Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The physics inquisition: a subfaction

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Martinineter, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I personally never understood what all the hype about commercial space travel is. it's nothing more than an expensive joke.

• Like Like x 1
  2. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

It's what's going to make sure humanity doesn't die horribly if an asteroid hits earth. Or we render it uninhabitable to us. Or any other multitude of scenarios which leads to earth being uninhabitable for humanity. Or uninhabitable period. In addition, since the government has decided to basically defund NASA, it's the only way we will get into space.

3. SenorZorros Master Engineer

well... I think the government never supported NASA. in other news ESA is getting 74.7 million from the gouvernent ;).
    sorry... couldn't resist.

but I think the slightly higher paraglides most commercial agencies are doing will not really support space that much. there just isn't that much to get except for ridiculously overpriced tourism.

4. Wintersend Senior Engineer

The thing we really need to do before being concerned with manned spaceflight to other planets is terraforming. Even something as simple as shooting packets of moss and lichen to Mars would be a start. They don't really need much to survive but would still aid in building up the atmosphere for more demanding plants and perhaps very small organisms. Terraforming would definitely take hundreds of years which is why we need to get started now as opposed to worrying about it when we actually need to inhabit another planet for some reason.

Also, generational colony ships, although we aren't quite there yet, don't have enough easy manufacturing technology yet, mostly though we just need to deal with providing food and improving 3D printers to be able to recycle and reproduce any part we need during the several hundred year journey.

Basically the problem is doing anything related to space takes a really long time and people are generally dreadfully short-sighted and don't think we can or should do it unless we can do it a few times a generation. There seems to be a mentality of, "Well, why should we worry about Alpha Centauri if we can't just take a few month trip over there and come back." I'm hoping a piece of upcoming technology helps solve that though. Cellular regeneration to potentially drastically increase lifespan, a few hundred years a least.

5. SenorZorros Master Engineer

I actually think venus may be a better option than mars since it is possible to ruin venus's atmosphere. making mars heavier is quite impossible. maybe we can use giant vacuums to transfer the atmosphere of venus to mars :).
    I also believe "free floating" sppace stations will be possible once we develop an adequate source of energy (read fusion).
    the final problem will be getting the stuff up in space. that is however just a case of building an elevator.

6. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

After you get to orbit, you're halfway to anywhere in the solar system. Literally. It takes stupid amounts of delta-v to get to orbit. Which is why we build space elevators.

7. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Yep, I believe that making a shipyard on the moon if nothing else would be a good idea since it would eliminate much of the needed fuel for a given trip and make it easier to set up supply runs between planets.

8. SenorZorros Master Engineer

or above the moon ;)

9. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

Above, probably. Otherwise you just have the same problem of needing to get into orbit, albeit with a much lower cost.

10. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

Hail from the Tsardom of Russia. Unfortunately, we will not be allowing trade, as we believe that your beliefs are impure. We won't take any hostile action, as we have no cassus belli; just don't get in our way and we won't bother you. Good day.

11. SenorZorros Master Engineer

*waits for someone proclaiming not believing in newton is heresy and therefore an act of hostility.*

12. Wintersend Senior Engineer

Well, he did say he wasn't declaring war due to lack of a valid Causus Belli, and then provided one to us on a silver plate. I think he wants war.

13. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

Yes, but he wants to make us look like the aggressor. It would not be tactically sound to take the bait, but heretics must be purged by cleansing fire!

14. Wintersend Senior Engineer

So, give him a reason to declare war. Possibly encroaching on his territory in a server or taking a bit of unclaimed land in the middle of his lands that would technically be part of his county or duchy allowing him to declare war because he is technically the de jure liege of the area.

15. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

We don't trade either, if someone is a heretic, we attack him no matter who he is and who defends him. In that case we have the casus belli and we're still not aggressors. But if they do nothing wrong why would we need to declare war?

16. SenorZorros Master Engineer

for the official members of the inquisition your logic is way to straightforward.

calling the beliefs impure is calling newton impure is assaulting newton is an act of aggression therefore he is the agressor and the inquisition should counteract swift and at full force to cleanse this abomination lest it's influence grow...

17. DeeSnow97 Apprentice Engineer

By the way there is this tsardom with its mass crowd. Nothing more than the previous anti-inquisition...

18. Schnitzel Trainee Engineer

I haven't gotten around to updating it yet. I will.. someday.

19. Ingenio Ingens Apprentice Engineer

Now that MP is here, we can cleanse the evil from servers!

20. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

21. SonofEarl Trainee Engineer

With multiplayer out are we planning to create our own server in dedication of Newton or are we just going to spread his word throughout existing servers?

22. Martinineter Senior Engineer

That depends if we can get your hands on one.

23. SonofEarl Trainee Engineer

I had a quick look into it, one company offers 45 slots for £30 a month which isn't that unreasonable

24. SenorZorros Master Engineer

25. Wintersend Senior Engineer

I know not if they are serious or a joke. I believe it to be the later due to the fact that it is one person posting in general discussion. Therefore I believe it should be treated as a parody of the physics Inquisition.

26. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Should we sue?

27. Wintersend Senior Engineer

No, parody is protected speech.

28. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Damnit!
    Make sure that our 'lawyers' are on top of finding a 'legal' way to 'get rid of them'...

29. Wintersend Senior Engineer

i don't know, maybe when can incorporate them as a sub entity under the umbrella group of the Physics Inquisition.

30. Esmea Trainee Engineer

Well, Chemistry is a part of Physics... I don't see why conflict is needed when they just need a gentle push in the right direction.

also, what happened to the forums?

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.