and/or unique traits of certain regions.

12. halipatsui Senior Engineer

GoodAi Is not meant for games

13. Greyson_XMG Apprentice Engineer

GoodAi is not meant for games.....

Perhaps it should be.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. halipatsui Senior Engineer

Why should it? Complexity ox general ai would possibly drain your computers power on its own when regular in-game ai would be lighter to run and probably more competent overall.

15. 333546323 Apprentice Engineer

Some places can have more recources
    --- Automerge ---

16. [flux] Trainee Engineer

What is good ai in space engineers?

Random incounters with a ship weilding auto aim? There are no npc's to hack your grid.
    The most complicated could be...
    A pack of spiders, wolves, or hounds maybe even monkeys trying to kamikazi your builds. And in an organized manner.
    A pirate spawning drones, fighters, bombers, cruise missles, or mobile bases.
    And then those bases creating drones, npc or projectiles toward you.

An ai that spawn some where in the next system.
    Colonizes the next planet
    Pesters you with pirates
    Colonizes the other side of your planet
    Infects you with planet side pester pieces.
    And if you take too long, you run out of resources and now you have to die or take aggresive action.

Im not saying that the ai should gather resources. I think it should be a time measured gimme for them. But if your playing survival, the other animal will surpase you. And the ai should have dumby resource gathering equipment moving about so their resources are spent and ready for the taking. Just like starcraft and their npc agression and resource management. But with no holes actually drilled.

And as for territory. If its set up to be a hostile server. Shouldnt every world be habited for the fun of it. And in real life, dont the inhabitants eventually use up all the good stuff on a planet and thats why they have to move out and explore?

Then lets tie in the maybe renuable resource of food. And if you wanted to get crazy you could have bio waste as an input (stretch) and sunlight and water. Oh no, collect that dead spider im hungry. Used up planets could be waste depots and farm land as a transaction of inputs and outputs. Oh snap.

Anyways territorries are a real thing. Resource management. And the fun of hostile ai or players taking your stuff. I think this would go well with maps and radar or sensor blocks as well.

The map you see is the area you own and is antennad so that it updates in real time; but areas not traveled and not antennaed are seen but not updated. In that caviot... advanced sensors can get planet rotation aproximations around a sun for a dry map as well as the standards in the area. These stardards dictate avtivity sensors and antennas could report back.
    So maps and territories are natural.

17. sioxernic Senior Engineer

And even then the other faction just goes somewhere else.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.