Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

'the tic' small mining craft

Discussion in 'Survival' started by jaidens111, Aug 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

The tic is based off its larger cousin, the crusader. using a similar piston-gripping setup it can efficiently dig out the startings of a tunnel, before burrowing in completely. Additionally, it is remote control capable, allowing for remote usage from any other vessel.

pictures : https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BztqjIAwsDZHeVY1MzRocTVmY0E&usp=sharing

specs :
    9 small mining drills
    3 batteries
    4 landing gears
    2 medium cargo containers
    1 antenna
    1 connector
    15 small engines

Thats pretty much it! tell me if you guys like it, or if you have any additional questions.

( gold is still a bastard to refine >.> )

2. cloudinfinity Trainee Engineer

How do you find that the pistons work? I've been toying with the idea of using them on a mining ship... but given their buggy state, I'm still hesitant investing the resources...

3. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

@cloudinfinity For me the pistons work almost flawlessly, sometimes if you push on em to hard or just wrong they will snap, but otherwise i've had no piston related incidents...just rotors.

4. gladi099 Apprentice Engineer

How are you handling rocks flying round? just waste em?

5. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

@ gladi099 Yea pretty much, the large ship has the rocks get pulled out into the void, safely away from me, later i might make some kind of gravity catchers mitt, but ill see if i have to do that.

6. andykarta Apprentice Engineer

Its an interesting design. But it seems more like an excavator capable of making perfect rectangular holes than a miner which has to get into some tight places sometimes to get that 20 thousand kilos of silicon or whatever you need. It does lend itself to automated mining though and I think the braces are a great idea.

7. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

Thanks! After you get into the rock you would be surprised how easy it is to get any ore you need.

8. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

As of 1.043 ( i havent tested it last few patches) catchers mitts are buggy. Every now and then a piece of ore will 'teleport' inside the armor blocks and then detonate ripping the ship apart. This is on survival so Im sure its worse on MP.

9. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

great -.-

10. JonNathe Trainee Engineer

I actually made something similar but as a large vessel.
    [​IMG] It worked okay, the outer pistons lowered to grab the rock and move then the drills were turned on and the pistons pulled the entire ship into it, this takes away a lot of the shake involved with drills+pistons because the drills just sort of bang around inside the little hole you've made. Once you are securely anchored the main pistons are engaged.
    It was a fun project but it wasn't very useful, I have actually found rotors to be much more useful for auto mining, here is one very successful project:
    [​IMG]
    Just pull up next to a mining site, lock on to it with your landing gear, unlock the drill arm and turn the drills and rotor on. It will mine on its own and then once it has finished just place it back at the start position and dock with it via the connectors to offload all of the ore, I've made several of ships that use this method, this one has four refineries, 3 assemblers, and 1 large reactor.

11. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

Jon add me on steam http://steamcommunity.com/id/troabartonchmc
    I've been perfecting a ship like yours since conveyors came out. I think you would appreciate it and I invite you to check it out.

12. havok Apprentice Engineer

and heres my also similar but old design ( havent uploaded new one ) of a small ship varient

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jamesws70 Trainee Engineer

Jon and Troa, I've been using the same method since I started playing. I actually started using it on a station and just kept grinding the drills and placing them farther and farther out as I needed.

I've turned it into a large ship / mobile miner now, its not terribly nice to look at but it is certainly effective :)

14. Reikar Trainee Engineer

Since we are showing our piston driven miners here is the one i made. It uses 69 drills if i recall correctly, digs about 200 meters in to the asteroid, and on the test run I did in a survival world it filled up 15 of its 17 large cargo containers in a singe run.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. Andeerz Apprentice Engineer

Here's my baby! :3
    [​IMG]

I LOVE the Tic, BTW!!! and JonNathe, your rotor based chainsaw sort of miner is amazing.

16. jaidens111 Trainee Engineer

as per usual, i feel insignificant to the rest of the community, also andeerz, is your ships drill head sticking out to make a cone of sorts?

17. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

I've made a completed total of 5 versions to date. Im working on a new one that is going to be an old school version of the newest model.
    [​IMG]

And also because I'm insane I am at the same time upgrading my current one to have a shipping segment and capital thrusters. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I actually started out the same way James the "prototype" was a station and pivot with a small ship clamped to the side of the arm with all the drills on it. This was long before large ship drills.
    I later made a test bed that was essentially a mobile drilling platform / base dubbing it the Planet Cracker
    After that I've been making larger and larger versions incorporating all the new gifts of patchmas until this was birthed. Since then I've been optimizing and upgrading it. I've completely cut a large asteroid in half which I made a base in and am really just chewing on asteroids for the fun of it any more. The only resource I'm running out of is cobalt but that's largely because of batteries and these capital thrusters I'm putting everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 28, 2014
  18. af22man Trainee Engineer

I have the hoverbike mod, and so on my mining ships i always put a gravity generator on and set the gravity to go in the forwards direction. this way all the rocks stay against the asteroid im mining.

19. SoUlFaThEr Trainee Engineer

I just stumbled upon this forum but:

This thread makes me feel so noob.

All you do is stack a ton of pistons, and conveyor the stuff out of the drills into a ton of cargo boxes that are attached to the same construct that is being extended?? (then make a nice design of whatever houses/holds the pistons)

How are you guys controlling the shake of all those drills? What about all the drifting off debris?

20. Andeerz Apprentice Engineer

Don't feel insignificant! :3 You aren't! And the Tic is a-frikkin'-'dorable! And the fact that you actually built that in survival is impressive. Needless to say, my craft wasn't.

And, yes, the ships drill head is made into a cone of sorts. This really helps to keep it straight when drilling in, I think. This doesn't seem to work too well with my small ship version of my drilling ship.
    Pretty much... but the design also needs to also control the shake of the drills. A lot of people use thrusters and gyros to control the shake. My design attempts to avoid using thrusters and gyros (I wanted to make something that uses as little energy as possible!), and it does so pretty successfully (though I still use a few gyros... but they aren't even necessary). I make every other group of 4 pistons (one on each column of pistons) merged to one another with a ring of blocks (I hope this makes sense... just look at my ship; it will make more sense then) and guided with rotors on wheels on the inside. This keeps things fairly stable, but it still wobbles when extended. Here is the thread with more pictures that might show what I mean: http://forums.keenswh.com/post/andeerzs-large-mining-ship-7090337?pid=1284410477#post1284410477

If collision detection with blast doors wasn't borked and stuff and/or rails or sliding surface blocks of some sort existed that worked, it would be rather easy and straight forward to keep pistons from wobbling. There is a killer mod out there that introduces some excellent rails and gears which I will try out soon...
    As for drifting off debris... my design doesn't have that problem much at all; almost all of it is absorbed by the drills as it is mined since there is almost no empty space between the drills themselves where stuff can escape, as well as almost no empty space between the walls of the mining shaft and the drill head. For a small drilling ship based on the same principle as my large one, escaping debris is a bit of a problem. But I solve that in part by having a collector and a small funnel of blocks behind the drill head that collects stray debris. If it had a gravity generator (it doesn't, cuz I just don't like them as a game mechanic with their breaking of conservation of momentum...), this would make the collector all the more effective. :)

I hope this is clear!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2014
  21. SoUlFaThEr Trainee Engineer

Well thanks for the nice1 explanation Andeerz, but i seem to be incredibly far away from building something of that magnitude. Once you have something that big.....what are you building with the stuff you mined!!!!!! Holy crap this is where I see it less of a game and more like work :D hehe

22. Andeerz Apprentice Engineer

Oh, it was on creative mode. And I've never used anything I mined with it. It mines a lot, and quite efficiently, though!
    When it comes to magnitude, it's just repeating the same thing over and over to make things big enough. Essentially, my big ship is basically "the Tic" times about 20 with a bunch of stupid work needed to merge things together.
    Actually... I should probably upload the save I made during the middle of the construction of the ship. I tried to take a shortcut in merging everything together. Just imagine four long tendrils made of pistons with little spines sticking out with merge blocks. Now imagine me turning on said merge blocks and witnessing a "zipping up" of these tendrils. This "zipping up" took a long time to adjust so that it didn't spectacularly explode and send flailing piston-tentacles everywhere every time! :woot:

23. SoUlFaThEr Trainee Engineer

sounds nuts. not sure why but i havent yet used any pistons or tried to make blast doors or a big base yet, let alone make a vehicle with wheels.

I have a free month coming, possibly more I bet I am headed that direction :D In fact the very next thing I will build is a rotating drill arm to cut through a donut asteroid near my first self made refining platform thingy.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  24. Andeerz Apprentice Engineer

Yeah. Stick with the rotating drill arm. It sounds awesome! I wouldn't use pistons for a while until the devs improve them somehow. Pistons are a PAIN because they require so much to make them stable and not behave erratically, let alone break.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2014
  25. Ortikon Apprentice Engineer

Wow, space hippies would be chaining themselves to asteroids if they saw this thread...

26. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

ppppfffwwwwahahahaahaha!!

27. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

The Solar wings fold in for mining through the roid. It has a large reactor a couple refineries and several arc furnaces. The reactor is just backup power, the entire thing runs off solar power and batteries.

[​IMG]

28. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

That is one scary wall of teeth man >:D
    That solar array looks cooler the more i look at it, looking closer i see the cut outs for your lateral thrusters. i really like that there is someone out there as crazy as me to try and run something massive like this on battery power. the way i look at it if you build something to clear cut an asteroid why waste the uranium and drop down its effectiveness. with this level of production you can gather the materials needed to augment it with renewable power.

Drill press type miners are very versatile in that they can target the area they want to eat. they are also susceptible to damage which eats into profit. i have to say if you managed to mitigate damage with solar panels my hat is off to you sir.

29. MegaMiner Junior Engineer

Thank you for your appreciation of my work :D The panels rarely get damaged. I lose from 2-12 landing gears each pass, but those are cheap to replace and I could probably use heavy armor blocks in their place. It uses a gravity drive to pull itself through the roid, and I am planning to update it to shut down once its out the other side using the new sensors. Always something to work on.

30. Troa Barton Apprentice Engineer

I've always wondered if the suspension wheels under tension on all sides would work. havent tried it yet but it sounds cool in my head. makes me think of a massive steam engine in space making its own tracks.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.