Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The physics inquisition: a subfaction

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Martinineter, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Martinineter Senior Engineer

We need more explosions and fire! And smoke! And burning heretics!
    And maybe try to move all those electron orbits at once instead of one after another, just a slight naggy annoyance

2. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

The explosions, fire, and smoke thing is actually possible, I'll try to do something... however, I think it'll increase the render time. The movement of electron orbits is style deep down somewhere, it just doesn't look cool if I move them all at once. (I admit this isn't the good thing too, but only a Sith deals in absolutes. Somehow the animations didn't overlap at a certain point.) And I could actually create a shortened version, I know exactly the loop length in frames (it's the Answer...), so dropping a few wouldn't be a problem. As soon as we find some intro music, I'll adjust the length...
    Edit: okay, I can modify that piece of animation, it's only 70 frames, will be rendered at the night

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2015
  3. Wintersend Senior Engineer

What kind of music are you looking for for the intro? As in, what sort of genre or feel would you want to go for.

4. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Some kind of short, but epic battle music to represent the Inquisition. We should really get an anthem somehow... isn't there a genius composer by any chance?

5. Martinineter Senior Engineer

42?

6. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Correct. Your reward is three heretics to torture.
    By the way sadly the fire thing is extremly intense, I don't think we could use it unless we rent a render farm...

7. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Or the new intel xeon phi... 60 cores!

8. Ed Frost Senior Engineer

https://youtu.be/0ogNiidt6QA something like this maybe?
    edit:
    or this https://youtu.be/V6C44IRmCYU

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2015
  9. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Nope, that's good music, but too bright for this. In my opinion we need something like this:

There's already some choir, now we only need a poet to write our anthem and a few people who sing it...

10. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

Brother DeeSnow97, that's very inspiring and inspired work on the glorious insignia :).

11. SenorZorros Master Engineer

May I suggest some Epica, if only for the beautiful irony
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR6aKhnAcFA

12. Bullethead Apprentice Engineer

13. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Here's a design that The Sacred Order of the Pink Flamingo will share with the Physics Inquisition. I call it the Mobile Tactical Base. This version is unmarked on the outside or inside but I will add banners. It is also currently lacking an effective braking system, it continually rolls forward slowly until it hits something, but I'm working on that.

Inside it has 6 beds, several viewing/firing ports, 1 on either side, 2 in front, and a big one in front for a panoramic view. Additionally, there is a rear gate which can be lowered from the inside to allow access and egress from the vehicle. It also has slopes in front to protect the wheels from incoming enemy fire. Finally it has 4 broadside catapults, 2 on either side in additional firing ports. For these there are a total of 42 additional shots held within 4 containers inside the vehicle. Interesting side not about the projectiles, they don't have great range but continue to roll at a good clip after impact.

It is 3x4 large blocks in size discounting the front slope and wheels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If/ when we get ladders and a better way to make ballista there will be a ladder in the central section leading up to a swivel mounted ballista to provide some offensive capability against attackers from the front and rear.

It will however still be vulnerable at close range since this isn't exactly the fastest thing out there.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2015
  14. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

May I humbly suggest O Fortuna?

15. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

This is PERFECT (at least in my opinion)... it's epic, a little bit dark while also being bright enough to show the glory of Newton (peace upon him), and even compatible with the medieval ages while scares the pink flamingo out of anyone who hears it in the space... I'm voting to this as the anthem of the Inquisition.
    Could someone write inquisitional lyrics for that, or just get a good quote?

16. SenorZorros Master Engineer

It came second place in my list of stuff to post so I agree it is a good one.

Edit,
    after looking at the lyrics I do fear that they need some changing however
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18990_6-pieces-music-that-mean-opposite-what-you-think.html

17. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

While I agree with the "how lame the church/government is" part (remember, they tried to stop Newton, that's heresy) and several others, it does contain inappropriate content. But what if we just write our own poems and get a few people to sing it? I'm sadly not a good poet nor an acceptable singer, but I've seen inquisitors with an artistic edge, and it's actually possible to render the sound of a choir or if someone has a good voice, sing it a few times forming a choir alone, and put it together with some software.

18. SenorZorros Master Engineer

My writing is not the worst though far from any professional level. my singing however can be weaponized.
    But I think it could work if you could find the people.

19. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Side note: I've just found an instrumental-only version of O Fortuna, so we can put basically any lyrics on it

Edit: Oh, and here are the original lyrics, to be used as a sample for the new one:
    http://artists.letssingit.com/carl-orff-lyrics-o-fortuna-qv7jvh2#axzz3Vg6dO5UY
    It's Latin, we've learned this for two years in school... if someone could write the Newtonian one in English I'd use the mighty Google, look up stuff and do my best to translate it

20. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

I've started to set up a subforum here, if you could contact me on Steam for accounts, the root password, and stuff, that would be great (and currently the only way to prove that you're an inquisitor). I've also created a GMail account (newtonianjustice@gmail.com) and a YouTube channel is also planned. There is no content currently, waiting for discussion...

21. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Well, that is quite ambitious, sounds like a plan.

22. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Who doesn't have plans to take over the world?

23. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

I'm just here to announce that our subforum is up and running!
    [​IMG]
    Also, I've remade an old recruitment ad...

24. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Well, we recruite people here, that forum is a trusted ground for inquisitors to talk without prying eyes.

Also, where is the ad, it seems to be removed...

25. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

26. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Alright, that site has some hardcore ads and popups... Nice picture though!

27. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

Okay, changed to Imgur... it looks like there is no good alternative

28. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

Unfortunately, Imgur is really the only good image hosting site.

29. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

HERETIC SPOTTED:
    Sampo0:
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=409855243&searchtext=
    He has violated the 3rd Sacred Law. He must be punished.
    Worse yet, he has released his pollution to the Steam Workshop, so that it may spread like a cancer and convert more to his cause!

30. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

That's an actual invention, he worked a lot with this... it's really difficult to decide if it's heresy or not, because it's not designed to give people unfair advantage, but it can be used for that. I don't see why is it bad, by publishing it on the workshop it will be just a stronger thrust, nothing special. Creativity is still needed to use this, and speed is not a so great thing in SE since it's limited

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.