Welcome to Keen Software House Forums! Log in or Sign up to interact with the KSH community.
  1. You are currently browsing our forum as a guest. Create your own forum account to access all forum functionality.

This weather system...

Discussion in 'General' started by coco44, Jun 28, 2020.

1. coco44 Trainee Engineer

Hi

Played SE for for some time and liked the challenge presented in the game and then the new weather system come along... One of my favorites in SE was the fact that you can see so far and see the sunrise. I play survival on earth like planet, tundra side....now it always rains or are foggy......my views are gone.

The fog are indoors also, and in tunnels, even in sealed tunnels... making mining in deep tunnels harder, the light from spotlights just make the picture worse. (it's summer here with lots of sunlight, have to raise the luminescence. (hardware may affect this for sure...nvidia 970)

The lightning always kills my antennas even with a decoy sitting a few meters away. Faulty scale of aiming for the lightning? Even hit a antenna under some "should-be-earthed" framework. Too destructive lightning maybe? All things are made out of iron/steel and put into earth (grounded). Lightning should not damage anything connected (connector/merge block) to a grid or maybe even just standing on a grid.
    A ship parked unconnected on the ground is another matter....

Do we need lightning rods?

I like the weather system, it's add more realism but not if it get stuck like this or "always" hit by lightning every day. It kinda removes the fun of SE to be forced to check and repair every ship and antenna every hour.

Can I shut the weather system off?

Thanx for a good game for more technical persons :)

2. j2redlive Trainee Engineer

Personally I'd like to see the water droplets on the surfaces of our ships

• Like Like x 1
  3. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

The map options (the one where you turn sun rotation off, oxygen, spiders etc) has a check box for the weather system.

What i'd like to know is is there a sperate setting in a file I have to change for a map that was created before the patch, maybe adding a line to an .ini file or something. My current Mars playthrough has no automatic weather. I wasn't expecting rain but apparently Mars Dust storms are supposed to be a thing and not seen one yet. I have the admin options fine but no automatic weather.

4. j2redlive Trainee Engineer

You can actually force automatic weather in that same system window, I thought that was interesting.

5. coco44 Trainee Engineer

Hmm! That I need to know to.

;-)

6. Dante Darkstar Trainee Engineer

The issue I have with the new weather, that half the time it's rain/thunder/whatever close to maximum intensity. Clear day is almost like a mythincal non-existent entity now. When looking at the weather intensity, it's usually 0.9xxxx, while the lowest I have ever seen it without removing the weather was something around 0.4xxxx. With the amount of rain on Earthlike, you would guess the whole planet would turn to muddy swamp in matter of days - it's always raining, on the border of being ridiculous. I don't know if it was intended (which is bad) or oversight, but since I started a new game and played few hours, I have not seen clear weather except for 2 situations: 1) I move from desert (in constant sandstorm of course) to non-desert, and the weather takes time to update to something else, in meantime I could have a minute or two of being able to see around at the terrain, 2) I force the weather to clear. Which it then quickly reverts (from 0 intensity back to 0.9xxx) in matter of a minute or so.

In reality, thunderstorms are something you experience for an hour or so few times per YEAR. In SE currently you experience it even all-day (in-game day) long over and over.
    In reality, rain is something you experience for an hour up to a day few times a MONTH. IN SE currently it's almost the "default weather".

On another note, it could be good if there was "overcast" weather, where there is no fog/rain obscuring vision, only increased cloud cover and thus decreased solar energy. That could be very prevalent weather without being silly (like rain or thunderstorm).

7. Roxette Senior Engineer

Welcome to Space Engineers, where all new features are added in a very broken state and are adjusted and debugged over the following years...

8. Capt.SkuLL Apprentice Engineer

yeah the weather system seems to be unrealistic. if it keeps going like this then the desert where i am stationed at will be full of water.

ALSO today i played a new game, rained immediately after a minute of landing, then i heard a THUNDER from a distance, then everything freezes.

had to force shutdown my PC using the AVR.

9. Keith Cook Trainee Engineer

Hi new here been play the game about 2 weeks its awsome but i have to agree the new weather system in the DLC is Borked Mars is now basicly a 24 hr rolling storm front i found the alt f10 thing to turn off the current weather but within 3 mins storming it up again , Mark Watney didnt have that many storms n he was marooned ther for a good few month lmao.

10. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

Mine was solved by chaning the skybox mod. The one I was using wasnt allowing weather. After a couple of hours of the weather I might have to turn it off for now. I started a new map and did the usual build a gyro and remote on the drop pod to fly to a better location and got zapped and shot down, annoying but workable. What wasnt workable was within seconds of building a simple tower with a wind turbine on top it was zapped and destroyed.

Now, I know that I can turn lightning off in the admin settings but a new player A: Probably won't and B: shouldn't have to go into the admin system to be able to play the game with the weather system.

A temporary "fix" is a mod: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2143322540&searchtext=

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  11. coco44 Trainee Engineer

Which MOD did you use?

ALT F10 > clear weather all the time sucks.....

12. Roxette Senior Engineer

A very old or badly made one, probably - a lot of early 'skybox' mods, and some more recent ones that were produced by people with poor understanding of the implications of including more of the data than needed to just change the skybox image, include huge swathes of data which affect the environmental settings in ways that are no longer compatible with the current game and recently added features like weather. There's probably 80% of the existing Steam workshop mods that just need killing with fire because people add them unknowingly because they 'look cool' and then have to deal with a game that doesn't work or broken/lost saves.

13. mojomann71 Senior Engineer

@coco44 type in the chat box /weather clear

It seems to have a better/longer effect than using ALT F10

14. coco44 Trainee Engineer

Hi all....

Or stop SE weather system totally.

I found a post on internet (other forum something...) That you could edit just two files and get rid of all weather. I tested even a more straightforward way, just change two "true" to "false" and then no more weather changes. Timer seen on "ALT F10/weather settings" have stopped.

Open XML file "sandbox.sbc"and "sandbox_config.sbc" found in AppData for SE under saves and is present under all saves. Search for "weather" and change XML-key value "true" to "false" (only one instance in both files). Save the files and start SE. (SE not running of cause, AND IMPORTANT before you do this: set the to your likings or remove it altogether)

Nice here that you can alter just a specific save to not have weather and test.

Original tip was more dramatic, removing all references to the weather system, I just just disable it, easy to revert if you like.

file look like this:
    <DepositSizeDenominator>60</DepositSizeDenominator>
    <WeatherSystem>true</WeatherSystem> <== change here "false"
    <HarvestRatioMultiplier>0.8</HarvestRatioMultiplier>
    <TradeFactionsCount>15</TradeFactionsCount>

15. May Rears Apprentice Engineer

It was indeed an old mod, i've got rid of it so dont have the link at hand but the one I am using now which works perfectly is this a darker version of the vanilla skybox by Doctor Octoganapus, strangely enough this would count as an "old" mod being from 2017 but everything works including the weather: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=859267118

16. coco44 Trainee Engineer

Hi

As you see in my post above yours I did fix the annoyance with the weather by some help from a different forum.

I think I skip modding the sky.....I dont need it any more, thx anyway.

17. Concave Apprentice Engineer

I have been thinking of an effects model that gives us the ability to crash large grids into a planet without sim speed drop. Players would be initiating fast travel vectors and if a collision is "planned", then we can use rendering tricks to cover up a pre-rendered crater and cause the grid to automatically disappear before the actual terrain deformation event occurs (CPU heavy load).

The fog you speak of (limited visibility) would then slowly fade in around the area where the crash was "arranged" to simulate the dust and ashes settling. This will be a PVP gameplay mechanic because this wreckage would be valuable salvage and can act as a competitive shooting arena. A blossoming smoke screen effect (see YouTube videos of distant large explosions or demolitions) will be necessary to hide the delayed rendering of the new crater and calculated wreckage of the grid.

Also corresponding camera shaking effects, visual blurring, shockwave effects, and audio with appropriate reverb and delayed distance effect so we can really "feel" a large scale destructive event (mixing audio to allow the rumble of large events to override all local player audio, even voice chat)

Let's say that the 109 m/s max speed cap can be increased to 5 -50 km/s but only when a player calculates their destination. This is how we pre calculate intersections and collisions.

18. Meoris Trainee Engineer

I've given up on the weather and will be turning it off in my play throughs. I went to space and stayed there when it first came out, due to how often I was getting hit by lightning. Seeing posts that it's less aggressive, I decided to give planet side a try again. After about two hours, I got hit, and considered that reasonable, so no complaint. About five minutes later, I got hit again, with about half an hour of design work wiped out by the same hit on the rover I was building. Definitely a complaint about being unreasonably close. Fast forward about two hours, I'm around two hundred meters into a mountain, with no direct line from my position to the surface, flying with jetpack in a bay, and I got flipping hit by lightning....

I'm done with it. It's a great idea, and if I could just turn off the lightning, I'd probably be happy, as the weather system is a very nice addition to game play for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Spaceman Spiff Senior Engineer

You must be quite attractive.

• Funny Funny x 3