Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The physics inquisition: a subfaction

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Martinineter, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Noncreative Trainee Engineer

Mass x Acceleration = A heretics pain

2. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

I'm working on the new logo right now... is this shape correct?
    [​IMG]
    Also, I'd like to change the color of the electrons to match our style better. Red or yellow, what do you think?

3. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

i would say its quite nice, maybe the electrons yellow and red, not orange but both colors.
    and is that blender?

4. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Yes, it is Blender, I'll render the images and video samples with Cycles, then texture it for the game and create a mod at least for ME, but I think the space needs Newton too.
    Edit: WIP, I'll start to add the electrons now
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2015
  5. Martinineter Senior Engineer

That.... actually looks quite nice.
    Can't wait to see the final product!

6. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Only the skull is missing right now, any suggestions? (Maybe it could be out of gold, etc.) Oh, and how many different versions do we need? I want to create a large one like this, a small one for signatures, a YouTube intro/outro for future usage, maybe a small badge, and of course the ingame item. Anything else?
    [​IMG]
    (I was modelling the electrons, trying to decide how should they look...)
    Edit: the bottom line was corrected immediately after rendering the image. Facepalm.

7. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Okay, I've found a way to use the previous, downloaded skull with a slight modification (aggressive eyes), so I didn't need to sculpt it. But now I'd like to ask the opinion of the Inquisition about the skull material before the final renders. I've made four versions, one with a bone-like material, one with gold, one with the red velvet of the Insignia, and one with silver. Hope you like it.
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Sorry for the spamming.

8. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I like the gold or silver personally.

9. Martinineter Senior Engineer

I also like both of those, not sure which of those 2 I prefer... It's so hard!

10. Wintersend Senior Engineer

It has been decided that the gold logo will be used. This was decided on the grounds that Martinineter's favorite Space Marines chapters are Ultramarines and Blood Ravens both of which contain gold among their main colors.

11. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Purge the unclean with our golden torture standart!

12. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Dammit... I've just rendered the silver version, but okay, wait an hour, and you'll get the golden one too. By the way here it is, a big, universal version, and a smaller one for signatures on this forum. (Background have been added to the small one for antialiasing purposes.)
    [​IMG]
    The small one will be in my signature in a moment, and I also have the PNG image sequence of this, so don't worry, full quality version is also available and will be released in the final package along with the source objects.

13. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Do all those large versions have some AA issues or is it just because of the 'fast(=lower quality)' render?

14. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

This AA issue you can see right here is because of the GIF format's one bit alpha. PNG versions doesn't have that, you can clearly see on the static pictures. I've added a background for this forum, because it's impossible to use a video here like this, but we know exactly what's the background color. The large picture is a universal one, it has transparent background, that's why aliasing is here on the edge. On the inside it's perfectly smooth, I've rendered it with 576 samples per pixel, nothing on this model can result strange artifacts in that quality.

15. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Here is the golden version, I think it looks more consistent, but the skull on the other one was more significant.
    [​IMG]
    Also here are the small versions for signatures, profile pictures, and stuff:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    A random wallpaper is coming in about 17 minutes if Blender is right and I will be at the keyboard when it finishes rendering. Then I'll go to the video templates...

16. Martinineter Senior Engineer

That thing looks really nice, I do agree on the consistency part. It also makes the golden reflection on the skull look less 'out of place'.

Just waiting for the random wallpaper now!

17. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Here it is... it looks like the lighting didn't end up well at the text, somehow the preview render was different. Nevermind, I'm starting the intro... I'll get a new computer case in a few days with better cooling, when it happens, I'll be able to leave my PC to render bigger things at the night.
    [​IMG]

18. Wintersend Senior Engineer

That is a cool looking background/wallpaper

19. Martinineter Senior Engineer

God, I love that quote. Very nice that you have put it into your truly awesome and skillfull wallpaper.
    The 3d effect is really paying off!

Also: I updated the OP

20. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Thanks, does it mean that it's the official Insignia? If so, I think the source files should be released as soon as they're ready... I've limited my 3.6 GHz CPU to 3 GHz for better cooling, now testing the performance with random renders, hoping it'll be ready for the night, because the intro is already animated. I don't like to release unfinished stuff, but as soon as something is stable, you will instantly get it. Like the image sequence, if you'd like to use the Insignia in a video, that has better AA and stuff:
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6HFUqHH97LFZ1BtclV0N2IwbWM/view?usp=sharing
    Good news: while writing this post my CPU finally reached a stable temperature, meaning it won't turn off randomly. Now I'm calculating the highest possible render quality that can get ready for tomorrow.
    By the way, just a quick question: which one would you prefer, a fully featured, colored, metal-carpet-stuff insignia or a stone badge in Medieval Engineers?
    Oh, and here is a large but stationary Insignia. Just a side effect of the rendering test, one frame from the intro, without the background.
    [​IMG]

21. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Not sure, why not both :)
    Your cpu may not yet rest...

22. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Exactly the answer I've expected... okay, how many Newton portraits (peace upon him) should the Inquisition modpack contain? And another question: do we have a motto?
    My CPU will rest less tonight than the most vicious heretic in our deepest chamber of eternal torture

23. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Okay, random pic from the intro:
    [​IMG]
    It'll take 21 hours to render it in the quality shown on the picture according to my calculations

24. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Before today, I had NO idea that it took things that long to render.

25. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Only if you use Cycles-like things... with Blender's internal rendering engine it would be done in an hour, maybe two. But it wouldn't look twentieth as nice as this. The basic idea of Cycles is simple, you shoot rays from the camera, and when it hits an object, it has a shader which colors the ray and decides where to bounce it off, with some controlled randomness. Then the same thing happens a few more times, and at the end the engine calculates the final color by the data the shaders gave it. That's how it works in a nutshell. The problem is almost as simple as the idea: this randomness which is capable for the lighting you've already seen on the Insignia is pretty noisy, so you need to shoot a plenty of different rays from the camera. These are randomized in the pixel (which creates a nice antialiasing effect) and each bounce point is also random, so they'll be different, and with a lot of rays you'll get the same color as a real camera could see. The more rays you use the more clear the image will be. I'm using 144 rays in the intro for each pixel at each of the 420 frames in Full HD resolution, that's a lot of work for the CPU. The Insignia render was made with 576 samples, and big movie productions you can see in the cinemas use more than 10000 rays, with far more polygons and stuff. How can they even render it? Easy: server farms. A single computer could never render Frozen or How to Train Your Dragon 2...

26. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

INTROTIME

Image sequence and Blender video editor template files are coming in the full pack. Now I'm thinking about the outro animation...
    Quick fact: there are 9190 (probably unique) views on the little golden skulled signature Insignia...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  27. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Damn, that looks awesome!

28. Ingenio Ingens Apprentice Engineer

I'm impressed

But I wouldn't mind more smoke and explosions and fire. Just saying.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Nice, only criticism I have is that I think that the just electrons spinning around the logo goes on for a second or two too long.

30. Ingenio Ingens Apprentice Engineer

And they aren't exploding or on fire

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.