Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Latest Twitch

Discussion in 'General' started by Samulus, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. frannic Apprentice Engineer

@Xocliw while you are reading on the forums anyway, i wanted to ask something.
    When the Marek livestream thingy is going on, is that your free time, or are you working?

2. PurrfectBlinky Trainee Engineer

I quite liked the brainstorm and reflection stream, gave a lot of expressions of things we as a community have been saying for a while on the forums. Don't see it as a lack of interest, more of a development session for the team and the community!

3. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

Ironically @Xocliw not a single person here, there or indeed anywhere is doubting YOUR word :)

Just so long as your word remains to be non bird related ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Aracus Senior Engineer

Yes indeed, Xocliw,
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Marek put it on Youtube~

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  6. KissSh0t Master Engineer

Intermission Music for @Xocliw

It may be copyrighted hey :woot:

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. vymasteny_pankac Apprentice Engineer

oh god, i just watched last minutes of that stream..... how stupid i was....
    please, don't let Marek damage the game just because he don't know how to play it.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Sergeant Snuggles Junior Engineer

If @Xocliw gets a theme tune then by the power of greyskull Marek gets the Imperial March as his :D
    Of course naturally, given his gameplay incompetence he does not warrant the "official" version....

• Funny Funny x 3
  9. Wizlawz Master Engineer

10. Nickvr68 Junior Engineer

Yeah, Marek's suggestions to dumb down the game are disturbing.

• Agree Agree x 10
  11. ltdan83 Apprentice Engineer

I have been a huge fan of this game for almost 2 years and have hundreds of hours into it. More if you count the time spent bored at work reading and posting on the forums. I have recommended and even purchased the game for many of my friends. I am very worried about where this game is going. There have been a number of features that have been talked about in dev blogs and streams that are no where to be found on the road map.
    Things like missions and character goals, new weapons, food, compound blocks, npcs(not dogs or spiders that use the most simple ai and pathing I have probably ever seen in a game), Structural integrity, new models for existing blocks, LoD for existing blocks and more. I know Marek thinks these things can all be filled in with mods but that causes a huge problem. Mods get abandoned. We were also told that the game would eventually be optimized and we would get multi-threaded support. I could name a hundred features and fixes that should happen before the game goes gold. I feel like this game and its dev team is starting to make the fatal mistake of pushing the game out the door before it is ready.

The other problem is that the leadership has no clue what is going on with his own product. I can promise that if the game stays as it is the reviews are going to get bad. When I'm looking for a game on steam and the reviews are mixed I just pass on it. I know a lot of companies go through this same issue. The owner/ceo starts the company and is heavily involved with the creation of the product or service. As the company grows that person is called on to do more work in their office than actually working with the product. Henry Ford helped design and build his first automobile. You wouldn't really expect him to be on the shop floor assembling cars after the company is up and running would you? This is the same here. Marek is the CEO, not the Lead Designer. Let the people you hired do the jobs you hired them to do.

Sorry for the wall of text but this has gone from my favorite game to a mismanaged mess. Fix it now before it gets worse.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Wizlawz Master Engineer

13. d3x0r Apprentice Engineer

So Marek played some of a mission in minerwars; what about playing the endgame when you get to jump on the system map. That System map I thought was pretty good technology; but couldn't find a video of ti even; because everyone was in the playthrough mode... and it's really an endgame when you've beaten the levels and had an open world map to explore....
    kinda wish more was done on that level (automated encounters? random missions? A shared system map??)

14. StuffYouFear Apprentice Engineer

just the look of shock on all the Devs faces at 2:56......

15. Spets Master Engineer

necroing...?

16. WhiteWeasel Senior Engineer

And from that point on, Xocliw announces that marek rosa is going on an 'indefinite vacation', and MarekBot is going to fill in his place.

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Mix-martes86 Senior Engineer

That doesn't look new, so, what's the purpose for the resurrection? ???

18. Spets Master Engineer

Today/yesterday, Marek was playing and old version of SE from oct 2013

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. mrax Apprentice Engineer

I only can remember this: "BRING BACK LADDERS!":mad:
    But the more important question should be: "Who was sabotaging SE and ME!?" (Or has done something for a reason everybody forgot.)

20. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Two things.
    First: expect alternative Textures or simply a return to the old Textures reeeal soon.
    Second: ╠═══╣

21. Spets Master Engineer

what you mean? to be honest, I never used ladders, even though I had the game in that version and never noticed the ladders or needed to use them, only a few times and just 1 or 2 projects I wished ladders were a thing.
    Do people really need ladders in SE, I dont think so. This exaggerated obsession is a lie...

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  22. BlackUmbrellas Senior Engineer

It's a pretty reasonable desire. Compact access shafts between decks, or up to hard-to-reach spaces, or whatever, without the use of the jetpack, is pretty basic functionality.

• Agree Agree x 4
  23. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

I always end up needing a ladders on my ships. Has to do mainly with liking to make compact designs, aka as wanting to put too much in so little space and ending with a clusterf**k of components all around.

Single block functional elevators would do nice too.

• Agree Agree x 4
  24. Spets Master Engineer

like if the use of the jetpack for 2 seconds will do something... is even faster and convenient. I only have one ship or 2 that "maybe" a ladder will just look better, but since that is an entrance/exit it will be an slow pain annoyance to have ladders there. I also have an asteroid base, and ladders will only save me 2 o 3 blocks of space, that I actually dont need to save because the hangar is huge. I understand most people want it for aesthetic maybe, or roleplay? but I dont understand this over exaggerated obsession(?).
    for example. The ISS doesnt have ladders, they just float. Every(not all maybe dont remember) Sci Fi movie I watched they have elevators. wait yea, I saw some ladders in the engineering area of Alien perhaps.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  25. Light_gemini Junior Engineer

Most scifi ships have ladders. In "refined" ships like Star trek ladders are found in tight spaces for access by maintenance techs. In other more "crude" ships ladders are everywere.

As for the jetpack, I believe it should be banned from using it inside ships. Atleast with the ones with grav gens. In my case ladders are more than welcome, while in yours ladders are not needed. We all play the way we like and thats fine.

• Agree Agree x 5
  26. mrax Apprentice Engineer

Last time I checked there was an option to play without a jetpack. The only possibility with this option enabled is to use ramp block or the stair block, which both are too big for my designs. I could also use the sloped armor block or the sloped window/vent block but both are not intended for this use and if they are they are not visually pleasing for this purpose (at least thats how I think about them). Therefore I have to use a mod or the jetpack. The usage of jetpacks is something I do not prefer to do inside ships and stations just because it appears like being "cheating", even if they need hydrogen. I know jetpacks are necessary to build, but Marek said in the stream they were originally locked to a very low speed because they did not want people to always fly around, they intended that they walk, which is in my opinion a better option. Mods are a possibility, but there are also many people out there who do not want to use them for some reason, but still a game should not depend on mods for such a basic functionallity as "climbing". (You can also build "traps" with ladders. For example a turret awaiting intruders at the end of the ladder (they have only one way to leave them). So intruders will be forced to face the turret before gaining access to the ship.)

27. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Yes.
    It's not just the convenience factor - especially in Survival i wouldn't want to waste fuel on what could be done with a ramp, or, to save space, a ladder or an elaborate Grav Gen setup - but also an immersion factor. Yeah, Treebeard's running around with his suit at all times, now including the damn helmet. But is that realistic? It's an EVA suit and the ships aren't made from tissue paper; realistically Treebeard would take off the suit if he at all intents to stay on board for a prolonged period of time. The suit is bulky, the Jetpack probably weighs a lot and unless the Robot-theory is true Treebeard's not hauling some hydraulic joints around that would help carry it. It's a waste of energy on his body's part, it's a waste of energy having to keep it's systems running at all times and while the Jetpack is a nice bonus in case he gets blown out an airlock during a battle the reasons not to carry one outweigh the reasons to do so.

I maintain that SE would benefit for a Turbolift system that uses (code-wise) dedicated Conveyor-variants (for realism) and modified Cryo Chambers (for respawn, or, rather, "entering and leaving") to simulate moving parts without actually using parts.

I wouldn't go that far. But i could see an option to vastly reduce suit speed on the inside working. You don't need 100m/s to ascend a Passage block. Considering how often i bump into walls at high speeds (shit, i use them for breaking maneuvers) in Creative...

• Agree Agree x 3
  28. MisterSwift Apprentice Engineer

To be fair, they can move around by pushing off surfaces to maneuver, something we can't do in SE. How often do you see people moving around inside spaceships with jetpacks or EVA gear?

Ladders might not be necessary if you're okay with constantly using your jetpack, or if your ship design is largely horizontal, but if you're building your ship vertically (so that gravity is pointing in the same way your main ship thrusters are) a huge chunk of your ship's interior is going to end up being devoted to stairwells, which leads to your designs being bigger than they have to, which can be a problem if you're playing survival and want to keep resource costs down as low as possible. Off the top of my head, other examples I can think of where ladders are used instead of stairs are tower cranes, cellphone masts, and storage tanks.

It's not eaxctly the most gamebreaking feature we're missing right now, but it would be nice to get them back in vanilla, some day...

29. Spets Master Engineer

well, if there is a place I will put ladders that would be an station, more likely an industrial one, coz modern station will use elevators instead or stairs.
    Let's put here some images of your creations where you think ladders would be more convenient, shall we?

30. KissSh0t Master Engineer

The newest one is up.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.