Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

The physics inquisition: a subfaction

Discussion in 'Groups & Dedicated Servers' started by Martinineter, Jan 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Martinineter Senior Engineer

You mean the look? They migrated to new forum software

2. SenorZorros Master Engineer

it is a dark day...

3. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Indeed it was...

4. Nosocalypse Trainee Engineer

I sworn to get rid off gravity trolldrives from SE!
    So -
    Newton is love, Newton is life!
    Where I can get my new red uniform? I don't care that guy in red always die first!

5. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Head to our headquarters for a briefing and a portable heretic tracker, you shall recieve your uniform there.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

By the name of Newton, I hereby declare war upon every heretic who dares to defy the word of our lord and savior!
    Begone all internal thrusters!
    Begone all weapons behind armor!
    Together we will crush every heretic with the holy might of the Newtonian Laws!
    We will show those impostors our equal reaction to their law-breaking!
    We will show those impostors the power of our nice red uni-... of Newton!

Because Newton is love.
    Newton is life.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
    • Like Like x 3
  7. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

Since I've seen that the wiki site of the Physics Inquisition hasn't been updated for a long time, I took it in my hands to at least update the member list and the logo, further additions may come in the future, but for now I want to go to sleep ;) I hope everybody is okay with that (since I'm not a member yet). Well, why are you still reading? Don't you have heretics to tortu-... heretics to pass on to the masters of slightly uncomfortably accomodation? Hush, hush! :D
    EDIT: The table with the members was drastically different with the one displayed in this thread, so I just commented the table out if some of those members are still part of the Inquisition. The now shown member list contains the members at the first page of this thread

Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  8. Martinineter Senior Engineer

I welcome you to our just and hunble cause. I am also sorry for the delayed response dear newling, as I was busy schooling myself to better purge heretics with enhanced knowlegde.

I dearly hope to find the pile of burning heretical bodies in our inquisitorial yard to be growing thanks to you proving your worth.
    May the power of Newton compell those that seek to follow the dark physics defying ways!

9. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

Do not concern yourself with your late response, as I know that life can be quite busy sometimes - I myself am loaded with undertakings of mine *cough school cough*
    Nevertheless I would like to know if the member list on the first forum page is complete, because if so, I can edit some of the wiki text.

PS: Is the "master of slightly hard comprehensible code" position free? I would like to supply the holy Inquisition with some machines of enhanced heretic purging, like my yet unfinished automatic targetting system, aka. automatic heretic purger of minor impreciseness (AHPoMI).

10. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Offcourse it is, make way to the higher levels of the tower of ingenuity, fill out the form and get started.

11. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

Whew, I just slapped some updated content in the wiki page, it should be more or less right! Now if someone could give me a revised definition of heresy, since Medieval Engineers isn't included in the old one and I don't have time to write a new one (and have next to no knowledge about ME, I don't play it very much)

12. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Heresy is all acts that defy the common and logical rules of physics. Such as floating structures in a situation where it should fall (gravity) and indoor thrusters without any 'hole' for it's thrust to escape.
    Any such acts shall be seen as heresy if the creator:
    - Purposefully uses it to do harm to others.
    - Spreads the word of it's existence for any other purpose than to warn others.
    - Uses it to gain an unfair advantage over others.

Should any such act be witnessed (excluding cases in which it's solely focused on creating 'fun' in a single player environment, that in no possible way affects other players.), report it immediatly and it will be dealt with. Glitching, hacking or any other form of 'cheating' shall also be seen as heresy and inquisitorial steps shall be taken against any such man (of woman) that takes pride and joy in such activities. Small or accidental heretical activities can and shall be forgiven if said heretic shows true remorse and follows a 'trial by fire' (it's contents are decided by our Masters of turture as they see fit).

PS
    I've also changed the OP to reflect on your new function in our humble and just inquisition

13. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

I've now updated the definitions of heresy to the paragraph you have given me and added these sentences:
    "With these definitions in mind, we shall reference the statement in Section 4 - Why the Inquisitorial Squad Wants YOU!: "Note "more realistic" as opposed to "totally 100% accurate." ". The definitions of heresy NEVER stand in the way of fun. They protect the original idea of the games and the players who want to play the way our saviour Isaac Newton has shown them."

14. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Good idea, you are truly worthy of being a member of our great inquisition

15. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

I am honored *bow*

16. Reflexus Apprentice Engineer

I discovered this thread completely randomly, but I still can't help wondering if some people here got hit by an apple in the head or your simply bored :p

Or perhaps it was my head that met the apple, because I couldn't make any sense of the first post :p

17. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Do you know monty python?

If not, I suggest that you watch the 'the spanish inquisition'.
    Or else you shall feel the torment of the slightly uncomfortable chair of endured sitting!

18. Reflexus Apprentice Engineer

I've seen the spanish inquisition sketch, it was pretty nice. :)

Anyway it seems I misread a few parts of your introduction. My bad :p

19. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

In regard to todays release of planets I want to wish every follower of the way of Newton happy heretic hunting, for now they WILL be crushed not only by us, but also gravity - with no way to escape >: D After many weeks of absence due to educational reasons, I think I'll start the game again.
    Now let us be blown away by whatever KSH will achieve in the future!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Nobodyhasthis Apprentice Engineer

i am just going to post the following and run like hell :carlton:

Newton got it wrong. He could not get passed the false notion of absolute time. Stick that in your Einstein-Rosen Bridge :p

Oh they have got guns. Quick run away...:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Nosocalypse Trainee Engineer

Since no videogame actually uses Einstein's physics on every particle nor calculating speed of photons moving from game objects to virtual camera, I assume there is no physics in games at all, only simplistic simulation.
    BUT:
    If our beloved game declare speeds no more than 104m/s, forget about lightspeed, time-space and relativistic theory of gravitation. A simple Newton's model is enough to maintain a fair gameplay. And our Sacred Physics Crusade is actually against in-game magic and disbalance.

And now prepare to suffer some discomfort. Senior Inquisitor wants to wish you a pleasant day.

• Like Like x 2
  22. Nobodyhasthis Apprentice Engineer

Correct. It is only a game.

What games they can do is encourage us to think, learn and create. Keen Software wants games to promote science and to encourage creativity. They want to revive the interest in space exploration, physics, history and all STEM fields. The real power is your mind.

There is "magic" in the game but it is there for fun and to the limits of prediction set out by the writer Arthur C. Clarke . They are:

1. When a distinguished but elderly scientist states that something is possible, he is almost certainly right. When he states that something is impossible, he is very probably wrong.
    2. The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is to venture a little way past them into the impossible.
    3. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

:tu:
    With a quick added note that the slow maximum speed limit would not affect the space time distortion of a gravity field. Which can explain some in game effects quite well. There is the fun "magic" of sufficiently advanced technology that makes gravity generators, reactionless ion drives and jump drives possible in game. Just don't try them at a point in spacetime already curved by gravity. They stop working and nature takes over.

• Like Like x 1
  23. Nosocalypse Trainee Engineer

Yes, but if we have to add some "magick" technology, we should not make it game-breaker. Some of "superadvanced tech" implemented in game now just works as cheat without significant penalties (like The Blasphemous Trolldrive) and without matching some serious conditions (like Jumpdrive).

24. WeirdWizard Trainee Engineer

Hmm well I did build the impossible tower... Does that disqualify me?

25. Martinineter Senior Engineer

Quite possibly, acknowledgment is the first step to forgiveness. But we will never forget! There is no excuse for heretical activity the second time around!

26. TheAshenShadow Apprentice Engineer

Repentant heretics turned to the light and used against their former compatriots are the best kind!
    Well, second best. Dead heretic is best heretic.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. WeirdWizard Trainee Engineer

Oh but I couldn't possibly agree to that.. You'll never take my impossible tower from me!
    NEVER!

28. 3vil_Luigi Apprentice Engineer

^this

29. Nobodyhasthis Apprentice Engineer

Well here is the defense then. Why is it impossible?

Just about the same time Tsiolkovsky wrote down than tricky rocket equation. The one that says a ship needs fuel. Then more more fuel to lift the fuel. :p You know the one that KSP players have been fighting to overcome for hours of fun.
    He also came up with a way to get avoid the whole fuel problem. A big tower which is pulled up instead of being held up through gravity. Trouble is that should be impossible to build anything like that people said.

Then around the turn of the millennium somebody said the magic words "carbon nanotubes". Then last year someone came up with diamond nanothread. So if we add in all the time it take to get the rest of the SE technology and we get a so called an impossible tower. Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Of course if people don't agree they might get stabbed with a soft cushion :D

30. WeirdWizard Trainee Engineer

True, indeed one might say that anything that exists is by definition possible. But the question then becomes should it exist ;) If you want to see the impossible tower and answer that question yourself search youtube for The Impossible Tower and you should see my video there (kind of an old one but still one of my favs) :)

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.