Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The Physical Shapes Limit

Discussion in 'General' started by Kihia, May 28, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Kihia Trainee Engineer

Does Keen have any intention of raising this value? I mean I understand that the current 65,653 ish limit can be hard to reach but I know have 2 builds that cannot be completed to vision because they hit this limit. One is meant top be my own personal masterpiece of a ship project(and something I have been working on and off with since the games first release)(just know she is a beaut), but now my station build might have an issue as well unless I take off the two additional large ship docks.

So like I said before does anyone know if Keen may raise the value at all?

2. Malware Master Engineer

"Intention" doesn't come into it. It's a limitation of the physics engine. Having that many physics primitives in a single model is highly unusual.

They can't raise the limit because the limit is not in their code.

3. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

I've only banged up against that limit once, and by then moving around the ship was like swimming in molasses. Increasing the limit wouldn't have made performance increase.

4. Kihia Trainee Engineer

So in short for the design I can alter(my station) so meets this limitation but for the other is there no way I can finish it?(for the record both builds doesnt affect my gameplay that drastically imo(largely thanks to my comp)) I dont care if it ever can be deemed useable I just wana finish the darn thing, she is approx 90% finished with just some of the top sections of the hull being unfinished(aside from possibly filling out the unused empty spaces with a mixture of light and heavy armor.

Im at the point where it just barely hits the physical shapes cap, with the amount going up and down as I try to find a fix, anyone have any ideas or suggestions as to what causes the biggest strain on that value?

Approx max Dimensions are as follows btw: L:236 W: 215 H: 78

5. Malware Master Engineer

Anything not armor will add a fair amount. Non-uniform slopes and non-planar armor sections add a fair bit. I don't know if uniform sloped sections are optimized so I can't guarantee that. If you're using armor mods, very few of those are actually armor just armor shaped models, so they won't be part of the game's internal armor optimization, and thus will add much more to this limit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

How about using a connector somewhere where it can barely be seen. So essentially using 2 grids connected by a connector.

7. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Connectors will work for non-essential parts of a ship, but you can't control thrusters across a connector.

8. SirConnery Apprentice Engineer

Well for the station build it might work since you won't be needing thrusters. Building the ship with this tactic is a bit harder.
    --- Automerge ---
    Btw, what happens if you merge two grids, making them too big? Does it not just merge or will things go boom-boom.

9. Kihia Trainee Engineer

Say Malware, would you be up for possible giving this monster build a look and see if you can give me any advice on its hopefully final rush to completion?

10. Theurgist Trainee Engineer

I built a set of modular ship sections, it worked pretty well, even on servers. Surprisingly. The modules connected to each other via Connector+landing gear for safety. I have a remote control on the engine section so you can pilot it from the other sections fine

11. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

My fleet is designed to be merged together. A few months ago I had all my ships together and was attempting to add to my main ship and hit the physical limit. Had to un-merge to finish.

I've gotten away with a lot because my ships tend to be squarish, and the limits are more favorable for bricks.

12. Malware Master Engineer

You don't want me anywhere near your magnum opus, friend :D I may have some technical knowhow but I have the design capability of a rock.

13. Kihia Trainee Engineer

14. Malware Master Engineer

@Kihia They are - but there are limits as to how much they can be optimized. The optimization method itself can't be too complicated or that will be the bottleneck slowing down the game, so you won't get perfect optimization. So there's a balance and a compromise. In this case, these parts aren't removed because doing so would cause world holes in certain configurations.

As you see, some surfaces are optimized on them as you can't see the whole block.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Commander Rotal Master Engineer

Depends on the whims of the engine, honestly. Most of the time the game will just freeze or crash. If you're only beyond the Warning-limit Keen implemented it will probably merge but you'll start getting some rather nasty physics problems (primarily ghost armor blocks which in Survival could REALLY mess up your day). Super-old builds that go beyond the Warning-limit may not even load, or will load but present those physics problems.

And as Malware says, as sad as it is, there's nothing Keen can do about it because the Shape Limit is a limitation in Havok, not VRage. There's a bunch of other things Keen could do to help big builds out <.< but the Physical Shape Limit is unfixable for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

It kinda seems like you will hit the shape limit about five blocks before your build is completed.
    Now that you know what the limit is, perhaps you could modify what you have? Make some of the "fancy" parts less "fancy"?

17. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

HAHA! Yeah, I’ve had to do that!!

18. Roxette Senior Engineer

Citation needed :D

19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

This pig for the last ship-building contest: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1725747376

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.