Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Asteroids starter ship should be armed.

Discussion in 'Balancing' started by VanGoghComplex, Oct 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

I'm not talking about turning the thing into a warship, just giving it one gatling or maybe two interior turrets. Just enough ammo to last a couple of skirmishes.

Barring that, the pirates need to be less... omniscient.

I know you can work around it by waiting until you're established to enable them, but that feels cheat-y.

Having a little armament in the beginning makes it possible to survive but still a challenge.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  2. Nova Wolf Apprentice Engineer

I agree that most starter ships should have at least minimal weaponry. You shouldn't be a sitting duck.

3. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

A decent amount of refined magnesium as part of the starting cargo would solve the problem. That way arming your ship is about decision-making rather than equipping everyone with turrets/etc. Grind a couple of pieces down and crank out some ammo. Or you could not and use the resources to upgrade your ship faster. But I don't think weaponry should be a straight "gimme."

Just my thoughts.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

Good call. It's a nice middle of the road option.

5. Gentry Senior Engineer

I don't think the purpose of the starter ship is to be combat viable.

That is a problem you got to solve yourself.

6. Merandix Junior Engineer

TBH, I think we should have a less powerful starter ship, with less bells and whistles, not more. One gatling turns it into a warship, because it would give me the ability to beat an Argentavis. We still need some form of exceedingly crappy refinery and exceedingly crappy assembler, preferably for small ships. I'd like them to be less efficient than their big counterparts.

If you want the starter ship to be a little combat capable... bolt a gatling turret on it yourself. Even as quick as the pirates come, you should be able to get to do that before they come.

7. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

I haven't played with pirates since the beginning, when I posted this, and when they always started close to you and would chase you to the ends of the universe. The balancing changes made to them must have fixed that. So, cheers and carry on.

8. Merandix Junior Engineer

To be fair, I usually just start a survival game with that stuff turned off... They DO come too early, but seeing as we will start on planets in the near future; I just hope the pirates won't be still coming straight for you, since that would mean it would literally rain pirates :woot: (as in, pirate ships crashing into your base :p).

• Like Like x 1
  9. k0rd Trainee Engineer

Unless something changed very recently, the starting ship can be customized by your server administrator.

10. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

Yeah, any and all balance issues can be adjusted by the player through modding, but that's kindof a given.

11. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

I wouldn't consider a single turret with limited ammo on a ship with exposed critical systems to be "combat viable," would you?

12. Gentry Senior Engineer

then why bother

13. k0rd Trainee Engineer

I'm not sure it's fair to compare a configuration option to a mod, but I do see your point.

14. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

Replacing the starter ship with anything else isn't a configuration option for a server admin, it must be done with a mod.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

So that you're not completely helpless when a pirate drone shows up right next to you at the very beginning of a survival game?

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Gentry Senior Engineer

maybe you're supposed to be

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  17. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

I fear you might be a member of the "Keen can do no wrong" crowd... barring scripted events where you're supposed to die right off the bat, putting a player up against an enemy they can't possibly beat in the first few minutes of the game isn't indicative of good game design. =/

Alternately, of course, they could (as they've claimed to do already) position the drones father out from the starting position, or put them on a timer so that you have ten or twenty minutes to get yourself armed or to a hiding place.

If you've ever played on realistic settings, surely you must concede that there is no possible way to mine and refine magnesium, assemble ammo, and build a gatling turret on your ship within the first few minutes of a new game.

18. Gentry Senior Engineer

You can do more than just fight them though.

I know plenty of good, acclaimed games that don't sissy about in the first hour of gameplay.

Sometimes hard = good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

Cheers on your final point. Dark Souls are among my favorite games.

The drones in an Asteroids start aren't just "hard" though. They know where you are at all times regardless of distance. They chase you forever. The only defense is to exploit their weak pathfinding and hide in an asteroid. The only offense is to ram them.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Exactly, but gatlings are useless without ammo and refining magnesium in any quantity to make them useful is painstakingly long in the beginning. So having a small supply of refined magnesium on hand gives the player options without handing them over a warship. You still have to build the gatling turret(s) as well as use the magnesium along with other ingots to assemble ammunition. Once that ammo is gone, you're stuck with empty gatlings.

Having a gatling turret isn't that big of a deal in the beginning. It will discourage low level players from raiding you... until the ammo runs out very quickly... unless you devote a LOT of beginning time to building up ammunition rather than building up your capabilities. So it's pretty self-balancing.

21. k0rd Trainee Engineer

My bad, I had the wrong impression about this.

22. VanGoghComplex Apprentice Engineer

No worries, it's counterintuitive. I only found out recently because I did build my own custom starter for use on my dedicated server. =)

• Like Like x 1
  23. Morrigi Apprentice Engineer

It'd be reasonable to give the starter ships a gatling gun or at least a couple of interior turrets.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.