Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

the unspoken Connector issues...

Discussion in 'General' started by Monkworks, Apr 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.
  1. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

OK. I have been playing this great game for years now. over 700 hours : 0

The biggest irritant for my current survival game is the inconsistent, unreliable connectors.

they tend to explode.. a lot...and it so frustrating i came all the way out to the forum to vent on it...

I have a carrier Mining system. My miners piggybacks off a larger mining platform. The miner fills up and returns to the carrier where it unloads. I back up to the connector and if your not perfectly aligned.

BOOM!! this tends to happen the first three attempts of a freshly loaded save. Then after that it reacts better.. but makes no sense why..

i. why make it explode like that? would the connector in reality not just sheer off if the mass is too great? A neer nuclear explosion is a little overkill.

ii. any tips to avoid this type of thing?

I know the game is not perfect and if this can't be fixed that's still ok.. but who could ever play this game of survival without saves or playing the ironman mode... good luck with that!!

2. Malware Master Engineer

Lower or even null out the pull strength.

The "explosion" is just an effect. There's no extra damage that occurs based on it, it's the same as if you'd hit any other functional block there. And there's no integrity check so there's no such thing as "too much mass". You're likely actually colliding with it, or getting pulled into it - or if you're playing multiplayer, desync: the server doesn't agree with the client where the ship is. With a lot of mass that collision is gonna destroy it very quickly.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

ok. so it mostly happening in remote. this could explain why you stated "server doesn't agree with the client where the ship is." must be relate to the miner being remote controlled...

because i have spend some time, slowly crawling up to the connector and making sure i am lined up perfectly...an hella ya the strength level of the connector is low
    Thanks!

4. Cyber Cheese Apprentice Engineer

I have not had a connector take damage in years. If you are remote controlling the ship on a server, that could be your problem, but it depends on the server. You should also make sure to press the "lock" button as soon as it is available.

5. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@Monkworks I had the same issue with remote connections, but if you set the strength to one of them to 0.010 it will no longer go BOOM! :)

Also watch your approach speed 7m/s or higher 9 times outta 10 it will explode.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Monkworks Trainee Engineer

thanks guys!

7. Stardriver907 Senior Engineer

Yeah, I have had to use values as low as .006 on marslike to connect two wheeled vehicles without incident. Perhaps Keen needs to take another look at connector strength. When using hotkeys or timer blocks to adjust connector strength, the increment levels are too high. You go from "disabled" to "way too much" in one click.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

Yeah, well, I built what I thought was a pretty spiffy modular cargo ship using connectors to lock the cargo modules to matching connectors on the ship (four per cargo module for stability; 10 modules per ship). The clang was very powerful with this build. When I converted it from a ship to a station it went, shall we say, quite ballistic...spinning around this way and that way...doing quite impossible things. Spaceman Spiff feels much sadness now. Much sadness.

I'll try again converting it to a ship, but before any cargo modules are installed. Then I'll try connecting the modules again. More later.

9. Malware Master Engineer

I usually prefer to just switch off the pull altogether and control it myself. The pull is more a problem than a help to me. Always was.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. dispair Apprentice Engineer

I have several playthroughs on planet survival, all based on battery operated mines that charge with connectors. I have had no problems in single player. Once I get to building a shuttle I have 2 miners, a flyer and a weldship all docked to connectors, the miners never have landing gear. No problems since planets came out, but I used to lower the connection force, it seems fine now.

11. Brent Kerman Trainee Engineer

I've blown up a lot of connectors when docking full (ie massive) miners to capital ships. I turned all connecters strength off and haven't blown one since. Collision damage comes from ships mass as well as speed, so docking light craft with mag on is fine, but don't do it with heavy ones.

12. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

I'm going to +1 on the turning the connector strength to ZERO. Even when set to zero there's a first initial tug. Set your connectors to zero when simply docking. You can always set them stronger if you plan on taking whatever is connected with you.

13. Malware Master Engineer

@Ronin1973 The connector strength doesn't affect the locked strength anyway, just the unlocked magnetic pull.

14. Ronin1973 Master Engineer

Someday, Keen will hire a technical writer. Someday.

15. Thrak Junior Engineer

Maybe the same guy who wrote the Marek-as-Hero SE novel they just announced....

Thread Status:
This last post in this thread was made more than 31 days old.