Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The insectoid burrowers of the alien planet

Discussion in 'General' started by Thermonuklear, Jul 4, 2018.

?

What should we call them?

1. Space Spiders

3 vote(s)
    11.5%
  2. Space Ants

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Alien Lizards

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. ET Scorpions

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Sabiroids

22 vote(s)
    84.6%
  6. You tell me!

1 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Let's settle this once and for all: What do we call our six-legged alien friends?

Sabiroid seems to be quite established, but some call them spiders or ants. The head looks a bit like it's been modeled after some random dinosaur, so lizards wouldn't be out the question, either. I guess the design is a kitbash of familiar animal parts...

Personally, I prefer calling them Sabiroids because they are an alien life form. Or that's what we are told at least... Some official lore wouldn't hurt, you know! :D

2. Dax23333 Junior Engineer

Sabiroids is best name.

3. Roxette Senior Engineer

I call mine Derek.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2018
  4. Sarekh Senior Engineer

Winston

5. Calaban Junior Engineer

IMHO they are alien. Holding no relevance to any Earth genome or phylotype, we are left with descriptive classification.

Sabiroid could = Saber-Droid.. or "sword armed hive soldier drones".. if you like.

Or we could use olde Latin, or even Sumerian to fancy up the name a bit: Sabir=Patient oid =Animal-sub type, which would be an patient ambush predator subtype of critter... which actually fits!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Anyone who plays the game, but doesn't visit the forum or wiki, will see the current in-game names "Spiders" or "Space Spiders", depending on where you look (options menu or factions menu). This is a fact which doesn't depend on opinions.

7. Smokki Trainee Engineer

Sabiroid is really nice name for them, and I refuse to call them ants or spiders or anything found on earth :p

8. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Even in space, if it looks like a duck...

9. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Placeholder name perhaps?
    Like, people don't name their kids "You Sure You Pulled It Out In Time" or "Harder Deeper"...

10. Arcturus Senior Engineer

The Oxygen Farm isn't called "Solar Hydroponics". The Air Vent isn't known as the "Oxygen Pressurizer", though it does have those words on the model texture. The Arc Furnace was originally released as the "Blast Furnace", but a hotfix in the very same update changed it to Arc Furnace (again, the texture still says "Blast Furnace" and the data files list that as well).

If KSH decides in the future to change the in-game name to something else, I will back that change and be OK with it as long as their support messaging is consistent with the in-game content. The data files don't need to match, because only modders see them. It is annoying when the KSH PR people (it was just The Streamer at the time) appease the community memes without updating the game.

11. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Billy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Thermonuklear Junior Engineer

Hey I remember that, had tons of fun imagining how a blast furnace would work in zero G...

Naming stuff must be pretty far down the priority list(and that's the way it should be). Whatever the name will be in the future, it has to end with an - id or - oid. All the cool aliens are something - id. Cybernoid, Triffids, Silacoid, what else... Used to play Oids on the old ST...

13. Sirhan Blixt Apprentice Engineer

Spiders from Mars

14. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Sabroids is a good name but I would imagine that Spider would be a good enough nickname even if anatomically incorrect.

15. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

How about sabertooth cooties?

16. Burstar Apprentice Engineer

Ammo Sponges

• Like Like x 2
  17. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

If I remember correctly, term Sabiroid was born on a hype train at some point before planets release.
    There was a teaser showing shadow of some creature and of course community's imagination run wild.
    Asteroids infested by space spiders were speculated.
    So spider + asteroid -> Sabiroid.

Which is my preference as well. Going against nickname given by press (or in this case SE forums) is hard work :p

Discussions of SE fauna taxonomy, unicorns and semantics of English language - forums have become entertaining again :)
    More entertainment, less Serious Business of Arguing on Internet.

• Like Like x 2
  18. Roxette Senior Engineer

There's still the balance issue, having spiders without a flamethrower weapon is just wrong.

• Agree Agree x 8
  19. Arcturus Senior Engineer

As far as I can tell, this is the origin, when someone found the 3D model file unannounced in the folders: https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/1-096-new-files-and-hidden-stuff.7366525/#post-1286822309
    The 3D model and texture files were originally titled "Sabiroid". So people, myself included, initially started calling them "Sabiroids". Since then some switched to "SE_spider". Currently about half are one way and half are the other way.

Updates 1.104 and 1.106 (pre-planets) included "scary" teasers:
    https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/...utorial-unlocking-revised-tutorial-1.7370385/
    https://forums.keenswh.com/threads/update-01-106-pistons-performance-improvements-bugfixes.7371681/

The teasers were the first official appearance of the critters, but didn't refer to them using any names.

Following that, in an October 2017 developer stream, the devs only used the words "spiders" to refer to the teased critters, and described them as a special kind of spider, alien spider rather than earthlike, when asked why they only had 6 legs.

Note in some data files like Characters_animals.sbc, you can see both versions, but sabiroid only comes up in context with parts of the 3D model (bones) that are not easy to retroactively change:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <Definitions xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
      <Characters>
      <!-- Space spider black -->
    	<Character>
    	  <Id>
    		<TypeId>MyObjectBuilder_Character</TypeId>
    		<SubtypeId>Space_spider_black</SubtypeId>
    	  </Id>

<AnimationController>Space_spider</AnimationController>

<Name>Space_spider_black</Name>
    	  <Model>Models\Characters\Wildlife\SE_spider_black.mwm</Model>	 
    	  <DeathSoundName>ArcBotSpiderDeath</DeathSoundName>
    	  <LoopingFootsteps>true</LoopingFootsteps>
    	  <PhysicalMaterial>Spider</PhysicalMaterial>
    	  <Mass>100</Mass>
    	  <MaxHealth>20</MaxHealth>
    	  <LootingTime>45</LootingTime>
    	  <Skeleton>Arachnid</Skeleton>
    	  <EnableFirstPersonView>false</EnableFirstPersonView>
    	  <SpineBone>Sabiroid_Dummy</SpineBone>
    	  <AnimationMappings>
    		<Mapping Name="Idle" AnimationSubtypeName="IdleSpider1" />
    		<Mapping Name="Run" AnimationSubtypeName="WalkSpider" />

I get the impression that the SE team internally thinks of them as "spiders". The original 3D model contract/freelance artist (no longer with KSH) probably had the reason for the other name.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Calaban Junior Engineer

If I recall... hmm... was it a thing... ever?

..I have the odd memory/notion that at the beginning release, Sabiroids would unburrow and attack you.... on asteroids! It gave us terror moments when using asteroid tunnels/caves for our bases.

Well, here is hoping that notion returns... where some asteroids out there are claimed by the Great Tarantula Faction. If I cannot have Space Sharks with frickin laser beams in their forhea... ([blink blink] woa.. where did that come from?) then at least gimme space spider infested asteroids... maybe around all uranium, ice, and platinum deposits

• Like Like x 1
  21. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

YES!!! You're the best evil son an evil megalomaniac genius could ever want!!

22. Arcturus Senior Engineer

IIRC, there was a bug where if anyone was on the alien planet or its moon, the critters could spawn on any active voxel surfaces in the game.

We do have a space whale with Captain Spacebeard's treasure.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. SileniusFF Apprentice Engineer

Wow. That is very informative and way more plausible than my "interpretation" of what i saw and remember.

Yeah. We need spider asteroids. With lasers, rail guns, nukes and nasty attitudes:
    "All your ship are belong to us!"

24. Stardriver907 Master Engineer

Well, if they wanted them to be spiders, they should have given them eight legs. Calling a six-legged bug a spider is like calling a dolphin a fish. Even if it's not actually an insect, but some kind of reptile/mammal/amphibian mashup, "spider" describes a bug with eight legs.

25. Arcturus Senior Engineer

Found the dev livestream from just before planets release (Oct 2015):

Also a designer, Tomas Rampas, answers a few questions, including the six legs comment at 1:08:12 onwards.

26. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

The video reminds me of a Calvin & Hobbes comic where Calvin is giving a book report to his school class on bats. "Dusk! With a creepy, tingling sensation, you hear the flutter of leather wings! BATS! With glowing red eyes and glistening fangs, these unspeakable giant bugs drop onto..." And the classes unified response, "BATS AREN"T BUGS!!"

• Like Like x 2
  27. Calaban Junior Engineer

But bats can bug you!

Some even say that their "always turn only left when exiting a cave" is a bit.. buggy.

28. 4RC Trainee Engineer

Border Crossers :^)

29. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Bowie?

30. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Talk about a blast from the past...