Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The inevitable fantasy mod

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WereBottle, Jan 14, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Okay as soon as I saw this, I knew there's going to be a number of people modding in fantasy stuff as soon as they can so this is a thread devoted to what you think is and isn't easily modded into this:

Magic: I imagine this one will be tricky as the structural stuff (giant pentagrams/ cauldrons/ portals for summoning an eldritch horror) will just be modding in an extra block. However actually spell stuff (fireballs for example) will probably be allot harder, or at least modding in a magic system.

Monsters: I suppose this depends on what kind of AI is in the vanilla, if it includes AI for animals that you hunt for food then it might not be too difficult.

Dungeons, temples crypts or generally spooky shacks: That can probably be done in vanilla.

I very much would like to see a fantasy version of this as I think the medieval setting might be a bit too restrictive for me and I'm still desperately looking for a good magic crafting game where I don't have to either A) deal with the minecraft mod community... (eugh) B) Actually have good graphics while I'm doing it and C) is in a completely open world.

Anyone else hoping for fantasy mods?

(Note: I'm in no way suggesting they should make the game into a fantasy game, it looks great so far. This is for the discussion of if you think fantasy mods are doable and if you would use them.)

2. Conradian Moderator

Also, please can these mods go into SE as well? :woot: I'd love that.

3. Textor Junior Engineer

In Space Engineers, it isn't magic. It's the FORCE. Though it isn't the Force, because that would be a copyright infringement.

4. Captainfreedom Trainee Engineer

I'm expecting loads of dragons, Skyrim style. It's completely inevitable. Like you said but it would be kewl considering their plans for fire spreading like in real life. This would be cool

• Like Like x 1
  5. JTConsortium Apprentice Engineer

Who will create the first Beer Wench mod?

6. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

As much as I hate them, elves, so I can shoot them out of a trebuchet and into a castle wall.

I imagine people will be making a bunch of skins so they can be other races.

7. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Which variety of elf are you thinking of? Because there are seriously dozens of different types based upon what kind of lore you look at.

8. Alpha_Squad Trainee Engineer

If there are handheld ranged weapons in the game, then someone could mod a weapon with the model of a magical tome and it would shoot out a magical looking projectile. While a mana based system may be difficult, but the tome could instead consume pages as ammunition.

9. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Just about any. But the D&D variety has always managed to be a PIMA fairly consistently.

10. 0z1k Apprentice Engineer

I'm looking forward to the potential for crossovers (castle blocks in SE, hand drills in ME, etc.)

As for the inevitable fantasy mods, It seems the possibilities for player models and reskins is a lot more robust than SE. The variety of iconic third party melee weapons for the mod community to port in is pretty extensive! (Minecraft weapons, light-sabres, Skyrim weapons, Mjolinr, The Master Sword, Halo energy swords, Frostmourn, Chain swords....)

Depending on the API, magic might be harder to implement.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  11. Textor Junior Engineer

"Now, don't forget, if you place the foundation of your castle wrong, we can just use the grinder to remove it."

12. Percy Trainee Engineer

It is not the FORCE, it is the FORK!!! May the FORK be with you Duke Landwalker!! Or was it Duke Landsitter?

13. LifriBjorson Trainee Engineer

I do like the idea of a restrictive medieval setting. It adds that kind of difficulty, where you think twice before using any materials or doing an action.

With magical stuff, in my opinion, the whole atmosphere should be changed into a more fantasy oriented environment, so structures and general props in the game world should be adapted.

14. K^2 Apprentice Engineer

How about a compromise? A steam punk mod. You know it has to happen.

15. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Watching the tech demo with the destruction stuff it might be easier than I though to mod in certain spells (like reskinned versions of the stuff that they used to tear down the prebuilt stuff) and maybe someone could add a second bar like health for mana.

16. Belthize Apprentice Engineer

I parsed that as 'skins out of other races'.

Hey that's a nice Elf cape you have there.

17. Bruce LeedleLeedleLeedleLee Junior Engineer

Undead Creatures for your Unholy ghost haunted castle-ruin to scare the **** out of the peasants of a annoyingly nice, and light-loving empire, anyone?

18. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

I would like dwarves running out of a mountain into battle (heheh the hobbit :woot:) and dragones who chase the dwarves out of the mountain... oh wait... again the hobbit :woot:

19. Textor Junior Engineer

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, you want a historically accurate game that lacks any and all fantasy elements and definitely isn't The Hobbit.

20. ZaCormyr Trainee Engineer

For this game, I don't care about magic or monsters or dungeon crawling.

But I do hope for full servers with people building towns and forts/castles to defend them in a RPG environment.. meaning mining and harvesting, crafting, farming, producing goods to sell at market etc etc all of which fueling the war between factions. It would be epic, if done properly.

21. darth_biomech Senior Engineer

i'd love to see "STEAMPUNK Engineers".

22. ZaCormyr Trainee Engineer

Steampunk engineers would be great too! Lots of liquids and basic electricity...

23. Geneticus Senior Engineer

I'd like to see a game that lets you kill other players, harvest them for meat, and wear their skins around as clothing.

24. Textor Junior Engineer

Right.

So, everyone, please take a few steps back from Geneticus. Try to stay out of arms reach, ok?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2015
  25. Geneticus Senior Engineer

No. Really. Here, I made a playable mockup. I'll show you. It's right over there in that not-suspicious-in-any-way dilapidated van behind those dumpsters. Oh, and if you wouldn't mind really quick, could you put this lotion on your skin?

26. Steelpanther Apprentice Engineer

Why does that lotion smell like BBQ sauce?

27. Murasame Trainee Engineer

I want Airships.

28. Hammer Trainee Engineer

Someone mentioned on another thread about maybe using ME for D&D. It wouldn't be absolutely necessary for someone to create animated monsters and NPC's. It would be just excellent if someone could model numerous, various lifesize (in game lifesize) figurines that an in-game Dungeon Master could just plop down on a map, in the woods, in an indoor room, or caverns carved out of the earth, laying them out as needed before his players. The DM should be able to pick them up and move them around as needed to match the events as it happens. It would be like table top D&D and being shrunk down to fit on the table top to stand next to the figurines.

29. WereBottle Apprentice Engineer

Watching some of the build stuff I got kind of a dark souls vibe from the buildings, only with happier lighting. Although I doubt the combat will be as good.

If NPC's are introduced then I imagine zombies will be the easiest to mod in, and probably most humanoid enemies.

30. Merinsan Apprentice Engineer

I want elves. So I can bring my WoW character back to life! Would be great if I could play as an elf.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.